OMG HEADLIGHTS CR@PPY

I recently drove my 2013 down south coming back up the road at night was brutal dark and pushing down

What options have we got ?

I've replaced the bulbs for the H7 Night Breakers still rubbish

I recently drove my 2013 down south coming back up the road at night was brutal dark and pushing down

What options have we got ?

I've replaced the bulbs for the H7 Night Breakers still rubbish

Have you checked the alignment?

Mine like many others based on various posts here and elsewhere left the factory low.

I raised the beams and have never been flashed by oncoming drivers nor had MOT issue so could probably get away with a bit more although effect might be limited by the bulb / lens range.

Have you checked the alignment?

Mine like many others based on various posts here and elsewhere left the factory low.

I raised the beams and have never been flashed by oncoming drivers nor had MOT issue so could probably get away with a bit more although effect might be limited by the bulb / lens range.

How are they adjusted ?

• Like 1

I have single 'cornering' H7 projectors in my 2007 Roomster Scout with Nightbreakers and they are LETHAL down country lanes where I live.

Is the twin H7 headlamp any better? Is it a straight swap? 

Edited by b1ackb1rd

Surely only lethal down country lanes when on dipped beam and at speeds below 60mph.

Full beam must be pretty good at NSL's on Back Roads.

I find full beam too bright on Motorways etc when they make huge roadside signs very very bright.

I've never found the headlights a problem TBH.

I messed with the levelling in the car and found the lights better than I thought but on dipped its way too low. I will have a play with the levels tonight 

• Like 1

One comment for all of those looking at +70 or +80% bulbs are that they don't last very long.

I'd take a long hard look at osram silverstars or phillips vision plus, which are both +50%, but last a lot longer than the higher brightness bulbs.

Typically I'd say a normal bulb will last me 2 years and a +30% one only a little less (it's hard to tell). The 50% bulbs lasted between 12 and 18 months and the 70% bulbs I had one set go in 6 months, the other last only 9.

I freely admit I did a lot of miles in those years, but for me the 50% bulbs were a good compromise of price, vs performance vs life.

I decided to follow this advice.

Surely only lethal down country lanes when on dipped beam and at speeds below 60mph.

Full beam must be pretty good at NSL's on Back Roads.

Dip and full, are both terrible compared to the Touran I have just sold

• Like 1

There you go then, the more expensive car got lights that worked and the VW Group budget brand turned out models with crap lights in the first models, the second generation, then the facelift as well.

People were unhappy for years, and Skoda UK never said to Skoda CZ these lights fitted to the cars we import are sh!te and even worse your sh!te lights are often badly adjusted from the Production line and many are never adjusted until the MOT which is after 3 years on the road.

When I first got my monte I couldn't believe how rubbish the headlights were, full beam was ok but dipped was ridiculous!

Proper adjustment and a set of HID's have sorted it, shame xenons weren't a factory option like on the MK1

I have a Elegance fabia and I have not noticed a problem with them... and my previous car (Ford Fiesta 03) was H4 HID (I got flashed all the time with dip beams on, even though the car passed an MOT at Ford) 

Can someone explain to me all the different headlights the fabia has... I have seen the basic model with H4's and mine has a Projector and another bulb with the sidelight, is there another light unit out there? 

Fitted the Osram Silverstars tonight and adjusted the levels. Im a lot happier than I was. They dont turn night into day but there is a considerable improvement. Didnt find it difficult to get my hand in to change them but it was a bugger to get the lampholders out and back in.

For the first time in 3 years I finally feel confident in going down the country lanes at night. The Fabia was the worst car I have ever had BAR NONE for headlights. I had a Triumph TR2 with better lights than the Fabia.

The Kia Cee'd has Xenons which are bright & don't dazzle, far better than the HID conversion I did on the Fabia.

• Like 1

I have had some real horror shows of cars i used regularly which came with terrible dipped headlights as standard in the 2 decades.

Worst by far was the Toyota iQ, next the Fabia Mk2 vRS these were even worse than a 2001 Citroen Saxo & a Kia Picanto.

(all apart from the Skoda had thankfully front Driving lights or Fog lights, which could be useful.)

All other cars before and since have been fitted with decent lights by the manufacturers.

Best of all of for the Dipped beam & Full beam was a daily (nightly) driver which was with a 2009 Hyundai i30.

• 1 year later...
On 28/07/2016 at 16:24, JGrindel said:

Can someone explain to me all the different headlights the fabia has... I have seen the basic model with H4's and mine has a Projector and another bulb with the sidelight, is there another light unit out there? 

I'd love to hear the answer to the question above - I've read this post into five pages now, and I've found the discussion really useful.

Thanks,

Trystan