Activating Oil Temp in maxidot

newbie69

Since I bought the car, I have never ever managed to have the maxidot successfully present the Oil Temperature. When going through all available indications in maxidot (the ones that have been selected in setup), the Oil Temp just stays "--.--".

And yes, I have left it on during more than an hour's drive in order to warm up and show the data but still it has always stayed like that.

When I was at the dealers for the 1st scheduled oil change I mentioned it to the technician but he said you have to book another appointment specifically aimed to connect it to the computer and see what is going on there as we can't do anything just by playing with the maxidot controls... (pfff....)

I had read on the octavia forum I think, that If the car is set at fixed servicing then the oil temp does not show up even if selected, is this the same for the fabia too? On the other hand I have seen almost everybody in this forum talking about oil temp so there must be a way to activate it even If the car is at fixed servicing. Could somebody give a tip on how to do this or where is it found as I could mention it to the dealer and get over with this in a few minutes, cos I don't think they know how to do it themselves...

the vrs deffo shows the temp

it was set up from new, i never asked so cant say what the code is but at least i can vouch for it working

I know it does, it seems to be sleeping just in mine (and a few others in the past).

I had exactly the same problem on mine, it never read the oil temp even though it went to the garage twice to have it checked. Finally Tech1e told me how to sort it and in turn I told the garage.

You need to take it off fixed servicing, my garage made me sign a waver saying I'd still get the car serviced every 10,000 miles/1 year as it won't warn me it needs a service :thumbup:

I had exactly the same problem on mine, it never read the oil temp even though it went to the garage twice to have it checked. Finally Tech1e told me how to sort it and in turn I told the garage.

You need to take it off fixed servicing, my garage made me sign a waver saying I'd still get the car serviced every 10,000 miles/1 year as it won't warn me it needs a service :thumbup:

So that why my old Octy vRS never showed it!:)

I alwast thought it was just broke.

Does that mean that ALL other vRSs who have Oil Temp showing up correctly, are ALL in variable servicing??? I thought I could combine the two (Fixed servicing + Oil Temp) cos I'd like being reminded just in case I forget... I am surprised as most people say they had it ON from factory, and I would think that the car comes set in FIXED servicing from the factory so sounds quite strange....

If switching to variable servicing is the only way to go, are there any oil issues? by that I mean that skoda suggests different oil regarding to what type of servicing the car is set to. Now, I may set it electronically to Variable in order for the oil temp to show up but I will be following the recommendations by the book (fixed servicing schedule), so can that confuse/affect say the ECU? Guess not, probably a stupid question but u never know with all the electronics today...

Edited by newbie69

Hey guys I know yours do show it! That's why I decided to post as it should be like this in mine too but it isn't. However the "fixed/variable servicing" solution still needs to be confirmed. I assume all cars of yours that show up Oil Temp, are set to Variable servicing?

I assume all cars of yours that show up Oil Temp, are set to Variable servicing?

according to the service book its fixed but until nearer the time how would anyone know? im waiting for either next sep,10k or the service spanner to show (if its anything like the mk1)

i'd ask my dealer but not sure how clued up they are so might be pointless but what i will say is ive never heard of the vrs being variable, everything you read states the opposite

Mine decieded it needed serviced at 9000 miles and showed it to the garage and they said ok better service it then.

Now I'm a tad confussed but I'm going to stick with the ECU untill it reaches the distance listed in the book.

Does seem a tad odd that they come factory standard on variable servicing then are changed to fixed though.

All vRS's should be on fixed servicing...my owner manual sticker is on fixed. :wonder: Maxi dot displays oil temps.

Well that just makes the theory of "showing oil temp only if in Variable servicing" collapse. If you are 100% positive on this, that means there must be another way of activating it... I posted this up instead of/prior to a visit at the dealers, as I am damn sure they will probably be clueless on how to enable it and I will lose my time once more. So If there is some solid knowledge on this I could well point it out to the dealer/technician and get over with it in no time.

I'm still waiting for Tech1ie's response on this one If he's able to fix it before as VRS-powered said earlier...

Edited by newbie69

I have a picture on my laptop at home that should show you that you need to change the TOG setting, will upload when I can

I assume this TOG setting (What is this?) is something which needs VAG cable/VAGCOM in order to be changed? I have none of this equipment so I guess I will have to point this out to the dealer, right?

All vRS's should be on fixed servicing...my owner manual sticker is on fixed. :wonder: Maxi dot displays oil temps.

They all come from the factory with the fixed servicing sticker. However, they can be re-programmed by the dealer to variable. Mine is on the variable servicing plan.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Been at the dealers yesterday, asked them to activate the Oil Temperature indication. (Mind you: It was not something to do with the Maxidot's settings/reset etc. I had been through all that before. Oil Temp just kept showing "--.-" even after hours of driving.

Came back a few hours later, was told the problem was solved and it was indeed. Asked them If they did change the servicing from FIXED to VARIABLE, they said: "No we didn't touch that. There is a separate sensor which watches over the quality of the oil and that this separate setting was de-activated from factory. We only turned that ON but you're still in FIXED servicing".

So, I can now happily have a look at my Oil Temp whenever I want to, If others encounter the same problem it should be a quick fix from the dealer (or even through this VCDS connection which I am not familiar at all with).

1327598138[/url]' post='2661687']

Just for info, the TSi/DSG Elegance shows oil temp too. Suprised me quite how long it takes to get to 90*C (about 10 miles).

Quick question folks on maxi dot , my dealer has said I have not got maxi, however it was suppose to be fitted with Amundsen, can anyone give me the answer? Cos I'm lost now what is the difference

http://www.google.co...iw=1024&bih=672

This is what I've got ?

youve got all that? in all those colours too? oh what a lucky boy you are :giggle:

seriously though, it looks different to my maxidot

edit out the German and mines like this 349268036.jpg

note the extra line above the mileage

Edited by the mad monk