Pela oil changing on a slope

gac

I'm thinking about buying a Pela pump this year, with a view to doing some of the services on my car myself (partly to save cash, partly because I'm perfectly capable of doing it but I'm just too lazy to do it the old fashioned way because I don't like jacking my car on my driveway, it slopes).

However, with my driveway being on a slight slope, I tend to reverse onto it which leaves the car a few degrees nose-down. With the dipstick tube being at the front of the engine I'm assuming that it exits at the front of the sump, so using a Pela on a nose-down vRS wouldn't be too much of a problem? I could do it on the road which is flatter but my road gets pretty busy with people parking and is a bus route, last thing I want is to be in the way with an engine that has no oil in it and can't be moved...

I've got a Pela and its best to have the car on flat road or the nose pointing up.

I recently did an oil change and the car was on a slight downward slope (nose down) and I had to jack it up to get last bits of oil out! :doh:

I find the Pela is brilliant at getting all the oil out of the oil filter housing too.

Ah right, fair enough, exact opposite of what I thought then! Although I could just drive it on the other way, so long as I know about it. As I say, the road is flat but not very convenient due to how close to the corner I live and the buses etc. And then there's also camber to deal with. Another thing I did just think of though is that it's going to be difficult to judge how much oil I've put in if it's on a slope...I won't know if I've got all the oil out thus won't know how much to put in, won't be able to measure it accurately on the dipstick, etc. So maybe this needs a rethink and I'll need to borrow someone's flat driveway or garage anyway. You've answered my question though, so thanks! :)

The Pela has markings on the side in 1 litre intervals. I get the majority of the oil out then pour it into a empty 5 litre oil container (from previous oil change). I then scavenge the rest of the oil out from the sump and oil filter housing. So by filling up the old oil container I know I've pretty much drained as much of the old oil out as possible! I'm sure the old filter has a fair bit soaked into it too.

I then had put in a min of 4 litres of fresh oil (as I know I have got at least 4 litres out), run engine and then double check oil level on a flat surface.

Ah right, so you just go for replacing the same amount you know you've taken out (as measured by the pump), and then double checking afterwards? Sounds sensible, I don't always remember to check my oil levels as much as I should but as long as I put the same amount in that it's been running fine with and then double-check it afterwards there's not much that can go wrong :)

Have been using an ancient Screwfix extractor. Works well, but a couple of comments

Check (as said) that you have got the right amount out because easy to push the suction pipe to a level higher than the sump bottom (and hence leave some oil in the sump).

Use the pump to empty the recesses in the filter housing.

Missed these replies, the electric one looks good but then it doesn't look like it comes with a suitable container for handling hot oil so I'd have to try and find something safe to get the oil into and some way of attaching it safely so it won't leak (since I believe with an extractor it's best to get the oil as hot as you can so it thins out and extracts easier). Part of the appeal of the Pela is that it's designed as a sealed unit so I can start it extracting the hot oil, undo my oil filter and then leave it while I go and get the other bits together. It might take a little while to extract it, but it only takes a few seconds of my time to start it going rather than having to stand guard over a pump to make sure a pipe doesn't slip and I'm pumping hot oil over the driveway...

Missed these replies, the electric one looks good but then it doesn't look like it comes with a suitable container for handling hot oil so I'd have to try and find something safe to get the oil into and some way of attaching it safely so it won't leak (since I believe with an extractor it's best to get the oil as hot as you can so it thins out and extracts easier). Part of the appeal of the Pela is that it's designed as a sealed unit so I can start it extracting the hot oil, undo my oil filter and then leave it while I go and get the other bits together. It might take a little while to extract it, but it only takes a few seconds of my time to start it going rather than having to stand guard over a pump to make sure a pipe doesn't slip and I'm pumping hot oil over the driveway...

Good points there. Whats 15 to 20 pumps to get it going anyway!

Builds up the muscles too! lol

Edited by trebormint

Thats the reason I like the Pela pump, its self contained with very little that can go wrong. Only takes 10 minutes(or less) to empty the sump. While its doing that I change the filter.

Never split a drop on my driveway using it, very pleased I invested in one.

Looking at getting a Pela after reading the comments on this site plus a few others.

Already got my service kit at the ready, just can't be bothered jacking up the car and removing the under-tray.

So the general consensus is to have the car slightly nose up if possible, in order to ensure that all the all can be retrieved by the pump?

B)

That's the one I've ordered, Fabia holds 4.5 litres max so 6 is plenty of capacity without being full. I'd read (after ordering) that the "stand-up" 6.5L model might be easier to use one-handed than the "ball" type for use while you pump the handle and suck up oil from the filter housing, but it's double the price and I don't need the extra half litre capacity so I'll just see how I get on with the ball one.

Yes - iirc got mine from here: http://www.seapost.co.uk/pela-600-oil-extractor-729-p.asp

There was a free delivery or 10% voucher floating about..

I've heard some iffy stories about these but then I assume many garages use these for a quick turnaround service, plus, if its safe to use it on a £££k yaught/powerboat I'm not too worried about using it on the car.

That's the one I've ordered, Fabia holds 4.5 litres max so 6 is plenty of capacity without being full. I'd read (after ordering) that the "stand-up" 6.5L model might be easier to use one-handed than the "ball" type for use while you pump the handle and suck up oil from the filter housing, but it's double the price and I don't need the extra half litre capacity so I'll just see how I get on with the ball one.

Its not difficult to use whilst getting the oil out of the filter housing. I push the tube right down to the bottom, then give the Pela a good pump (!) and let it suck up (!) the oil. I then move it around the filter housing and still has enough suck (!) to pick up the rest of oil (sort of using it like a vacuum cleaner!)

Yes - iirc got mine from here: http://www.seapost.co.uk/pela-600-oil-extractor-729-p.aspThere was a free delivery or 10% voucher floating about..I've heard some iffy stories about these but then I assume many garages use these for a quick turnaround service, plus, if its safe to use it on a £££k yaught/powerboat I'm not too worried about using it on the car.

IMO there's just as many iffy stories of "if you don't do the sump plug 200% correctly then you'll get oil leaks and possibly need your sump helicoiled or replaced". Things can go wrong with both approaches but I believe things are less likely to go wrong with an extractor and from the sound of it the results (when used properly) are just as good or better if you consider that you can get the last dregs out of the oil filter housing which you can't normally. Plus the extractor is cleaner, and generally much more pleasant than laying on my back underneath a sump in the freezing cold and possibly wet, so it's win-win for me so far :)

Its not difficult to use whilst getting the oil out of the filter housing. I push the tube right down to the bottom, then give the Pela a good pump (!) and let it suck up (!) the oil. I then move it around the filter housing and still has enough suck (!) to pick up the rest of oil (sort of using it like a vacuum cleaner!)

I'll bear that in mind. Should arrive at work next week so I'm planning on getting some oil etc from TPS one night and probably doing the service next weekend when I'm free and probably won't need to use the car. I'm sure it'll all go fairly smoothly and I don't foresee any problems....famous last words, I know ;)

I bought mine because the sump plug hole threaded on my previous car and had to replace the sump, which wasn't a nice job to do.

So to prevent that ever happening to me again, its Pela job now.

I'm thinking about buying a Pela pump this year, with a view to doing some of the services on my car myself (partly to save cash, partly because I'm perfectly capable of doing it but I'm just too lazy to do it the old fashioned way because I don't like jacking my car on my driveway, it slopes).

However, with my driveway being on a slight slope, I tend to reverse onto it which leaves the car a few degrees nose-down. With the dipstick tube being at the front of the engine I'm assuming that it exits at the front of the sump, so using a Pela on a nose-down vRS wouldn't be too much of a problem? I could do it on the road which is flatter but my road gets pretty busy with people parking and is a bus route, last thing I want is to be in the way with an engine that has no oil in it and can't be moved...

you must have the car level...

TBH once you realise how quick and simple it is to use a pela, you will be able to change the oil in 5-10mins start to finish. So you'll be able to park it at side of the road and do it, not on the driveway slope..