Talk me out off buying a MK1 VRS

cysne

Hey all,

I had a Fabia mk2 greenline a few months ago, but sold it due to massive reduction in miles. Yay, so now I'm looking at a VRS MK1, doing about 10,000 miles a year. I've always wanted one, but I need to convince my self I shouldn't get one, as my 05 plate punto is just fine for the job.

I have between 4 and 5k to spend on one.

So, please talk me out off it... Otherwise I'll get told off, 7 cars in 3 years is apparently naughty. :giggle::rofl:

Crap seats! Compared to the mk1 Octavia vRS(with R32 seats)

Crap Brakes! compared to my mk1 Octavia vRS (with LCR Brembos)

Massive body role!

Cardiff-20111221-00309.jpg

My Modified mk1 Octavia vRS with all Handling Mods bar Castor Bushes.(TT hubs, Wishbones, S3 Rack, R32 FARB, 28mm RARB, Coilovers, LSD + more) and My Std Fabia vRS.

There is no real reason tho why I wouldnt sugges getting one. LOVE MINE!

Sorry mate, not really doing a good job of putting you off one.

Guest BigJase88

Leaky doors

Crap flywheel and weak clutch

Crap console bushes

Piddy rubbish turbos

Poor intercooler joins

Coolant loss problems

Chocolate cams

Egr's getting gunked up

Horrible seats

Any good?

Fabia's have a comedy ride height, pitch/roll too much

I didn't think the body roll was too bad, certainly compared with the older Favorit (even when it had new/nearly new shocks all round - oh BTW Porsche designed the suspension geometry on the Favorit). The Fabia isn't brilliant on the corners though, and pushed hard is easy to send sideways on roundabouts with crap tyres in the rain. Despite the body roll the Favorit was a much nicer car to push hard around corners. I guess most of it is down to the difference in weight of the shells though, the Fabia is a heavy car.

Okay, they are massively overpriced used, they are becoming the new weapon of choice for people who previously would have driven Saxo's so they are magnets for police officers looking for defects, the dealers are being ruined by VAG UK and most telling of all, if you're only doing 10,000 miles per year you'd be far better off with a petrol car as the difference in fuel consumption isn't big enough to cover the additional running costs.

But I still wouldn't part with mine!

Merry Christmas!

I think your best option is to drive one mate.

Some people will know on here I came very very close to getting rid of mine. In the end, I couldnt do it.

For me this has to be one of the best packages a car has ever been. The overall drive of the thing is second to know, with great steering, lovely gearbox and although body roll is present, the car is very easy to drive slow and fast. Economy is incredible I do around 10miles to work and thats alot of stop start and Im still getting more mpg than my old 1.4TDi sport. I regulary get over 50mpg all day long. Not to mention cheap tax and cheap insurance.

The KKK turbos arnt indeed the best units available so I would recommend setting aside a few £££ just in case it did let go. But ignore the comments in regards to clutchs and flywheels, there certainly not as weak as people make out they are. Drive the car sympathetically even with a remap and you should be fine. The life of these components is no great deal shorter than any other car, so as you would with any car again set a few £££ a side for that future job.

Leaky doors are very common but an easy fix. Most concerns people have for there cars they usually modify there way out of them. So for me the brakes although adequte I wanted a change, and the body roll can easily be corrected with a good suspension set up and polybushes and a few braces and bars.

If you want to be put off buying one of these cars, simply read through peoples horror stories of fire and woe. But rember people are more easily going to share a negative experince than a postive. Plus any car forum you go on, I assure you plowing through thread after thread of these stories will put you off any car in time.

For what its worth not because am biased, I think you will love it, and like me when push comes to shove and your in a situation when you can get rid of it, again like me you wont.

O yer and they go like s*** off a shovel :p

• Like 1

Buy one fella, you think 7 cars in 3 years is bad, nah, try 5 cars, 4 vans and a motorbike, that's bad :giggle: The only things stopping me getting another one is negative equity and a big hit in depreciation, I really wish I had never got rid of mine, BIG mistake :'( I regret it every day. :love:

The little problems that they do have are so easy to rectify, plus you have the fantastic back up of this site to help. I am counting the days until I get another, (if I could only find someone daft enough to do a straight swop for my Astra.... big sigh!)

Get it, they are great little cars. :thumbup: