What size of rims on winter tyres?

Suvdal

Hello.

I was wondering what size your rims are in the winter?

I am about to buy a new set now, but cant decide between 16¨ and 17¨... I guess the 16¨ will be the most comfortable, but for sure the 17¨ will look better.. :giggle:

What do you think? :)

ooo no please dont start this one up!

Ok, some people say 16" as it's a: cheaper b: more widely available: c: has less of a surface area, therefore will "Cut through" deeper snow.

Some, as with myself, say bigger (18" in my case) as they are a: better looking b: have a wider surface area, and therefore will float easier "on" the snow.

2nd year now with the same 18" Rims, and well, i couldnt stand the look of 16" steels!!

Al.

ooo no please dont start this one up!

Ok, some people say 16" as it's a: cheaper b: more widely available: c: has less of a surface area, therefore will "Cut through" deeper snow.

Some, as with myself, say bigger (18" in my case) as they are a: better looking b: have a wider surface area, and therefore will float easier "on" the snow.

2nd year now with the same 18" Rims, and well, i couldnt stand the look of 16" steels!!

Al.

If looks are the most important thing then stick with the 18's, tyres will be a fair bit more expensive and performance in the snow will not be as good, mainly due to the lower profile the 18's need to use.

If looks are unimportant then 16" steel wheels fitted with 205/55/16 tyres are just the job, however if like me you want the best tyre for the job but also want decent looks then get a nice set of OE 16" alloys to put the tyres on. :thumbup:

Personally I too could not live with steel wheels. :no:

My 16" (Audi BBS 'abitos' winter wheels)

DSC01386.jpg

Not as nice as the OE 18" Luna's granted, but still nice IMO:

DSC01198-1.jpg

Hello.

I was wondering what size your rims are in the winter?

I am about to buy a new set now, but cant decide between 16¨ and 17¨... I guess the 16¨ will be the most comfortable, but for sure the 17¨ will look better.. :giggle:

What do you think? :)

Are there insurance implications in Norway? Possibly not as bad as in the UK where (unsurprisingly due our climate) there seems to be a lack of info and awareness. The UK owners manual states, 'You must only fit those types of winter tyre which are approved for your vehicle. The permissible sizes of winter tyres are stated in your vehicle documents. Approvals may differ because of national legislation.' Insurance companies may have a sense of humour failure if you don't follow the manual???

Go for 17" Trifid :)

I live in Oslo (lowland) and don't have the worst conditions maybe, but I occasionally drive to the mountains and there are no problems whatsoever. I'm very satisfied. Bought them at Skoda dealer for £1500 (NOK 13000) in Oslo.

Laaban, do you by any chanche have a picture of your car? :)

I purchased a set of second hand Thermisto Rims, had them Powder Coated. I have had Avon Ice Touring ST tyres fitted. Drives very well with them and they seem to ride over the pot holes better than the Continentals. They clear water very well and feel very positive on the road. Really happy with them. :)

http://imageshack.us/f/197/19112011049.jpg/

I purchased a set of second hand Thermisto Rims, had them Powder Coated. I have had Avon Ice Touring ST tyres fitted. Drives very well with them and they seem to ride over the pot holes better than the Continentals. They clear water very well and feel very positive on the road. Really happy with them. :)

http://imageshack.us/f/197/19112011049.jpg/

My car is beeing delivered with 18¨ Themisto on summer tyres, so I`ll think I have to go for something else on winter :)

My car is beeing delivered with 18¨ Themisto on summer tyres, so I`ll think I have to go for something else on winter :)

I think 18" winter tyres would be madness in Norwegian conditions, remember; we have actual snow, ice and slush over here, guys :D :D :D

I ordered 17" on mine (2WD), and I think that will be a decent compromise between looks and handling. Is yours a 4x4, Suvdal?

the 17" and the 18" are the same width - go for 16" if you want a narrower profile tyre.

My car (170 4x4) was delivered on 18" Thermisto's but runs 18" Luxon's in the winter.

Be careful on non-oem rims and insurance.

Al.

I think 18" winter tyres would be madness in Norwegian conditions, remember; we have actual snow, ice and slush over here, guys :D :D :D

I ordered 17" on mine (2WD), and I think that will be a decent compromise between looks and handling. Is yours a 4x4, Suvdal?

I have never needed 4x4 before, even though the winter is tough here, so I ordered it with FWD only.

Guess the 17" Trifid rims could be good solution :)

Laaban, do you by any chanche have a picture of your car? :)

Sorry Suvdal, only got pics with summer rims (themisto). And now it is to dirty (blush) to even consider taking a shot of it...

But I think it looks good. VC5 tyres btw.

• 2 weeks later...