Spotted

domhnall

as per the title, on the way home from Glasgow this evening and we ended up following a gritter home. Stayed well back as he was lashing the salt out. Looks like the mild weather is over :thumbup:

I was down in London today and they were moaning about the cold - 12 degrees. Then I pointed out that it was + 1 when I drove to the airport this morning. No more moaning ;-)

Yup saw the first one yesterday. I was surprised, it was cold but not that cold.

Roads cool by radiating heat, so they can be much cooler than the air temperature (for the pedants, apart from the air immediately next to the road surface). This is why the temperature 'bong' goes off at +4.0 degrees usually, to make an allowance for this (although that is an approximation). Car windscreens etc. cool down even more rapidly than roads as they radiate in much the same way, but don't have much heat capacity so cool quickly, hence the car windscreen is often frozen even when the air temp is reading +1.0 degrees. Bit of winter info! :thumbup:

You may not realise it but the Highways Agency gritters are actually road tested outside the gritting season to ensure that they do not just seize up, so seeing a gritter near to a Highways Agency depot is not that unusual at any time of the year!!! (it's sad that I know that and I'm going back to my corner quietly now :( )