Electric window retrofit

Hi,

I have purchased a spankingly good condition VRS with very low mileage. The car itself is mint and has factory xenons and front and rear pdc. The only thing it didn't frustratingly have is rear electric windows, jumbo box. I can live without them all, but should I wish to retrofit windows, is this possible? I wondered if anyone here had done so and coud comment on cost, ease of doing so. Cheers

• 9 months later...

Apart from the obvious hardware bits you need:

electric window motors

rear door panels (unless you want to cut and bung the current ones :no: )

rear window switches, plus new drivers door switch panel, looms etc

It is probably a fairly painless process? just not a cheap one.

I would imagine the controller is the same, but it will need coding for the rear windows, if not then a new controller as well.

If I could get hold of a pair of rear doors from a breaker with motors, regulators, switches etc intact would that make it a more viable project?

Is it likely, apart from 4 way switches, that any additional hardware/wiring would need installing in the front?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Did anyone ever finish this looking to do it to my 1.9tdi as I’m making it into a vrs replica as I’m a young driver and can not afford a vrs 

On 28/06/2019 at 21:15, octaviaprime said:

I am undertaking this little project myself I have everything from from my donor car do the handle drives fit the motors

Did you finish this bud I’m really interested in what you had to do 

I did manage to do this. You require the drivers door loom and the control module and switch. You just straight swap that over. You may need to code it but mine worked straight away. The rear is a little more difficult as I swapped over the mechanism and the control unit as I think they are extended for the winder handles. The loom needs a power supply so you need to tap into your fuse box so plug in your connector and run the cables to correct pin for the door connector. The earth points are in the b pillar buy the belt anchor point. You need the canbus high and low for the controller so tap into your canbus cables but make sure you get them the correct way round for the pins in the door connector. My donor car was a hatchback but my car was an estate so the door car tops had to be swapped so I didn't have a hole but if you get the correct door cards you can skip this step. It was an Easy weekend job make sure you have the wiring connectors makes it alot easier to swap unless you want to make up a small loom. But I had the donor car so just pulled everything out and cut and made fit what I needed