YETI (brand new) AND STRANGE NOISE

Ben1812

Just picked up my new Petrol 1.8 Yeti Elegance yesterday and very pleased so far. One thing, however, as I depress the clutch to move up gear I can hear a one-click noise (quite soft) from the rear of the car. It only happens when clutch is depressed in readiness to move up gears and not when clutch is depressed in readiness to move down gears. The soft click actually occurs before I begin to move the gearstick. Maybe its normal so just wondered if any other new owners have noticed this before I bother the dealership? Thanks in advance.

Just picked up my new Petrol 1.8 Yeti Elegance yesterday and very pleased so far. One thing, however, as I depress the clutch to move up gear I can hear a one-click noise (quite soft) from the rear of the car. It only happens when clutch is depressed in readiness to move up gears and not when clutch is depressed in readiness to move down gears. The soft click actually occurs before I begin to move the gearstick. Maybe its normal so just wondered if any other new owners have noticed this before I bother the dealership? Thanks in advance.

Mine is 6 weeks old but is a 1.2, can't say I've heard anything like this.

Are you sure it's the rear of the car? I have a 1.8 petrol Elegance too. The clutch pedal has a very faint click (up and down) about halfway through the travel. I assume it's just the clutch detect switch (on the actual pedal assembly) for the management systems.

Are you sure it's the rear of the car? I have a 1.8 petrol Elegance too. The clutch pedal has a very faint click (up and down) about halfway through the travel. I assume it's just the clutch detect switch (on the actual pedal assembly) for the management systems.

Thanks for your reply. Just taken the car back to the dealership today and got a technician to drive the car with me. He confirmed the noise appears to come from the rear of the car. He didn't know the cause but thought he had heard it on other Yetis but never really thought about it as a problem. He gave a fairly long test drive and didn't think it was anything to worry about. Also, he thought it would be really hard to track down the cause and suggested that I wait to see if the noise gets louder and then it might be easier to determine the cause. Really nice guy and came out twice in car (first drive couldn't hear problem due to noise of heavy rain on car!). However, I am not exactly happy about it - I don't really feel inclined to accept rattles and noises on a top of range model thats a week old. Not sure what to do next really.

Edited by Ben1812

I have a 1.8TSI as well, I went for a drive this morning and had a good listen. Once going from 5th to 6th I did clearly hear a single click from the rear as I pressed the clutch. Only once though in an hours drive with quite a few gear changes. I was mainly driving on a new road with a very quiet surface so I’m pretty sure I would have heard the noise if it was more than once.

I have a 1.8TSI as well, I went for a drive this morning and had a good listen. Once going from 5th to 6th I did clearly hear a single click from the rear as I pressed the clutch. Only once though in an hours drive with quite a few gear changes. I was mainly driving on a new road with a very quiet surface so I’m pretty sure I would have heard the noise if it was more than once.

Thanks for your Reply Timmy 7. The click noise is more noticeable in lower gears - Once you pick up a bit of speed I think engine and road noise starts to obscure the noise. You might start to notice it a bit more now that its been highlighted! Sorry about that! If you start to notice it a bit more be interested to hear. cheers.

Tried mine tonight. No noise similar to what you describe and as I listened I realised it was one of the few times I'd had the music switched off for any real length of time since buying the car last April!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

It seems I got a similar issue. I got my new Yeti 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG on NEW YEAR. I have made 700 km of driving and since last week I have been hearing a strange noise comming from the back. The noise is something like a click and it is obvious when I press harder the accelerator and then let go. This happens specially in lower gears. I took the car to the reapir service in my city and made a drive with the guys from Skoda. We made a ride together and they also could hear the noise and checked the car from bellow. After 30 min they came back and told me that everything looks OK. However the car still makes that noise from time to time. If anybody can tell me what the reason is and how to fix it I will go and tell that to the service guys so it can get fixed. I like the YETI very much and I waited for 3 months to get it, but it is a bit anoying to think that your brand new car has a problem since day one.

Thanks in advance!

Having read this post I listened very carefully when I took my same-spec Yeti into town and back this morning but could hear no untoward noises at all, and definitely no clicks when depressing the clutch.

Hi, I got my new Yeti 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG. I like the YETI very much and I waited for 3 months to get it

Only 3 months. Mine took 5 months and many others in the UK took many more than mine to arrive. Lucky you.

Not noticed any 'clicks' from the back of mine. But I don't have a clutch to press either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. Just taken the car back to the dealership today and got a technician to drive the car with me. He confirmed the noise appears to come from the rear of the car. He didn't know the cause but thought he had heard it on other Yetis but never really thought about it as a problem. He gave a fairly long test drive and didn't think it was anything to worry about. Also, he thought it would be really hard to track down the cause and suggested that I wait to see if the noise gets louder and then it might be easier to determine the cause. Really nice guy and came out twice in car (first drive couldn't hear problem due to noise of heavy rain on car!). However, I am not exactly happy about it - I don't really feel inclined to accept rattles and noises on a top of range model thats a week old. Not sure what to do next really.

Hi Ben, were you able to solve the noise problem? Some feedback would be very welcomed as I would like to solve this issue too!

Been driving mine around for the last couple of days without any audio on. Cannot hear any strange clicks either from the rear of the car or the area around the clutch pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, Simply Clever!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It seems I got a similar issue. I got my new Yeti 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG on NEW YEAR. I have made 700 km of driving and since last week I have been hearing a strange noise comming from the back. The noise is something like a click and it is obvious when I press harder the accelerator and then let go. This happens specially in lower gears. I took the car to the reapir service in my city and made a drive with the guys from Skoda. We made a ride together and they also could hear the noise and checked the car from bellow. After 30 min they came back and told me that everything looks OK. However the car still makes that noise from time to time. If anybody can tell me what the reason is and how to fix it I will go and tell that to the service guys so it can get fixed. I like the YETI very much and I waited for 3 months to get it, but it is a bit anoying to think that your brand new car has a problem since day one.

Thanks in advance!

This is something like I have been having on my Yeti too. What you explain here, I believe is different problem than in other posts before.

This "click" seems like coming from rear suspension, so when I reported it to my Skoda dealer in Croatia, they spend almost all day (together with me on the end) to find where this "click" coming from. All possible source on rear suspension and rear bumpers were checked, but sound is not coming from there. Than we figure out that "click" disappear when you keep pulling rear door (right door in my case) with strong power. So first solution is to readjust rear door, but after few days "click" will come back. Skoda already has some "service bulletin" about it and will change under warranty this part (I don't know correct part name in English) to customers who reported this problem:

starig.jpg

This is affecting Yeti produced up to 11/2010

It is easy to find out if you have old or new model of this part - old ones are black, new ones are in "chrome" (silver) color.

After this was replaced on my Yeti, I never hear this "click" anymore.

So far no need to replace all of them; in my case they just replaced on right side on front and rear door (my car is LHD of course).

This is something like I have been having on my Yeti too. What you explain here, I believe is different problem than in other posts before.

This "click" seems like coming from rear suspension, so when I reported it to my Skoda dealer in Croatia, they spend almost all day (together with me on the end) to find where this "click" coming from. All possible source on rear suspension and rear bumpers were checked, but sound is not coming from there. Than we figure out that "click" disappear when you keep pulling rear door (right door in my case) with strong power. So first solution is to readjust rear door, but after few days "click" will come back. Skoda already has some "service bulletin" about it and will change under warranty this part (I don't know correct part name in English) to customers who reported this problem:

starig.jpg

This is affecting Yeti produced up to 11/2010

It is easy to find out if you have old or new model of this part - old ones are black, new ones are in "chrome" (silver) color.

After this was replaced on my Yeti, I never hear this "click" anymore.

So far no need to replace all of them; in my case they just replaced on right side on front and rear door (my car is LHD of course).

Thanks for the info!

However my problem is still there! My Yeti is produced end of 2011 and the part that you mention is in "chrome". I am starting to think that the noise has something to do with the DSG! I still haven't found out what the reason is but if it still persists I will go visit the Skoda service once again and insist that they find the reason!

Many thanks for your post!

Edited by ralchoman

• 6 months later...

This irritation with clicking noise from rear of car when changing up gear is still persisting. First service is due in 8 weeks so will be asking the dealership to "take the car apart" and idintify the problem. I'll update with anything of interest but in the meantime just wondered if anyone else has some news on this issue. Thanks

Edited by Ben1812

BRAKE PADS PLAY

As far as I have noticed also on precedent cars owned, I think it's normal.

The brake pads have a slight play (upwards / downwards) in the caliper. As the pads always slightly touch the discs, when no braking force is applied, they tend to move in the dirrection of the rotation. I can sometimes hear a slight "click" after changing 1st to R or R to 1st, while slowly starting to move in the new dirrection - especially when parking in quite places and windows open.

Aniway - if someone fears it's abnormal - have the car checked at authorised garage !