Instrument Panel Light Dimming

Is it possible to vary the brightness on the dashboard when the headlights are on?

On my old Mk1 Fabi there was a dial by the light switch which varied the illumination level but no obvious equivalent on the Mk2 vRS. I have searched the forum and the manual but cannot find reference to this.

Many thanks and apologies in advance if I have missed something obvious.

Just picked up my shiny new greenline and driven back int he dark, dashboard lights did seem rather dazzling so would be interested in anyone who has found a switch for this too?

• Like 1

I cannot find a dial like the mk1 had but wondered if there was some way via maxidot which could dim it, can't find anything obvious and a word search of the pdf manual I have shows nothing for dimming other than the rear view mirror. Every car I have recently had had has this function, bit frustrating if the mk2 doesn't have it as I prefer the dash very dim. :(

This question was raised ages ago and the official answer from Skoda was, NO, it can't be done!

Not sure if someone found a way around it for the sake of a small dimmer and surprised at Skoda's huge oversight in allowing it to continue into the newer Fabia's but... :o

Also, surprised some smart a@@e has not come up with a solution to sell on eBay, or here!

I could suggest fitting lower wattage bulbs throughout the dash but this would be a huge (Ish) Undertaking for such a small gain! It doesn't really take too long to get used to! :S

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my new Greenline estate and driving around in the dark the last few days I'd completely agree that it's dangerously bright, especially when combined with the weaker-than-average headlights.

If anyone finds a work-around (other than replacing the dashboard lights) I'd be very interested to hear it!

How about using tinted window film...

The problem I see with doing this is it will tint everyting not just the lights, so actually seeing the figures may be difficult.

I'm not too bothered, seeing as I can't do much about it I really can't get worked up about it. Just frustrating that what is a standard feature in just about every other car has been removed, probably to save a few pennies per car.

I'm sure it is something I will get used to with time.

Not the only one. I did my first long distance night drive yesterday. Fours in the dark, never had a problem with the instrument lighting.

I did notice that the markings are illuminated rather than the whole dash which does make a difference from my perspective.

And by reading the various threads it looks like you have to disconnect pin17 on plug (gr/bl Grey/blue???) wire and isolate, and then connect pin 16 (gr/gn Grey/Green????) to pin17!!!

Code no for part with green lighting = 3B0 941 531 A (01C)????

Look at post 44

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&u=http://www.skodacommunity.de/skoda-forum/skoda-fabia-ii-forum/54566-armaturenbrett-beleuchtung-dimmen-beim-fabia-2-die-l%25C3%25B6sung/

Thats all the info I could translate, as it seems that a worker at the factory that makes them was giving advice!!!

I still can't belive that Skoda have ditched this feature from the MKI Fabia......(I use mine alot as I find the dash lights distracting on max!)........I know that when mine "goes" and I have to replace it theres alot of work I will have to do to get it to the spec as my MKI!!!!

Someone needs to be the guinne pig and try this!!!!!

1325237168[/url]' post='2626486']

Where in the maxidot is this? I cannot find it on mine.

It's in daytime saving, I found it by accident so when when I switch my headlights on they automatically dim emoticon-0148-yes.gif It was a fluke I found it, I have the elegance specked car with curved projectors so I don't know if that's why I have it but when I go from sidelights to dipped they dash dims even my satnav does the same everything dims even door window switches

The newest polo has interior dimming so have a look at that for ideas

Has it??????........can't find it in the catalogues!!!! B)

If you have a picture of the button/dial/knob could you post it up with a part no??

1325239674[/url]' post='2626522']

Has it??????........can't find it in the catalogues!!!! B)

If you have a picture of the button/dial/knob could you post it up with a part no??

It's in the maxi dot system, it's in one of the tickable selection units once headlights go on it automatically dims the rest of the cars on board lights, surely someone else has seen this or am I dreaming? I will have a look , no buttons or switches its in the maxi dot

It's in the maxi dot system, it's in one of the tickable selection units once headlights go on it automatically dims the rest of the cars on board lights, surely someone else has seen this or am I dreaming? I will have a look , no buttons or switches its in the maxi dot

I've heard about this...only two levels of diming.......and not in the user manual section on maxi-dot or anywhere else.....and not really adjustable "on the fly".....if you know what i mean!!

1325324619[/url]' post='2627596']

I've heard about this...only two levels of diming.......and not in the user manual section on maxi-dot or anywhere else.....and not really adjustable "on the fly".....if you know what i mean!!

It's not on wheel as with the other skodas you have to tick it in the maxi- dot menu