arm rest

n2eav

Damage the clutches?

I know I am not familiar with your cars system but typically, you SHOULD pull the handbrake up PRIOR to releasing the gears... (But you can have your foot on the footbrake, in to N and then pull up the handbrake with a DSG, agree you can't do this with a manual.)This is a standard safety issue as releasing the gears first leaves you in a situation where the car can roll off unsecured! Brake to a halt, handbrake on, gears in neutral... This is standard teaching practice for ANY driving instructor! B) You may possibly LEAVE an auto in gear when stopped for a short time, but still, the handbrake should be applied... even more so if you could move off accidentally!

To say ALL automatic drivers use the footbrake is not only misleading, it is wrong!

Stopping with the foofbrake, you can dazzle the driver behind you but also, and this is VERY important, if you are at the beginning of a queue and a drivir behind you fails to stop, shunting you forward, it is very easy to slip off the footbrake and strike a pedestrian or a vehicle crossing your path.

I know I am not familiar with your cars system but typically, you SHOULD pull the handbrake up PRIOR to releasing the gears... (But you can have your foot on the footbrake, in to N and then pull up the handbrake with a DSG, agree you can't do this with a manual.)

You may possibly LEAVE an auto in gear when stopped for a short time, but still, the handbrake should be applied...

(Not with a DSG, unless you keep your foot on the footbrake too, which is pointless; if you hold a DSG in gear with handbrake on you will damage the clutches; see owners manual.)

To say ALL automatic drivers use the footbrake is not only misleading, it is wrong! (You're absolutely right, I should have said MOST; however I have never been aware of an auto driver applying the handbrake in stop start conditions and many manual drivers don't come to that.)

and this is VERY important, if you are at the beginning of a queue and a drivir behind you fails to stop, shunting you forward, it is very easy to slip off the footbrake and strike a pedestrian or a vehicle crossing your path. (Do you have first hand knowledge of this then, or are you imagining a hypothetical scenario.)

I know I am not familiar with your cars system... (May I respectfully suggest you get familiar before posting incorrect information.)

Regards

Tony :beer:

p.s. No American autos have a handbrake within easy reach to my knowledge; some have a pedal high up under the dash, which could be deemed a handbrake.

• 2 years later...

It can be retro-fitted however I believe that the dealer will charge you a pretty penny to fit it as its apparently a bit of a pain to do, search in this section for armrest and you'll bring up the previous posts.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296810-retro-fitting-centre-armrest/?hl=%2Barmrest#entry3547141

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Centre_Arm_Rest_%28Fabia_08%3E14%29_DAO700001

Edited by Prykey

I love my armrest, i have no issue at all with changing gears or the handbrake, but then again i am '' ittle '' and move my seat close to the wheel which i think means i have no issue, it it were further back then i guess it could be an issue, i just wish it had another on the other side of the seat for ultimate comfort.

It can be retro-fitted however I believe that the dealer will charge you a pretty penny to fit it as its apparently a bit of a pain to do, search in this section for armrest and you'll bring up the previous posts.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296810-retro-fitting-centre-armrest/?hl=%2Barmrest#entry3547141

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Centre_Arm_Rest_%28Fabia_08%3E14%29_DAO700001

Wasn't a pain at all however, I only put 3 of the 4 bolts in as and possibly why people said it was a pain you'd need magic to get the 4th one in. Even through only 3 in I haven't had any problems. Best upgrade in my opinion since it made the inside much more appealing and soooooo much more comfort on long drives.