1.2 htp engine characteristic?

Hi everyone,

I have recently taken over the usage of a Fabia 2, level one with the 3 cylinder engine, it is a 2007 model with 16000 miles on the clock, just an observation but when revving the engine ( stationary ) up to say 3500rpm and then taking you foot off the throttle the engine seems to take ages ( around 3 to 4 secs) to slow down to tickover speed, sometimes the revs drop off straight away? Is there a fault or is it a characteristic of this engine? maybe some 1.2 htp owners out there could shed some light?

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I have recently taken over the usage of a Fabia 2, level one with the 3 cylinder engine, it is a 2007 model with 16000 miles on the clock, just an observation but when revving the engine ( stationary ) up to say 3500rpm and then taking you foot off the throttle the engine seems to take ages ( around 3 to 4 secs) to slow down to tickover speed, sometimes the revs drop off straight away? Is there a fault or is it a characteristic of this engine? maybe some 1.2 htp owners out there could shed some light?

Cheers!

I think the throttle is fly-by-wire so should shut off quite quickly. They are quite low compression ratio and probably have a heavyish crank with quite a lot of inertia all meaning quite a slow slow down in revs, I will try it ours.

Modern engines, petrol and diesel have emission controls that allow the engine to slow from higher revs very slowly compared to older engines. That's all it is.

They do seem to do this, mine is same. I like it as it is a buzzy perky little engine and as it maintains the revs through the gears it's a joy to drive. No flat spots at all. :thumbup:

Just did my first long run in the 1.2 HTP today, Heathrow today, much better than I thought it would be, well impressed.

Think it is only doing 40 mpg or so which is what I get out of the 1.8 TSI DSG at around 80 mph but not bad but it is quoted at 48 mpg combined but I expect I would have to hold it around 65 mph to get anything like that level.

Edited by lol

I seem to get between 38-44mpg over a tank full on mine (mix of town/mway). "trying" to drive for economy seems to yield little better, so you may as well nip round in it quite briskly :)

I have noticed the engine maintaining revs only sometimes on a cold start, may be worth doing the old disconnect the battery for a few hours trick to reset everything?

Just did my first long run in the 1.2 HTP today, Heathrow today, much better than I thought it would be, well impressed.

Think it is only doing 40 mpg or so which is what I get out of the 1.8 TSI DSG at around 80 mph but not bad but it is quoted at 48 mpg combined but I expect I would have to hold it around 65 mph to get anything like that level.

Two things kill economy on the 1.2htp in my experience, speeds above 65mph and the cold weather. So motorway runs this time of year wont give you a true picture of what the car will do. My wife does a 60mile A and B road run to our caravan in the summer and gets 50mpg.

Most of the time it's mid 40's but can get into the 30's for short trips in the current freezing weather.

Very similar economy to our TSi DSG.

Oh the HTP does hold the throttle open, catches me out sometimes in traffic if I've not driven it for a while.

Cheers

Lee

Two things kill economy on the 1.2htp in my experience, speeds above 65mph and the cold weather. So motorway runs this time of year wont give you a true picture of what the car will do. My wife does a 60mile A and B road run to our caravan in the summer and gets 50mpg.

Most of the time it's mid 40's but can get into the 30's for short trips in the current freezing weather.

Very similar economy to our TSi DSG.

Oh the HTP does hold the throttle open, catches me out sometimes in traffic if I've not driven it for a while.

Cheers

Lee

Yes max torque is at a rather lowly 3000 rpm which is about 63 mph in the 60 hp Fabia so I imagine it is "downhill" from there becuase of that plus the 30% more energy/fuel for 10% more speed equation that normally aplies.

Hate to say it but when you cruising around the 80 mph then the dwiesels make more sense but it is just their acceleration, cost, and note that put me off.

Edited by lol

I wouldn't recommend the 1.2HTP for anyone who has a motorway commute there are better cars for that job. At 75-80mph my Passat is 10-15mpg more economical than the little Fabia. I think if I had to do my commute but only had the money I paid for the Fabia htp I'd be looking for a second hand Octavia diesel.

But in it's own environment as a small cheap run about it's excellent, full of charachter, responsive, economical and reliable. It can hold it's own speed wise on the motorway, it still pulls well at 70+ but it isn't a relaxing drive on the motorway and it isn't economical either.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

I wouldn't recommend the 1.2HTP for anyone who has a motorway commute there are better cars for that job. At 75-80mph my Passat is 10-15mpg more economical than the little Fabia. I think if I had to do my commute but only had the money I paid for the Fabia htp I'd be looking for a second hand Octavia diesel.

But in it's own environment as a small cheap run about it's excellent, full of charachter, responsive, economical and reliable. It can hold it's own speed wise on the motorway, it still pulls well at 70+ but it isn't a relaxing drive on the motorway and it isn't economical either.

Cheers

Lee

I would agree wholeheartedly with your comments. The 1.2 HTP is a great car but not for frequent motorway trips.Many small diesels will return around 70mpg at 70 mph but the Fabia 1.2 won't get close to 60 mpg at this speed. As I have constantly said I find it hard to fault the little Fabia, however while it will cruise effortlessly at up to 80mph the engine sups like a ****head at these speeds :giggle:

Edited by horkin

I would agree wholeheartedly with your comments. The 1.2 HTP is a great car but not for frequent motorway trips.Many small diesels will return around 70mpg at 70 mph but the Fabia 1.2 won't get close to 60 mpg at this speed. As I have constantly said I find it hard to fault the little Fabia, however while it will cruise effortlessly at up to 80mph the engine sups like a ****head at these speeds :giggle:

But it is the cost of buying the diesel car and fuel that seem to more than offset the benefit of diesel over petrol in the UK, not in most if not all other European countries where diesel cars and fuel are cheaper than petrol.

The Fabia has a Aerodynamic drag coefficient of 0.33 compared to 0.30 of the Octavia so it is needing more power to go the same speed. For example the Fabia VRS has the nearly the same tope speed as my 1.8 TSI Octy2 with 20 hp difference.

I am wondering if eco tyres might help significantly as the Fabia is quite heavy and eco tyres are available in 15 inch sizes.

The 1.2 HTP is amazingly capable of mowing along and I am glad to use it to give the Octavias a rest and the Fabia a run out from city journeys but it is the fact the the fuel consumption seems similar to my 1.8 TSI Octy and the fairly awful seat that are a bit of a down side.

I quite like the Fabia VRS seats when I tried then a couple of weeks ago.

Anyways it is the cheap insurance of the 1.2 HTP that is the big point. Less than £500 to have a 17 year old on the policy and it has quite a good Euro-NCAP safety score as well though I would like to see airbag curtains and ESP as mandatory on all new cars personally.

Unleaded 95 petrol price per litre

in euros December 14th 2011

................................Diesel price per litre in euros December 14th 2011

Belgium 1.44............1.32...-12c

Czech Rep 1.33............1.34

France 1.49............1.36...-13c

Germany 1.47............1.36...-11c

Greece 1.61............1.42

Ireland 1.50............1.45...-5C

Italy 1.71............1.70

Luxembourg 1.27............1.20

Netherlands 1.55............1.32...-23c

Poland 1.19............1.20

Portugal 1.50............1.40

Spain 1.29............1.31