How in God's name did this pass an MOT

I had the opposite on my bike. MOT tester said the brake pads were on the limit so gave me a note on the mot cert (old style). Like a good boy I went to replace them to find they had masses left on them the prat obviously didn't look properly! At least it didn't fail I suppose and I put decent pads on so work better anyway.

One time I got an old pug MOT'd then about a week later I noticed a rear bulb was out, turned out when the ca nhad been repaired after a prang, just before MOt they had not replace an electrical connection! How the hell did it get through the MOT?

WOW, they look worse than my rear discs!

Incidentally, when will I know they need replacing? Is there a reliable measure? All I know is that if it /has/ been wet the handbrake can sometimes stick on, requiring a bit of torque and some braveness to undo. But I'm fairly sure it was like that before it was last serviced/MOTd

Is it a car you've bought?

They could have used the Fax-a-MOT service from a less than reputable garage. :wonder:

Yes, its the Fabia we picked up last night with a new mot.

Much fuss was made about it being valeted, the seats clearly had been cos they were damp, yet there was two pine cones and assorted other carp under the passenger seat.

WOW, they look worse than my rear discs!

Incidentally, when will I know they need replacing? Is there a reliable measure? All I know is that if it /has/ been wet the handbrake can sometimes stick on, requiring a bit of torque and some braveness to undo. But I'm fairly sure it was like that before it was last serviced/MOTd

Tbh for the cost and simplicity of the job, if you're in any doubt, replace them.

Are they the right size? (256)

Iirc the diesel vRS has the same 288mm discs as my octy. When I replaced the rears on my octy I have to confess I just used pattern parts.

I'm 99% sure they are right. My SDI (similar kerb weight)

has the 256 discs.

Before the upgrade my vRS had 288's as you rightly say.

Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

Are they the right size? (256)

Iirc the diesel vRS has the same 288mm discs as my octy. When I replaced the rears on my octy I have to confess I just used pattern parts.

You are correct the 1.9TDI has 256mm front brakes. The rear discs are all the same size in the Fabia range.

The Octy discs brake probably won't fit the Furby vRS as I think the wheel PCDs are different. The Fabia has 100 mm PCD, I think the Octy Mk2 ones are larger.

Jesus they dont look too great

If I worked in sales and marketing that would be "an Iron oxide protective coating to improve the longevity of the disc".

Still they do say the most economical way to drive is as if your brakes have failed so you'll probably save a fortune on fuel emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Yes, its the Fabia we picked up last night with a new mot.

Much fuss was made about it being valeted, the seats clearly had been cos they were damp, yet there was two pine cones and assorted other carp under the passenger seat.

If it was me personally I'd run it though another MOT check at a decent garage just to make sure it was done correctly last time.

If you just bought it any other faults would show up and the garage you bought it off should fix it... or you report them for issuing dodgy MOTs. (they hate this)

Worth £40 IMO.

AFAIK it wont fail an MOT on corrosion on the disks, they have to be excessively worn (usually will have a noticeable lip) or below efficiency. My best mate was a qualified MOT tester and most things should actually be pass and advise. I would check with him but I'm pretty sure in this situation the corrosion would have been pass and advise if the braking power was up to scratch.

Carl.

I've put the reg into Euro car parts and they are listing 256mm and 239mm front disks as well as the 288mm which as we've already said are for the vRS. Guess I'll have to find out the engine code and look up in a Haynes manual?