First Service costs on Variable Servicing

They have no clear pricing policy

They lie to customers....Making up prices

They say they have done work when they have not

They didn't fit my engine cover back on properly due to a push clip they damaged

Luckily it was repairable with super glue

When I got home, I realised that I had not had a written report...I asked for the lights to be realigned..They appear a litle low (Xenons)and a rattle from the passenger rear seatback catch ( I had stuffed some sponge in the catch to stop it rattling)

I rang the dealer again and asked..After a few minutes thay came back and said that they couldnt detect a rattle..but strangely the sponge had gone..and the headlights were set correctly...I really dont think they looked at it at all

If you're reading this DM Keith in Bradford

Well...You've lost another customer!!

I shall not be going there again

Yep, not too convinced on DM Keith's 'menu pricing' either. They flat refused to tell me their hourly labour rate when I asked them insisting they have set prices for different jobs.

They also damaged a push clip on my engine cover on my Scout, as it's only ever them that have touched it they'll be replacing it at the next service at their cost.

All in all though I've been impressed with DM Keith in York, I find them very honest. For those that remember my 'Gritty Oil' thread they didn't have to tell me of these issues, they could have taken the route of least resistance and not mentioned it, but they didn't and I'm sure that telling the truth caused them additional grief from both me and Skoda UK but it certainly scored them well in my eyes.

ChrisRs, why don't you update DM Keith Bradford's 'Skoda Retailer Network Review' thread. I can see you have had positive things to say about them in the past and they seem to read and respond to queries - may be worth a shot in the hope they try to make amends?

:o , how much are four spark plugs, diverter valve and air filter? More than £200 I hope or it was you being bent over a barrel!

See my previous post, I can get longlife oil, oil filter, sump plug and pollen filter for £110 AND a Skoda stamp.

I was quoted approximately £55.00 for plugs and £50.00 for diverter valve + hours labour and VAT and it's pretty much £200. I was more than happy with that. Fitted by a quality indie too.

They have no clear pricing policy

They lie to customers....Making up prices

They say they have done work when they have not

They didn't fit my engine cover back on properly due to a push clip they damaged

Luckily it was repairable with super glue

When I got home, I realised that I had not had a written report...I asked for the lights to be realigned..They appear a litle low (Xenons)and a rattle from the passenger rear seatback catch ( I had stuffed some sponge in the catch to stop it rattling)

I rang the dealer again and asked..After a few minutes thay came back and said that they couldnt detect a rattle..but strangely the sponge had gone..and the headlights were set correctly...I really dont think they looked at it at all

If you're reading this DM Keith in Bradford

Well...You've lost another customer!!

I shall not be going there again

I'll whisper this, but in the dark days when I had a Vauxhall (don't mock), you could go into their service department and see on the wall a list of models and service costs for minor and major services

It's making me a bit cynical that this whole 'variable servicing' thing has been brought in so that they don't provide a clear pricing policy

I know for a fact there is no service price menu on display at my local Skoda dealer, so for the unsuspecting customer they could virtually name any price

I'd go for the reputable independent every time!!!

I use DSB Autocare in Bulwell, Nottingham every time and have always been more than happy with professional service and moderate prices.

http://www.dsbautocare.co.uk/

I have no connection with DSB other than being a very satisfied customer.

Go with the trusted Indys!

Regards

Dave

Main dealers are crying out for business.

I can't believe somebody paid £300++ for a service!!. I have just paid £299 for 2 services, 2 MOTS, brake fluid change, oil/air/fuel filter at a Skoda main dealer (2 year service plan) My fabia is a MY2008 1.9tdi sport. Only any good for time and distance not variable, however I would not do a variable servicing anyway (2years or 20000 miles has to be too long between services).

Even if you don't use the MOT's cos your cars are young it's still a great package. However I think there is a package that doesn't include the MOTS but gives you a £50 voucher for accessories and is still £299!!

I have also just had the cambelt and water pump replaced at the skoda dealer for £318 (it's coming upto 4years old).

I aslo have the £299 service package on my superb 170dsg Elegance.

Haggle. They are desperate for your busines

Main dealers are crying out for business.

I can't believe somebody paid £300++ for a service!!. I have just paid £299 for 2 services, 2 MOTS, brake fluid change, oil/air/fuel filter at a Skoda main dealer (2 year service plan) My fabia is a MY2008 1.9tdi sport. Only any good for time and distance not variable, however I would not do a variable servicing anyway (2years or 20000 miles has to be too long between services).

Even if you don't use the MOT's cos your cars are young it's still a great package. However I think there is a package that doesn't include the MOTS but gives you a £50 voucher for accessories and is still £299!!

I have also just had the cambelt and water pump replaced at the skoda dealer for £318 (it's coming upto 4years old).

I aslo have the £299 service package on my superb 170dsg Elegance.

Haggle. They are desperate for your busines

If cars could not cope with variable services then they wouldn't be out on them. As you said, dealers are crying out for business and what makes more business sense - a car requireing a service every 10k miles or a car that actually waits 20k miles before it's due one?

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that variable servicing has every caused a vehicle harm.

Why stop at 10k servicing? Why not 7.5k, 5k?

If cars could not cope with variable services then they wouldn't be out on them. As you said, dealers are crying out for business and what makes more business sense - a car requireing a service every 10k miles or a car that actually waits 20k miles before it's due one?

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that variable servicing has every caused a vehicle harm.

I remember an old Peugeot diesel that had a 3.5k service interval! maybe that would be better for the car!

In that case it is only fair to look at your point from both sides, applying your argument why service at 20K, why not 25K or 30K?

Oil begins to deteriorate the minute it is poured into the engine. The older it is the less protection it offers.

Agreed the ability of oil to offer increased protection for longer periods and under more arduous conditions is improving. The latest VW 507.00 long life oil I am sure will offer ample protection up to 20,000 miles but your kidding yourself if you don't think the same oil that has done half the mileage and is half as old doesn't offer more protection.

There are as many examples of premature turbo failures on cars with fixed (10K) service intervals as there are of VAG engines running beyond 300,000 miles on variable servicing. The fact of the matter is there are so many other variables that influence a components life it is impossible to really know what influence the quality of oil has on them.

All engine components have a design life. Skoda will have tested several engines on their variable servicing and I have no doubt the vast majority of them achieved their target life, hence Skoda are happy to promote variable servicing. The additional business they get from fleet purchases that are attracted to the manufacturer with the lowest running costs will far out weigh any in-warranty failures that they would be forced to pay for.

If Skoda wanted the increased business for their dealer network brought about by more regular 'fixed' servicing then their cars would all leave the factory set-up for fixed. As it is they are set to variable, it is dealers that change them to fixed as it is them that want the extra business.

As mentioned on several recent threads, an annual or 10K service can be had from a main dealer for a little over £100. I do 20,000 miles a year. £200 / year is good going in my eyes for fresh oil.

In that case it is only fair to look at your point from both sides, applying your argument why service at 20K, why not 25K or 30K?

Oil begins to deteriorate the minute it is poured into the engine. The older it is the less protection it offers.

Agreed the ability of oil to offer increased protection for longer periods and under more arduous conditions is improving. The latest VW 507.00 long life oil I am sure will offer ample protection up to 20,000 miles but your kidding yourself if you don't think the same oil that has done half the mileage and is half as old doesn't offer more protection.

There are as many examples of premature turbo failures on cars with fixed (10K) service intervals as there are of VAG engines running beyond 300,000 miles on variable servicing. The fact of the matter is there are so many other variables that influence a components life it is impossible to really know what influence the quality of oil has on them.

All engine components have a design life. Skoda will have tested several engines on their variable servicing and I have no doubt the vast majority of them achieved their target life, hence Skoda are happy to promote variable servicing. The additional business they get from fleet purchases that are attracted to the manufacturer with the lowest running costs will far out weigh any in-warranty failures that they would be forced to pay for.

If Skoda wanted the increased business for their dealer network brought about by more regular 'fixed' servicing then their cars would all leave the factory set-up for fixed. As it is they are set to variable, it is dealers that change them to fixed as it is them that want the extra business.

As mentioned on several recent threads, an annual or 10K service can be had from a main dealer for a little over £100. I do 20,000 miles a year. £200 / year is good going in my eyes for fresh oil.

In response to that and the original question.....Why 10k? Why not 5k, 7.5k, 20k, 30k, 50k??

You say it starts deteriorating the minute it is poured in which clearly is true but who says that 507.00 is any good after 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25k?

10k is just a figure plucked out by manufacturers years and years ago to keep customers happy as people like to follow a 'regime'. I would have no doubt that 507.00 oil which has been improved million fold from mineral oil from the 30's that it would offer full protection up to and well beyond 20k.

The most important thing to look at with premature engine/turbo failure is the warm up/cool down cycle and checking the level regularly instead of when the light is on.

UPDATE

Had a phone call tonight from the MD of the dealership

Very satisfied after a long conversation

Some errors in communication we both concour

Basically I am satisfied with the outcome and faith has been restored in the Dealer

UPDATE

Had a phone call tonight from the MD of the dealership

Very satisfied after a long conversation

Some errors in communication we both concour

Basically I am satisfied with the outcome and faith has been restored in the Dealer

Glad its sorted.

Mines at DMK tomorrow for 4th variable service so hopefully I won't need to contact the MD...

:thumbup: to DMKeith Leeds today.

4th Variable service, MOT, brake fluid, filters - all for less money than some have paid for a first service. DMK price matched an indy. So if you want a sensible price - come to Yorkshire.

Ok an update from my last post. I've had 4 Quotes:

Jewsons in Oxford £255 (Most Local)

Hughes in Farnham £210

Hughes in Aylesbury £184

Faintree in Bridgenorth £175 (85 Miles away)

The good news is I phoned Jewsons for an explination as why there so expensive as the guy at Faintree said they must be wrong and was told it was the going rate but if i could find better he'd match it. I don't think he was really expecting me to come back with such a difference to his but good to his word he's going to match the £175 so am reasonably happy saviing £80 but still think it's a bit pricey

• 2 months later...

Just spoke to dealer i bought car from and was quoted 173.77 for variable service. Asked for advice about switching to fixed servicing and was told that fixed servicing isnt faixed really and that if i am getting my first variable done at 13k then fixed will probably require a service in around 7k. Now to me this sounds like complete bunkum. Surely fixed servicing is fixed ie 10k or 1 year.

• Like 2

Going to do most of the servicing on mine myself (about the only thing I wont have go at on a car is the cambelt kit) and I'll be going to fixed intervals by the sounds of it when I reset the service indicator. One thing is for sure though I'll be doing oil changes before the car is telling me too. Sorry if it offends anyone but cars going 15K+ between changes on variable is a joke and complete madness. I wouldn't let a petrol go that far between changes let alone a diesel. :x

As far as the Health Check is concerned I would take it as a pinch of salt. Just had mine back and they got the make of one of the rear tyres wrong and the spare. Presumably they haven't checked it at all or not properly.

It's worth negotiating - I was quoted £189 for first service including pollen filter - rapidly reduced to £141 when I said 'too much'. Could probably have reduced it further but I would like the dealership to remain in business as they are very good.

• 1 month later...

1.4 TSi had its first variable service today at 16500miles. Was quoted £212 initially by main dealer in Hull and when I suggested I could get the same job done at another skoda dealer within about 50 miles for £157 (after a bit of ringing around) the agreed to do it and a valet for £163. Much better! It pays to research and be prepared to travel

1.4 TSi had its first variable service today at 16500miles. Was quoted £212 initially by main dealer in Hull and when I suggested I could get the same job done at another skoda dealer within about 50 miles for £157 (after a bit of ringing around) the agreed to do it and a valet for £163. Much better! It pays to research and be prepared to travel

wow thats a lot for something which uses 'cheap' oil compared to the TDI's. I reckon VW would do it cheaper than that!