I will not be buying an Evoque

Sporky McGuffin

I saw a transporter full of Evoques in Leicester yesterday - at first I thought it was full of accident damaged vehicles that had been group reversed under low bridges. They were obviously bound for Essex, given the blinding amount of 'bling' adorning them :rofl:

Sporky - enjoy your XF (I take it you are going for the 3.0d V6).  Mine is my 3rd Jaguar (after two X-Types) and after 160,000 miles, I have found overall quality and reliability to be better than my experience of both BMW and VW Group products (including the Yeti).  The one big problem I have had was the dreaded intermittent "Restricted Performance" warning which now, thankfully, seems to have been sorted.  From what I can gather, few manufacturers have avoided some kind of problems when extracting this sort of performance and economy from an engine.

Like the Yeti, I think the XF really excels on fast A- and B-roads where the harshly-suspended Germans start to get very untidy.  I was very disappointed with the C-Class in just about every respect, it seems you are expected (as with the new 3-and 5-Series) to fork out an extra £2/3000 for their "dynamic suspension" packages (money you won't get back at trade-in).  As for the UI, I agree the touchscreen is slow, but I find locating minor controls such as defrost/screen heating much easier than on the Yeti.  And I've never had any reliability problems with the "toys".  I hope you are getting HID lights - the pre-facelift standard halogens are useless and even my optional HIDs are not as good as the Yeti.

Residuals - I have been pleasantly surprised with what I was offered on both X-Types, even with 30k/yr on the clock.  I did look at trading the XF for a Superb TFSI Combi now that I am not doing 110 miles a day and could use something more practical - but even as a straight swap for the 2-year-old XF I would have ended up worse off after 3 years.  The Superb is still a very impressive car though and I would have one over a C-Class any day.

Oh, and I think the Evoque looks OK but it is way, way overpriced for a 4-cylinder smallish SUV.

Mark

• Like 1

I saw a transporter full of Evoques in Leicester yesterday - at first I thought it was full of accident damaged vehicles that had been group reversed under low bridges. They were obviously bound for Essex, given the blinding amount of 'bling' adorning them :rofl:

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

We're not all TOWIES :wall:

Edited by Trevorminor

Sporky - enjoy your XF (I take it you are going for the 3.0d V6).

Aye - 3.0d (not the S) and Premium Luxury. The S is tempting but it's about another £6k or so (you do get more than just the power hike but the extras aren't worth it to me). Having just seen the estate images, though, I'll be waiting for one of those, no question.

In the meantime I did try an Infiniti, an M35h. Ye gods that was quick. Nice inside too, but not that much fun to drive other than in a straight line, and the boot is tiny and the rear seats don't fold and they wouldn't tell me anything about what it'd really cost until I had a wodge of cash to wave at them. Also I didn't like the music in the showroom - it didn't fit with the generally relaxed and classy atmosphere. They were very friendly and helpful though. Oh, and it did the same thing as the Evoque in that very light accelerator pressure seemed to result in a bit more "go" than I'd like - both were hard to "creep" in traffic. Worst of all the Infiniti had a daft foot-operated parking brake - though at least it was foot-release too, so not as daft as the Mercedes approach.

Lady BMcH, my best beloved, has approved the Jaguar on the basis that it's red, which seems reasonable to me.

It's a bit odd though - on the one hand I can't wait, on the other I still really love the Yeti - it just does so many things so very well. If the waiting list was shorter and they did a gruntier auto 4x4 then I'd probably have had another.

Edited by Sporky McGuffin

• 2 months later...

Sorry to open an old thread, but I recently test drove the face lift Merc C Class 350CDi Sport. The adaptive dampers are only £500 and the latest 7G plus gearbox is a big improvement over the sluggish older version. With 265ps and over 450 of your pound foots, it felt slightly quicker than my 3.0tdi A4 as well as being slightly more economical on my afternoons test drive (a lot more so with the stop start switched on). The interior quality is much improved too and imho is similar to the A4 and 3 series. But the best bit is the current offer for the PCP 4K deposit and £380 a month. There is still money in car that can be haggled (drive the deal show an equivalent of around £4k left in the car to haggle on! Good spec too

Sorry to open an old thread, but I recently test drove the face lift Merc C Class 350CDi Sport. The adaptive dampers are only £500 and the latest 7G plus gearbox is a big improvement over the sluggish older version. With 265ps and over 450 of your pound foots, it felt slightly quicker than my 3.0tdi A4 as well as being slightly more economical on my afternoons test drive (a lot more so with the stop start switched on). The interior quality is much improved too and imho is similar to the A4 and 3 series. But the best bit is the current offer for the PCP 4K deposit and £380 a month. There is still money in car that can be haggled (drive the deal show an equivalent of around £4k left in the car to haggle on! Good spec too

And your "Yeti" point is???? Please explain.............

And your "Yeti" point is???? Please explain.............

The OP opined about the merits of a C Class and the Jag etc !!!!.............

Edited by Lady Elanore

The OP opined about the merits of a C Class and the Jag etc !!!!.............

Ah!

Dung again!

I live my life up to my armpits in dung. Sometimes even further. And when you mentioned the Evoke, I could feel even more submerging assailing me....

• Like 1

Ah!

Dung again!

I live my life up to my armpits in dung. Sometimes even further. And when you mentioned the Evoke, I could feel even more submerging assailing me....

No probs. At least you will be warm :)