The Skoda Delivery Lottery

Duffman

I ordered a Superb Estate 4x4 Elegance with a couple of options fitted early in September.

Originally I was given a delivery date of end of Jan 2012 :yes: . After some talk with (a very helpful) Skoda customer services rep I was told it was on a "scheduled build run" in week 17 2012 :( . Over two weeks this has now changed to build week 12 2012 :wonder: . I can't understand how this can change so much so quickly.

My question is this: Does anyone have any idea how Skoda organises its orders or is it a lottery? I am desperately looking forward to my new car, but I just can't see why they can't give a firm date once and for all.

I know exactly how you feel, I'm now looking at the end of Jan :-( The delivery has been moved several times now it getting to the point I'm considering a i40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build date is not confirmed until about 2 weeks before its built. Lots if factors affect this, supply issues with parts can delay it whereas cancelled orders cod move it forwards. The wait has been around 6 months for sometime, so getting a car ordered in September before march is going good.

I ordered a Superb 4x4 Elegance wagon a couple of weeks ago and have been told to expect delivery in March or April. Reading what's been said about UK delivery times, and considering it's also got to be shipped down here, sounds like the dealer is being wildly optimistic, or not totally honest. We'll see.

Build date is not confirmed until about 2 weeks before its built. Lots if factors affect this, supply issues with parts can delay it whereas cancelled orders cod move it forwards. The wait has been around 6 months for sometime, so getting a car ordered in September before march is going good.

Appreciate you can have delays through supply, cancellations and such. But at the end of the day this is a large corporation and dates that swing by over two months is very poor. My last new car was delivered within a week of the date set at time of ordering!

Just read through the couple of previous posts regarding build times.

The diesels do take longer than petrol models, although, build times have come forward slightly from end of last year/start of this.

We understand that it is frustrating and it is hard from our point of view to be phoning a customer every couple of weeks or so to basically say that nothing has progressed.

Mannyo is right in that the build is only confirmed around 2 weeks prior (status code 20) to its entry on to the production line.

We also have to work by quota. The way this works is every dealer is given build quotas for each model at the start of the year. E.g Factory can build 2 Superbs (depending on engine/gearbox) in, say, November, December they can build 1 but in January they can't build that particular dealership any, thus having a knock on effect in to February, once again if there is no quota then that model will get put back again.

We all understand that it is frustrating, the quicker we get the cars the quicker we get our commission.

Hope this helps a bit

Lee

We also have to work by quota. The way this works is every dealer is given build quotas for each model at the start of the year. E.g Factory can build 2 Superbs (depending on engine/gearbox) in, say, November, December they can build 1 but in January they can't build that particular dealership any, thus having a knock on effect in to February, once again if there is no quota then that model will get put back again.

Lee

I presume that this varies from dealer to dealer depending on size, previous year sales/forecasts etc?

Do the factory also provide quotas/schedules by country too? So they only build XXX UK cars each month, and XXX French models, XXX Australian models etc etc?

I know in my case, it wasn't until I complained to the lease company that a build date was actually allocated. Not sure whether it was fluke or whether they did actually complain to Skoda UK. Car was ordered through Citygate.

Will Skoda (UK or otherwise) be taking steps to reduce the leadtime on new cars throughout 2012?

The diesels do take longer than petrol models, although, build times have come forward slightly from end of last year/start of this.

We understand that it is frustrating and it is hard from our point of view to be phoning a customer every couple of weeks or so to basically say that nothing has progressed.

Mannyo is right in that the build is only confirmed around 2 weeks prior (status code 20) to its entry on to the production line.

We all understand that it is frustrating, the quicker we get the cars the quicker we get our commission.

Hope this helps a bit

Yes thanks. Kind of knew all about the underlying problems of ordering and you're right it's very frustrating. When are Skoda going to learn that they are losing customers through there schedules. They are spoiling their reputation for supplying what are excellent products in a poor manner. It would be much better if they came clean at the time of ordering and told you "you'd be waiting 6 months" instead of leading customers on - making them believe 12 weeks is practical! Come on Skoda be honest with your customers.

Lee

Hope this helps a bit

Yes thanks. Kind of knew all about the underlying problems of ordering and you're right it's very frustrating. When are Skoda going to learn that they are losing customers through there schedules. They are spoiling their reputation for supplying what are excellent products in a poor manner. It would be much better if they came clean at the time of ordering and told you "you'd be waiting 6 months" instead of leading customers on - making them believe 12 weeks is practical! Come on Skoda be honest with your customers.

Lee

Well I ordered first week Sept, Greenline Elegance with a few extras, originally it was due March(ish) but very soon delivery came into January.

Arrived at dealer last week, unfortunately as per my "Goodbye" thread, order was cancelled.

Coops,

Quota does vary between dealer to dealer and in a way will also be reflected on figures.

As for each country, to be honest, I do not know, however I would assume so. I couldn't see Skoda building the same amount of cars for a country that doesn't sell as many as another, but on this subject I am only guessing.

Regarding your car not having a build week then alll of a sudden it does, unless someone has "pulled some strings" I think you was just lucky!

Lee

I am desperately looking forward to my new car, but I just can't see why they can't give a firm date once and for all.

I hear you bro. The same happened to me as well. I've never experienced such a thing that the dealer isn't able to tell me the exact delivery date since he hasn't got a binding order confirmation from the factory (it took approx. one month to get it). In my opinion that's just not possible in today's automobile manufacturing business.

Since 1996 I've had SAABs (until they collapsed) and each SAAB I've ordered my dealer was able to tell the exact delivery date within the approximate of 2-3 days after he had ordered the car from the factory. So I'm really wondering is it just because of the volumes Skoda is manufacturing the cars or the Czech culture why they cannot confirm the delivery date ASAP?

Hi, I ordered a superb Combi 4x4 Elegance in Ireland at the beginning of October and was told by the dealer today that it was being built in Wk2, day 1. Should have it hopefully at end of Jan / beginning of Feb (fingers crossed!!)

Dealer phoned Saturday7th Jan to say that the car went into production the previous day!

Edited by Lorcan

Since 1996 I've had SAABs (until they collapsed) and each SAAB I've ordered my dealer was able to tell the exact delivery date within the approximate of 2-3 days after he had ordered the car from the factory. So I'm really wondering is it just because of the volumes Skoda is manufacturing the cars or the Czech culture why they cannot confirm the delivery date ASAP?

Saab told you exact delivery dates. Which was good. And then they delivered you a Saab. After which they went out of business. And you still had a Saab.

Heard from Skoda today that my 3.6 V6 4x4 DSG with lots of extras has a status code 20 (confirmed build date) of Week 1 2012. Car was ordered 1st October 2011 and if everything goes like clockwork could be driving it early Feb.

:thumbup:

Hi,

Ordered my Superb Estate Elegance 170 with a few extras on 3rd September with dealer and had heard nothing until this evening when dealer phoned to say the car is with them and when can I call in to sort the paperwork etc. Hopefully will get my hands on it soon, around 16 weeks in total.

Regards,

Kevin.

I ordered a Superb Estate 4x4 Elegance with a couple of options fitted early in September.

Originally I was given a delivery date of end of Jan 2012 :yes: . After some talk with (a very helpful) Skoda customer services rep I was told it was on a "scheduled build run" in week 17 2012 :( . Over two weeks this has now changed to build week 12 2012 :wonder: . I can't understand how this can change so much so quickly.

My question is this: Does anyone have any idea how Skoda organises its orders or is it a lottery? I am desperately looking forward to my new car, but I just can't see why they can't give a firm date once and for all.

Got this from a friend in the czech republic.

It may explain some of the delays.

“Škoda Auto, the Czech Republic’s biggest car producer and now enjoying booming export orders, has been hit for the second day running by problems with its internal company information system, which has, reportedly, caused chaos to its dispatch of new cars from factories and ordering of new parts. The problems with the SAP internal information system was reported on Tuesday and, according to the Czech News Agency (ÄŒTK), continued on Wednesday. Å koda Auto spokesman Rudof Dreitaler said the company counted on the software problems being overcome soonâ€

Fernrock

The problems with the SAP internal information system was reported on Tuesday and, according to the Czech News Agency (ČTK), continued on Wednesday. Škoda Auto spokesman Rudof Dreitaler said the company counted on the software problems being overcome soon

I just "love" SAP :)

Saab told you exact delivery dates. Which was good. And then they delivered you a Saab. After which they went out of business. And you still had a Saab.

Of course I still have an older Saab. They have/had the most loyal fan-base one could ever think of. Too bad GM never realized they could handle the situation like VAG company is doing by sharing almost each and every component among Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW. And no-one's complaining if his/her Audi has some similar components as Skoda has but within GM it was very strict if Opel/Vauxhall/Holden components were used for Saab. In that case it's hats off to VAG which has handled the component share very professional way. No wonder if they'd be the biggest automobile manufacturer in the future.

Edited by Sensonic