Hazard Warning Switch LED

Hi all,

Had my 1.4TSI DSG Octy 11 reg early May this year.

Just returned home from a short trip and having switched off the engine and now that its dark early, noticed that the Hazard warning switch LED (console centre) was dimly lit.

After locking the car, ten seconds or so later the same switch LED starts dimly flashing slightly faster than once per second. This cannot be observed in anything other than total darkness.

I have checked out the manual and cannot find any reference to this behaviour.

Is this normal or a fault?

Thanks in advance

ITTone.

This intrigued me so I popped outside to look at mine. Sure enough the hazard warning switch is flashing just as you describe, so it seems unlikely that it's a fault unless we both have the same problem. No idea why it's doing it though, something to do with the alarm maybe?

Have been onto the local Skoda garage today about my findings..... "Never heard of the problem before."

So, if you 2010 and 2011 Octy owners wouldn't mind testing out my initial thread findings to see if your Hazard warning light is dim and then flashes dimly after setting the alarm this evening, I and probably Skoda would be very greatful.

Please let us know here.

Thanks

ITTone.

Edited by ittone

Have been onto the local Skoda garage today about my findings..... "Never heard of the problem before."

So, if you 2010 and 2011 Octy owners wouldn't mind testing out my initial thread findings to see if your Hazard warning light is dim and then flashes dimly after setting the alarm this evening, I and probably Skoda would be very greatful.

Please let us know here.

Thanks

ITTone.

Yep mine flashes dimly (can only see it if it is very dark).

Edited by gsp

OK,

So it seems to be a feature of the later models of the Octy.

Now all we need to do is find out what the hell it is monitoring, as it is far from being synchronised with the door alarm LED.

I shall ring the dealer in the morning and point him to this thread for full info and to take it up with Skoda UK.

Thanks all for your input.

ITTone.

Edited by ittone

It could be an indication that the ultrasonic sensors are now active, as I think they get activated a little while after the door switches.

It could be an indication that the ultrasonic sensors are now active, as I think they get activated a little while after the door switches.

Disabled that and tried. No difference.

Just adding in that I can confirm mine is also doing this (2011 model).

I guess the real question here - is this actually causing any problems?

As this is happening on all new cars then it is obviously by design. It's not causing any problems, so any real need to investigate further?

OK,

So it seems to be a feature of the later models of the Octy.

Now all we need to do is find out what the hell it is monitoring, as it is far from being synchronised with the door alarm LED.

I shall ring the dealer in the morning and point him to this thread for full info and to take it up with Skoda UK.

Thanks all for your input.

ITTone.

WHY?? It''s clearly meant to do it so what the problem?..... Actually while you're at it why not ask the dealer why the car seems to speed up when you press the right hand pedal.......

WHY?? It''s clearly meant to do it so what the problem?..... Actually while you're at it why not ask the dealer why the car seems to speed up when you press the right hand pedal.......

Haha, sarcastic but I like it. In fairness though, as the old saying goes, if it aint broke....

Edited by sdwilliams72

No offence taken, as I'm of the older generation and mature in outlook.

If some red LED is flashing on any electronic equipment and no technical reference exists, then one can only assume there is a fault.

Being in the electronics industry for many years, I'm inquisitive by nature and live on a 'need to know basis'.

In respect of the HW LED, I now know that my car is acting in the same manner as other new cars, so one can assume that no fault exists, thanks to the positive answers placed on this thread other members also now know about it.

So, as this LED function is not documented, I intend to find out what this LED is indicating and when I do I will inform other members. If you already know the LED's indication then please post here.

ps: My right pedal is for smooth acceleration in a refined auto whilst thinking about what's on the table for dinner when I get home..............Certanly not for using more juice than necessary.

ITTone

Edited by ittone

I agree, being from the engineering profession myself, we need to know how things work, its the law!

It is some comfort when you come across people who clearly get paid too much and you have to show them how to use their phone ;-)

If it cannot be observed in anything other than total darkness, then I would say it's either not 'meant' to indicate anything

-or-

it's the 'Very Dark Outside' indicator (hence the initials VDO being on some of the instrumentation), just in case you were unsure...... :giggle:

Seriously though, pointing the dealers at stuff on Brisokda, from what I understand, is not usually met with a huge level of enthusiasm.

If it cannot be observed in anything other than total darkness, then I would say it's either not 'meant' to indicate anything

-or-

it's the 'Very Dark Outside' indicator (hence the initials VDO being on some of the instrumentation), just in case you were unsure...... :giggle:

Nice one RainbowFore. At this point in time....you may even be correct.

If linking a dealer to this thread is frowned upon, then please accept my apologies. However, my local dealer reguarly visits this site and recommended it to myself earlier this year.

Cheers

ITTone.

Edited by ittone

Frowned upon or not don't be put off by referring your dealer to this thread. The reason they sometimes don't like it is because there is often more knowledgeable people on here than their own mechanics! Any dealer who dismisses the collective knowledge of a dedicated forum is one worth avoiding.

Imagine if you hadn't posted and that the LED was in fact an electrical fault, the dealer has already said they don't know why it does it and would no doubt attempt to fob you off by claiming it is a characteristic of the car.

Being able to suggest that other cars do it would likely encourage the dealer into looking further at fixing a possible fault?

Helpful, not :thumbdown:

I also have a good grasp of what my car is and isn't supposed to do, but that doesn't necessarily mean I always know why it does or doesn't do it.

In case you failed to notice this is a Skoda Octavia forum, full of enthusiasts and people looking to learn more. Knowing why the LED is flashing and what is represents will mean if the question is raised again in the future one of us will know the answer and possibly prevent an unnecessary trip to the dealer by a no doubt very grateful member.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone find out what this was all about in the end?

Was there any conclusion to this. I and another member have noticed the same hazard warning switch flash on MY11 and MY12 Superbs.

cheers Simon

Not sure if this is related or not, the worst case is "not".......

I put LEDs into the front map lights the other day and removed the festoon light. I noticed that with the rear left in the Off position, the LEDS in the front glowed at a very very low level. With it in the Door position, they were off completely.

It could be something to do with those bits of the car that are always live (interior lights, hazard lights, sight lights, puddle lights, central locking, light/rain sensor etcetcetc).