Fabia VRS HID converstion

You missed the point of my post, I meant cars came factory fitted with xenons/HIDs and no washers ie 2001 (old shape) Nissan primeras, some had washers, others didn't, I owned one.

It's a bit late for updates to come out now though isn't it! It goes live tomorrow and I can confirm that the November issue is the current one.

If the Nissan did and there were some others they will be listed as exceptions as they will have been CE and BS compliant at the time.

It is late yes, but that's the British Government for you. Everything is snails pace and bureaucracy.

The November issue may be the current one listed on the web but unless you work for VOSA, the Government or Police I doubt you'll be in a position to confirm what the current issue and date are as these could well be different. There could also be a new version in the review/release cycle internally that isn't yet published.

Carl.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Nissan did and there were some others they will be listed as exceptions as they will have been CE and BS compliant at the time.

It is late yes, but that's the British Government for you. Everything is snails pace and bureaucracy.

The November issue may be the current one listed on the web but unless you work for VOSA, the Government or Police I doubt you'll be in a position to confirm what the current issue and date are as these could well be different. There could also be a new version in the review/release cycle internally that isn't yet published.

Carl.

Well there has been no exceptions that I am aware of, I do work for one of those three agencies but we aren't issued with MOT regs, I just checked with the local garage and they said they have that November one.

I Think this discussion is getting a bit out of hand.

Tbh i would really like HID lights for the VRS for better looks but as mentioned i don't want them to fail an MOT. Is there a kit you can buy that are self levelling? i can't quite understand why headlight washers is a requirment, what difference will that make if your car is already clean?

I've been looking on google and can't find projector lights :/ Guess tbh prob should just leave the car alone

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/221536-fabia-xenon-headlights-official-group-buy/page__pid__2625829__st__100#entry2625829

Projector lights there. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The projector itself can't really break, it's just a lens, like a magnifying glass. Of course, the head light itself is still subject to breaking in the same way as a normal one would be (stone chips, etc), but the projector itself is fine.

No, no self levelling kits that I've ever seen. And I agree with you on the head light washers - I've got them on my Golf, Polo and RX-8, and they do nothing except make the dirt wet. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Personally, I'd just get some better bulbs, like these, and leave it. emoticon-0148-yes.gifhttp://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-h7-car-headlight-bulbs

Thanks, think i was getting mislead, i thought projectors had bulbs built in but they take HID bulbs to work? never thought changing lights could be this much hassle to get them legal for MOT...

I had headlight washer on my old Octavia and never saw a single benefit

Correct. It's just an empty lens, which then needs a light source to work, be it halogen or HID.

No, they're pointless. The only thing they're good for is spraying people as they get out, and the fact that you get a bigger washer bottle with them.

• 2 years later...

VOSA don't have an obligation to keep the public informed, no. HOWEVER, they are doing so off their own back by making the MOT Inspection Manual a public document and stating on the very first page that it can be used by vehicle owners to make sure their vehicles comply. And if they have chosen to do that then what they release does have to be accurate. Their lack of obligation would only cover them if they didn't want to release anything at all, saying "they're not obliged" doesn't then mean they can release misleading information, you're missing the point a bit emoticon-0100-smile.gif

As has been said, if retrofit kits have to meet the same standards as factory-fit, and not all factory-fit cars had levelling/washers then it stands to reason that retrofits don't require them either. Backed up by the testers' comments (that the kits have to be done to the same standard), and also the manual emoticon-0100-smile.gif

WHIlst they don't have an obligation to keep the public informed, my friend, still being a traffic cop (I'm retired) contacted VOSA for a copy of the latest regulations, and received them almost straight away.

There is of course, the option to apply under the FOI Act......