cheap and simple sat nav

'daiking'

I inherited a tom tom 'one' after my mum got a car with built in sat nav.

Much much better than the sony satnav I had before it.

Easy to use, easy to follow and now has Darth Vader giving me instructions.

We also have a Garmin and a navman. The tom tom is better than al of these.

Any basic Tom Tom should do the trick.

Just keep an eye on the sales Halfords will often clear out satnavs.

We've a TomTom XXL which we paid £140 for but was soon available for £99. IT's got full postcode search and lane guidance which is handy.

Map updates are expensive (and I'll need to get it because it's feckin annoying going through Glasgow now on the updated motorway) and it's been wrong on a couple of occasions. But it's been pretty good mostly.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_780765_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

there are 3 tomtom refurb models on their outlet site for under £100.

XL IQ, Start2 & ONE. All of which means nothing to me. I like the traffic info provided by Google nav but don't needit from this unit so a GO Live would be OTT.

I'm guessing the XL IQ is the best of those

I think the IQ bit just means it finds the best route quicker.

The live traffic info needs to feed through your phone and is a subscription (I think, not 100% sure).

Lane guidance is handy so I'd check for that.

I need a sat nav for my wife.

Had to come - is that a swap :rofl:

(PC Ventris mode)

If mine could be pesuaded to drive ,I'd get one that kept her away for some time (Ventris mode/)

Sorry ,I've got to go -Mrs VWD has seen scren,and I'm being taken to task........... :wonder:

I think the IQ bit just means it finds the best route quicker.

The live traffic info needs to feed through your phone and is a subscription (I think, not 100% sure).

Lane guidance is handy so I'd check for that.

Traffic is subscription but is a part of the live package. Google search, speed cameras, petrol prices etc also included.

It uses its own built in sim card (no call costs) and has been incredibly accurate at predicting delays.

Will admit to using Google Navigation on my phone occasionally and its brilliant for free but the Tomtom is still better (but expensive at £50 per year for Live)

All the best

Edited by Lemming

Traffic is subscription but is a part of the live package. Google search, speed cameras, petrol prices etc also included.

It uses its own built in sim card (no call costs) and has been incredibly accurate at predicting delays.

Will admit to using Google Navigation on my phone occasionally and its brilliant for free but the Tomtom is still better (but expensive at £50 per year for Live)

All the best

Google nav is fine for me and free as a bonus

what phone has she got?

motorola dext which is an android phone but **** and I don't want to further complicate things for her

I am still wondering how far it is to the shops, that she needs a satnav.

Drive her in a few times and buy her a street map, she will soon figure it out!!!!

She wouldn't know the useful side of a map from the back of it, let alone how to use one, nor the fact that I've been driving her to the shops for 8 years so she should know the routes by now.

WOW, yet you think she will be able to handle a satnav.

I personally hate them, but thet is probably influenced by the fact that they ALL label the local quarry as the main road to Hereford; and it doesnt matter that it is a narrow, steep, gravel track with a huge warning sign to tell you it ISNT the main road to Hereford, but a dead end with no turn-around point; the satnav plonkers STILL drive up it, get stuck, and have to be rescued.

And not just cars, they get HGVs and coaches stuck up there!!!!

Wehn i bought my tomtom one thing i realised not to do was to buy a refurb from tomtom themselves as they are dearer than what you can buy them new!!! Even the tomtom customer help were shocked when i told them i could buy it cheaper new from else where rather than their refurb!!!

K:)

Don't know if it's just my local Tesco Extra , but they've got one in stock ,cheaper than Comet etc .Can't remember the make .Anyone sees it can they pass judgement ?.Will try and find name/make tomorrow ,when I go .

Not used it yet, she's managed to find the supermarket all by herself. It's only half a mile I suppose

Sympathise -daughter used to take us places.Many a time I ha to bite my tongue as she went round the houses as it "was the way I'm used to taking".Strange -us blokes constantly look for shortest route .La femme carries on taking the circular route .

My mother tried out the sat nav on the Merc they had joust bought from a dealer in Slough, it took them on and off of the M25 three times before they reached the M4 junction; apparently they were heading for Southampton at one point!!!:rofl:

Mind you, she could have used it in Orlando; the 12 miles from the Disney Park to out apartment never took less than an hour and 40-70 miles. :doh:

The one in Tesco Extra is a Mio Satman - not bad price ,but screen is small .Looking at another one from Tesco Direct for Daughter -rac515 , knocked own by £30 to £49.99 .Reviews all give ease of use as good -needs to be for her .Anyone comment on the RAC range ?

RAC 4300 - Halfrauds was almost £70 ,now 49.9 - got good reviews on ease to use .

Comments please .