Instrument Panel Light Dimming

I don't know what is this but I can tell you that my intsrument cluster has it too but I it's at the speedometer, by the way my cluster is not a maxidot but an mfd. I asked but never got answer, the best was an assumption that it is an empty position for some kind of warning light at more spec-ed cars. See the picture below it's in the red circle. I know it is not very clear but blame my old phone for that. Picture is 18 months old.

22072011408_zpse4f7333a.jpg

IIRC, that is DSG clutch overheat warning light, but has no function for manuel transmissions.

Edited by irfant
  • Like 1

Quite a confusing thread this one. Can I ask another question... Just to Muddy the waters more :whew: Are the numbers and pointers only illuminated or is the whole instrument cluster back lit? I too prefer a low output on my MB the whole cluster is back lit white and I find that having it on max is way to Bright.

I don't know what is this but I can tell you that my intsrument cluster has it too but I it's at the speedometer, by the way my cluster is not a maxidot but an mfd. I asked but never got answer, the best was an assumption that it is an empty position for some kind of warning light at more spec-ed cars. See the picture below it's in the red circle. I know it is not very clear but blame my old phone for that. Picture is 18 months old.

It's a patch of light, not an empty position for some kind of warning light. Look other photo of your cluster from a different angle.

On the last photo of sk4gw you can see the same dot on the same dot, on the same place.

Is it really the dimming function that big of a deal? Worst case scenario switch off the MFD but still I don't find the display bright enought to annoy?

Not really. Forgotten I had started this thread until it got Rresurrected. Initially I had wanted to dim the dash illumination, as was possible on the mk1, but not really thought about it for ages now.

• 1 year later...

Lol, personally i find the lights no annoyance at all. but if you cannot get this option normally, id just use one of the many switch blanks on my fabia and fit a small neat little  potentiometer for the function, easy as pie :)

• 2 years later...

hi guys really late to this discussion i have had my irc edition fabia vrs estate 6 months upgrade from a mk1 vrs fabia... but have as of last night got full dimming dash on my dash

have been working nights and driving country roads in the dark head ache after head ache id had enough

so heres how you do it 

on  the switch  3B0 941 531 01C or very similar green back lit etc single fog on vrs / will work smillary for the twin fog two brought both switches off ebay second hand to try....

1. diconnect pin 17 (58d)

2. then remove pin thirteen (unhook clip and use two paper clips slid down front to relise the pin)

3. put thirteen (58L) in to 17 (58d)

4. this gives me maxidot instrument dimming of the inbuilt dimmer in headlight switch as well as satnav radio etc 

rhe only things that did not dim were the tcs button demist button window buttons and the gear selector !

5. to cure this disconnect pin 16(58) blank this and bare off 5mm of cable about 1 inch from the plug of the wire now in pin 17 and the wire removed from pin      16 twist together ether with some spare small guage wire or just twist the two cables together up to you put some tape over refit switch and .........

vola all done works a treat why skoda could not do this i don know really begs belife

hope this helps guys

p.s the drive to work tonight was ace no eye strain just man machine and hammer time :-)  

• 1 year later...