gutless scout

hi guys, recently got a 10 plate scout 140 tdi and compared to my partners 140 tdi golf sportwagen on a 09 plate the scout is gutless,dealer says its normal as its 4 wheel drive but i am not convinced. any 1 else come accross this diferance.

any 1 else come accross this diferance.

Nope, however I'd say the dealer was right; the added weight of the rear drive shaft, rear differential, haldex clutch, beefed up suspension, undertrays, plus all the other gubbins will in themselves affect the power/weight ratio.

According to the brochures:

Golf Estate SE, Sportline 2.0 TDI 140 PS: With manual gearbox gross vehicle weight = 2030kg

Octavia 2.0 TDI CR 140PS 4x4 DPF Scout: Total weight = 2155kg

125kg is equivalent to two 10 stone passengers sat behind you. Also factor in the different characteristics between the 2WD and 4x4 drivetrains and behold; a 'sluggish' 140bhp versus a 'sporty' 140bhp.

Edited by Rab-k

Don't forget that depending on the milage, it may not have fully loosened up, where your Golf should have been fully run in.

Ours has just gone through 7K and is starting to loosen up nicely, MPG (manually calculated brim to brim over known distances) is up and pickup seems sharper. However if it's like previous VAG TDI lumps, I don't expect it to be fully run in for several thousand miles yet!

But as others have said you have a vehicle thats significantly heavier & different to the Golf, that you are maybe trying to compare apples and pears! After having owned a stage 2 vRS previously I knew that the Scout was going to feel sluggish, and in deed when it's fully loaded with family, bikes and holiday kit it can feel pedestrian. However unlike previous diesels I've had, this one seems to respond to working the box, much more like a petrol!

According to the brochures:

Golf Estate SE, Sportline 2.0 TDI 140 PS: With manual gearbox gross vehicle weight = 2030kg

Octavia 2.0 TDI CR 140PS 4x4 DPF Scout: Total weight = 2155kg

These are max allowable weight, stock TDI is 1570kg + 600 allowed = 2170kg

0-62 - 10.2s

Max speed - 122mph (197kmh)

Golf 5 Estate 2.0 tdi

Kerb weight - 1495

0-62 - 9.7s

Max - 130mph -210kmh

So you have about 100kg more and half a second slower to 62.

Go get a remap from Shark or Revo and kick his @ss.

I went from a 140 PD Octavia Elegance to a 140 CR Scout and the combination of a more refined engine, more linear power delivery and extra weight does make it feel a bit slower, although the Haldex does get the Scout off the line very effectively in all conditions.

A 10 plate could be a PD or a CR as the transition will have been in that period. I believe there may have been a few CR's on a 10 plate

Ours is a PD & was gutless. The DPf is rstrictive & the car is mapped to slowly add fuel when you hit the loud pedal to be nice to the DPF, it also runs smaller injectors than the non DPf PD in other VAG cars, again to save the DPF.

Does the Golf have a DPF ??? as its not on all 140 bhp engines

To really loosen its potential you need to remove the DPf & get it remapped but this will be expensive as the steering rack has to be dropped & the transfer box taken off to get the DPF from the car. If doing this dont replace the DPF with a plain pipe as a visual inspection for the DPF starts for MOT's on jan 1st next year. It is I belive possible to knock the guts out of the DPF, if you can get a secondhand oner from a wreck even better as you always have it to add back on ( + another remap) if you ever need to

Edited by Stuart_J

Probably just illustrates how subjective a term 'gutless' is but my 2.0PD '07 Scout seems nippy enough to me & some folk have commented on that. Certainly no slouch when I need some punch - busy r/bouts/junctions/overtaking

If doing this dont replace the DPF with a plain pipe as a visual inspection for the DPF starts for MOT's on jan 1st next year.

There were rumours that this was going to happen, but it isn't now. There will continue to be no MOT requirement for diesels to have a cat or DPF fitted.

My 2008 PD140 Scout could never be described as gutless. Its worth noting I drive a PD170 vRS too.

Slower than the vRS? Yes. Gutless? No way!

My old man was a passenger in the Scout last month, eating a banana. Waiting to pull out from an unclassified road onto a fast long stretch of the A64 I spotted a gap, 5 seconds later relishing the PD punch in 1st, 2nd and 3rd I was nicely in with the flow of traffic, dad's banana up his nose :D

I've never driven the CR Scout but have driven a CR Octavia, I love the kick of the PD.

It is also worth noting that the PD140 in the Scout is only 8V, aren't the other PD140's 16V?

hi guys, thanks for the comments. checked at the weekend the golf is a 140 tdi pd and the scout is 140 cr. when i meen gutless my previous 1.9 tdi pd 105 bhp felt a lot faster of the mark. golf has done 45k and scout 14k

hi guys, thanks for the comments. checked at the weekend the golf is a 140 tdi pd and the scout is 140 cr. when i meen gutless my previous 1.9 tdi pd 105 bhp felt a lot faster of the mark. golf has done 45k and scout 14k

I think that's just the difference between a PD and CR engine - the PD "feels" faster because of that kick in the back it gives you as the torque is applied in one fat lump. The power delivery of the CR is a lot smoother, more linear, and as a consequence the car "feels" slower. I have a 1.9 TDI PD Octavia (105bhp) and a 2.0 CR Passat (110 bhp), and can relate exactly to what you "feel" although in reality both are equally quick over 0-60mph. But it's funny how the 1.9 TDI PD Octy still puts a massive smile on my face every time I drive it :D

I think that's just the difference between a PD and CR engine - the PD "feels" faster because of that kick in the back it gives you as the torque is applied in one fat lump. The power delivery of the CR is a lot smoother, more linear, and as a consequence the car "feels" slower. I have a 1.9 TDI PD Octavia (105bhp) and a 2.0 CR Passat (110 bhp), and can relate exactly to what you "feel" although in reality both are equally quick over 0-60mph. But it's funny how the 1.9 TDI PD Octy still puts a massive smile on my face every time I drive it :D

That is it. The CR is sooooo smooth. I was also a bit disappointed when I got my CR Yeti that there was no punch vs the many PDs I've been in.

I suggest you and the wife do a standing start from somewhere side by side... not to race of course, no we don't condone that. :giggle: Just to scientifically see who gets to the next set of lights first. I think you'll find it will be pretty even.

she doesnt no what i am fussing over, thinks both cars are to fast.she would follow a tractor allday rather than pull out and overtake. :giggle: spoke to jim at star performance in kirkcady fife.he can take the ecu out and wave his majic wand at it and boost power upto 180 bhp and 375 nm torque, me thinks this would make a nice improvement, i will keep you posted