vRS Steering lock stuck on. Key = dead

Get out of work and boom. My steering lock is locked on.

I revered the car into my bay and got out, I didn't straighten the wheel but I never usually do tbh.

Put the key in and it wont turn love for money. The key housing snapped off which im gutted about but The actual key was fine though. Not even with a set of pliers holding the key and turning would unlock it.

Managed to snag a lift home but im gutted.

If I call skoda breakdown do you think they'll be able to sort it under warranty? I know if you blow a tyre they'll come out and you have to pay as thats not a mechanical break down but I'd say this is. The locks stuck on!!!

Edited by apmaman

Cheers, I was hoping you'd be one to reply.

What do you reckon will happen? I'd guess it would get towed off but with it in Park I cant change it to Neutral to allow it to get towed away. The ignition needs to be on for that

Isn't that just the extra steering lock -don't know what it's called -it comes on if you try to turn the wheel without the key in easily done if you catch it getting in or out of the car.

To release it: insert the key, push the steering wheel towards the dash while turning the key and the wheel gently and you'll feel it release -don't use excessive force.

see i tried that but the steering wheel wont budge at all to turn it.

ill go down tomorrow with my spare key before i phone just encase and i hope thats all it is.

not looking forward to buying a new key though!

I had this happen and phoned Skoda UK. Was very embarrassed to be told what greenstripe has said. Key in, steering wheel to the left or right as you're turning the key. It releases :dull:

Seriously?

Cars has had steering locks since before I was born and this is new to you?

Blizzare :)

tried turning the wheel and the key at the same time and it unlocked it. felt like a bit of a tit but its alive again.

the steering lock on this is really strong though. my old fabia could have the steering lock on and a normal turn of the key would pop it off.

hopefully getting a new key tomorrow. wonder if i can snag it under warrenty.

tried turning the wheel and the key at the same time and it unlocked it. felt like a bit of a tit but its alive again.

the steering lock on this is really strong though. my old fabia could have the steering lock on and a normal turn of the key would pop it off.

I find the steering lock on the new Fabia quite stiff as well and sometimes forget about it when trying to start up.

Might as well ask the dealer, worst case they say no.

oh my giddy aunt :-0

Edited by barrheadred

Glad you managed to get your car sorted with only the loss of the key -using too much force on some cars can destroy the ignition barrel (by design so that you can't ram in a screwdriver and force it round). Expensive!

In all fairness to OP not all car steering locks function in this way.

• 9 years later...