Alconbury

TaviaRS

Well, we had a fun day! :D Weather was a bit iffy, rather like my tyres! I'm sure Colin and Ian will put up some stills and maybe some video footage of the day.

Just reviewing the footage that Colin took on my camera from his car :D

Ian, thanks for letting me drive your car. Once the first lap was over I felt comfortable with it, just a shame you wouldn't let me use the blues and twos! Apologies if your n/s front is a bit worn, and as for telling me before we went out that I had to keep all the electronic trickery turned on, then you reaching across after a couple of laps to turn it off . You trying to make me into a hooligan? :D Told you I drive like my granny :wink: I started off all good to try and get a video of your car from Colin's, but then I just had to see what she'd do. Sorry, there's only about 2 laps with the ambulance in shot :D :D

Sandra, next time you WILL come out with me. I am actually very sane.

Well, I'd better get on with this video malarky.

Jon

• Administrators

Jon,

I figured that might be the case...I'd quite like to get my hands on the vids and I'll take a copy from Ian.

Mainly the Leon sketch. As thats not a bad comparison since he was on the APR 98 program and I on the 95 with 4x4. I do hope it was recording...have to dub radio 2 off, can't have folk knowing that sort of information. :oops:

Oh and Alconbury...dry this morning with a nice slippy feel and in the afternoon it rained.

Sadly I don't have alot of stills (40 or so), but looking for the cable all the same to upload.

Really learnt alot about the car today and thats the whole point of the exercise. The fact that as a straight line/circuit car it is not!

It does not have the pace for similar 1.8 specs, but I've at least seen my ESP light now...Sorry Sandra :P

I would do it again especially for

• Administrators

Videos are done.

Many thanks Jon. You'll find a video of me following Ian's 4x4 with Jon at the wheel till I loose him.

Then another one of me following a Seat Leon 1.8T on an APR (98) chip.

Hope you enjoy, please don't cross link videos from your sites, download and host ;)

Hope you enjoy.

• Administrators

Hi and welcome to Briskoda.

I love videos of drives, they help so much in analysis. The main reason I asked Jon for that vid and subsquently hosted it was:

a: could not keep up with Jon.

b: wanted a good comparison of the 1.8T 20V engines in a FWD and 4x4.

I think we got that, and the bonus that you were on APR(98) like me (95) highlights the 4x4 losses in a straight line even more and the extra that an optimax program gives.

It was a good day and hopefully we can all meet again very soon.

Colin.

One thing I learned is that stock standard brakes may be OK for normal road use, but on the track they were a real problem.

After breaking hard at the bottom of the main straight and then into the first chicane there wasn't a lot left for the rest of the lap.

The 2500's held out well, but I tended to scrub off speed rather than brake much, which could explain the current state of my tyres!

Jon had one "pedal soft" moment when driving mine but a quick second stab seemed to grab fine, so still not sure if I may have a little air in the lines.

Nick, what were you driving? The red Leon?

No I don't think so Neil, we have some standards! :D

Yes I do have more video, I just need to upload it. I'll do some more tonight. I lent my camcorder to Colin, so all footage is from his car.

I'll see what I've got and will either mail it to Colin for him to host or get an FTP address from Ian. It will all be on here, just not sure when.

Colin, I like your pictures, but the thumbnails are ****e! Looks very foggy, its only when I opened it up that I saw my car in all its bald tyred glory!

When's the next one???? :D

Colin, the GPS I use is a Garmin Etrex Summit mounted on the dashboard.

The software is an excellent shareware program called 'GPS Utility' which can be downloaded from www.gpsu.co.uk.

Since it logs time, speed and distance I suppose I could get acceleration out of it but the update time is not really short enough so accuracy would be pretty poor.

• Administrators

Nick,

Thanks, I thought it might of been somthing like the DL90 or AP22 as dicussed over on Cupra. Seeing it's a software interface to a standard GPS is equally as good...might have to dig out my old one from my winter walking days. Although I seriously doubt it's got the interfacing capabilities required.

Jon,

Re thumbnails, yeah I know there pants arn't they. They are made on the fly using the GD functions compiled into PHP. On my test machine there okay. If anybody has a top php based gallery that is really low maintenance could you pm me. I have a few under test locally, but you never find the best things without input.