Vibrations in 2nd gear, DSG 7

kzil

On a second read I must tell you this,

My Passat which was a derv 6 speed wet clutch unit was never smooth smooth in 1-3, it was only once it was in 3rd and above the changes became seamless and others I know who have them say the same,

I also had a petrol Golf DSG on loan at one time with a 7 speed dry clutch unit, this used to feel more snatchy than my 6 speed tbh, almost in a milk float sort of way, a milf float was a small open sided electric vehicle the milkmen used to use to deliver milk btw,

So I'm not sure if you have a fault or it's over expectation brought on by boasted media of the DSG.

• 1 month later...

My 2010 Octavia 1.4 TSI had the 2nd gear shudder a few months ago. It was particularly pronounced pulling away up hill. Took it my local dealer noting that internationally recognised problems with DSG 7.  They refused to accept there was a problem recognised in the UK and reset the software (which they made me pay for). 

Yesterday I went in because the control knob for the electric windows had fallen off. They checked for outstanding recalls and found one for the DSG. Yes, that same DSG! I mentioned that I had been right and had wasted my money previous. I just got silence in response. A shame Liverpool is so far away from me!

I was back in Alex Lawrie yesterday having a service done.  I mentioned the issues you were having with your dealer regarding the DSG and how it contrasted with mine, and the response I got was enlightening. The service manager said "We take the view that you drive the car every day and if you tell us there is a problem, there usually is". That sort of attitude gets repeat business.

• 4 months later...

As stated earlier on this thread

My Ibiza DSG 7 has developed the symptoms of vibrating while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at around 40,000 KM and after a ton of visits to the dealer's workshop they finally expereienced it themselves and changed the whole gearbox this time (had a previous different problem that they changed the mechatronic for me) and now at 57,000 the same problem is back vibrating while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear,

does the flywheel got changed when changing the whole gearbox?

I started to hate this technology :yawn:                    

• 3 months later...

Just had the new design of clutch pack fitted following continued shudder going from 1st to 2nd.

I asked my dealer to investigate "Vibrations of the K2 clutch TPI number 2028367" and described the symptoms (e.g. more likely to happen when fully loaded, happens at any temperature). The computer diagnostics coudl not find anything but a few technicians jumped in the car and managed to replicate it. 

The official Skoda Extended Warranty (provided by CCP) refused to pay out because its a known design fault. After calls from my dealer, the 'Factory' paid for the parts and Skoda Customer Services paid for the labour. 

Apparently the design fault applies to car up to 31/05/2011. Presumably the new design was fitted after this.

I had the same on my 1.2tsi Yeti they changed the clutch pack, then the dual mass, eventually the dsg box, even after all this is still was not as good as the 6 speed for smoothness, put up with it for another couple of months then bought the white barge.  

• 1 year later...

Just had the new design of clutch pack fitted following continued shudder going from 1st to 2nd.

I asked my dealer to investigate "Vibrations of the K2 clutch TPI number 2028367" and described the symptoms (e.g. more likely to happen when fully loaded, happens at any temperature). The computer diagnostics coudl not find anything but a few technicians jumped in the car and managed to replicate it. 

The official Skoda Extended Warranty (provided by CCP) refused to pay out because its a known design fault. After calls from my dealer, the 'Factory' paid for the parts and Skoda Customer Services paid for the labour. 

Apparently the design fault applies to car up to 31/05/2011. Presumably the new design was fitted after this.

Was your car under warranty?

Did you have a full manufacturer service history?

Did you pay for the technicians to test the car?

Thank you

Edited by yus786

Thank you

1. Yes. It was under an extended warranty purchased from the dealer after the 1 year used car warranty (car was purchased from a skoda dealer) ran out. However the warranty did not pay out

2.Yes

3. No. The When the warranty did not pay I asked the dealer to contact Skoda Customer services. In the end the 'factory' paid for the parts and Skoda UK customer services paid for the labour. This took a little negotiation however!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thank you

I should add that this solved the issue. We have had no reoccurrence of the problem.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

yus786, 

If you are having issues with your DQ200 DSG, 

Has it had the Service Campaign Recall Action done to change the Synthetic Oil for Mineral & the Software Update for the DSG.

Done Free.

(Started in the UK May 2014, still running.)

Covers some but not all 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG build between 2009-2014.

If it has because needed or not, or not needed, Skoda UK know the issues from Fundamental DEsign, Manufacturing, Quality Control & Component / fluid choice.

Mechatronic Control Units, Clutch Packs, Internal Corrosion etc. EG, they messed up, they are responsible, 

the customer should not suffer the loss.

That is VW's issues which means Skoda, Seat and Audi's as well.

So contact Skoda UK if you have issues, in Warranty or out of Warranty.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

IN New Zealand they did a proper Service Campaign which was a Recall and replaced MCU's, 

but then it was only a few hundred cars.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

The EU / UK does not get the 'World Wide Recall', just the cheapest Service Campaign that the DVSA in the UK 

let them off with.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I sometimes get this shudder in 2nd gear, but I've only had it happen once or twice. - My car was first registered in June 2011. Should I get onto a dealer to check if my car has had it?

Also, can a dealer in South Wales check through their computer for a car that was formerly in Scotland? I bought my car in Edinburgh.

This and the 1.8TSI failures don't inspire confidence in a car I've just effing bought.

I feel like I have called this upon myself when reading thru these topics :D

Yesterday I have experienced for the first time vibrations in 2nd gear. It was a shocker for me, as I had problem free 12 000 km since purchase.

Situation ? City driving, going from 5-10 km per hour and slowly accelerating.

It does it only when heated up and in D mode, in range of 1200-1800 RPM. S mode/Manual is problem free.

Called the dealer already for diagnostics, gonna hit it sometimes next week. I am gonna try first the software update, then I guess if it won't help then new clutch pack. :(

82K km on the clock, filter and DSG oil changed at 60K mark.

To me it seems like the Trany can't handle high ambient temperatures in combination with workload.

Since it is dry type and clutches are not sitting in the oil.

Also  I need to double check with Skoda if I have the "updated" oil type in DSG. I think it should be switched from mineral to synthetic.

It is little off topic, but I am kinda skeptic with services from dealers. Yesterday I have found out that After Engine oil change, they  did not top it off !!!.

On the paper they wrote that they have used 4.6 l of Oil, however the oil dipstick is at minimum level  :peek:

For the World Wide Recall on the DQ200 Twin Dry clutch 7 Speed DSG.

(World wide excluding the EU /UK)

The 'Synthetic Oil' is changed for 'Mineral oil'   ie It is Synthetic Oil removed, Mineral Oil put in.

& a Software Update, 

& the cars battery is not connected during the Update to the DSG ECU, an external power is used, or should be.

In New Zealand a New Mechatronics Control Unit was fitted.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

The issue is not only in hot or humid countries as VW first tried to spin, many countries have similar weather to New Zealand.

the issue is internal corrosion & power loss is a safety issue even if VW think loss of power means you can roll to the side of a road.

Many cars have been missed in the Recall, Service Campaign or Skoda Secret Service campaign as they can be.

Skoda staff not taking things seriously. 'Does not affect us'.  'No need to worry, only hot countries', and such lies.

The 'Synthetic Oil' is changed for 'Mineral oil'   ie It is Synthetic Oil removed, Mineral Oil put in.

Thanks a lot for the correction !!!.

Knowing that Europe is out of this oil change really bothers me ... Will be hard to get it done then.

In the meantime, today my DSG is working as before, no vibration or anything. Even after 15 kilometers. On the other hand Ambient temperature was just 15 degrees instead of 24 ... I need to wait for hot days to see if it decides to vibrate again  :nerd:

It is not out of this oil change.

There is a Service Campaign, so if your DSG 7 Speed had Synthetic Oil in from the Factory see a Main Dealer about Skoda paying for the Service Campaign.

Then there is there confusion on which DSG were filled with which, so ask about having it changed unless Skoda / VW are sure which 

oil is in.

they are 'Simply Clever', so when they mess up they need to sort things out.

Hello there.

As these are my observations over one week:

- Conditions under which vibrations occur:

• Warmed up car (1+ hour driving)
  • Pulling out from low speed, 2nd gear, low RPMs
  • In this state It seems like also something is loose in the transmission (Driving around 2nd gear)

- To me this seems like totally design flaw, as obviously the DSG cannot handle normal load in summer temperatures (After cold start everything is fine)

- I am already booked to see my dealer, I am wondering what he will say.

- In the service history I have found that at at DSG service, based on the history they have filled it with about 16l of oil :D To me it seems like the guy entering the data into the system didn't know that 7DSG is dry clutch and entered the "prescribed" materials for 6DSG.

What type of Service History on a DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.?

There is no Service Schedule for them, or oil change.

They do not need Oil Changes like the 6 speed wet clutch DSG's

The only Oil service is the 'Recall Action / Service Campaign that VW have had to do where a box that had Synthetic Oil filled at the factory 

has this removed and Mineral Oil put in and a Software Update gets done.

If some Dealership / Technician actually changed the Oil in your DSG other than as per the Service Campaign for 

the DQ200 possible issues then they have some sorting out to do.

Looks like somewhere along the lines you were either charged for work not done, 

or if they serviced a 7 Speed DSG wrongly they have to answer for their mistake.

Be sure to get in Writing from the Workshop Manager and Dealer Principal what they did and when and why.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• 5 months later...

Ah so, time for some good old thread necromancy.

My car was due it's 10K miles service today and I highlighted the juddering in 2nd (its getting really bad)

I called the dealer (it's within warranty, so I need to go to a main dealer to ensure they carry out the work)

The technician's recommendation was to change the oil. (really?) I explained that the DSG box in this car does not receive normal oil changes - only the service campaign and it's been carried out. Explained that I had checked this with Skoda Customer Service earlier in the year.

So they're keeping the car until tomorrow. This needs to be sorted.

Good news, everyone!

Main dealer said that there was indeed a technical bulletin that highlights the clutch pack needing replacement in such a case so looks like this will be sorted under warranty.

• Like 1