Bye Bye Vrs

dickyd

After 7 months from new ownership my red Vrs is going....

My fault really, car is a bit too dare I say boring? Too quiet, too comfortable, too smooth for me so trading down to a Suzuki Swift Sport 2009 plate !

I think the rot set in after having to wait 7 months for a new car and then to have lots of niggling build quality issues, rattling instruments, doors, dashboard and suspension. Dirt in paint work, corroded alloys and trim coming away. Yes I know eventually they can be fixed but thats not the point when you buy your first brand new car.

Oh and the fuel consumption is around 28mpg nowhere near the claimed, I am realistic and didn't expect to get 47 mpg but maybe mid 30's especially as you have to use 98 ron ( or do you !! )

Looking forward to a new(ish) toy to play with, wishing you all well and good luck with your cars!

Rich

Don't blame you, Build quality on these fabia's now seem really shoddy! Churning them out the factory.

Please don't use the whole 'I only paid 13k for my car so its fine if it rattles'. Anyone that thinks that is a bit silly... You bought a new car, it should be fine!

I also got rid of my VRS but not for quality or running cost.

Got my self a 10 plate Mazda mx5 2L sport tech and I have to say the fabias quality is just as good in my opinion, then if you compare the running cost the fabia vrs wins hands down on every thing.

But sitting on my driveway beside my other fabia (a 2008 fabia 12 sport, the mazda looks miles apart), the mx5 handling is far better and back to a manual gear box, loads more fun driving the mx5 and doesn't use use any oil, I did like the dsg but a manual is much more fun. Hope you like your Suzuki Swift don't think you will get much more MPG but do enjoy any way.

PS if I had the money I would replace the Fabia 12 sport for a VRS.

Edited by curs

Build quality does seem to vary ! Luckily mine has had no problems (60 plate) only an intermittent minor rattle somewhere within the passenger door..My fuel consumption seems to be getting better,Struggled to get over 40mpg at first..now I can easily get 40/45 at normal motorway speeds and 30/35 commuting,I've had low 50's when sitting with the HGV's.Front tyres are getting close to renewal at 10k miles so I've hardly been pottering around :rofl:

I've had a go in a swift sport and they are pretty entertaining !

Its a performance car why go on about MPG! It really does **** me off. If you want mega MPG get a ECO car!!

The interior on that Swift is shocking!

Good luck :thumbup:

Best of luck with the Suzuki emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

I could bang on about just how great the Swift sport is, or how my mate in work regularly moans to me that he gets "about 25MPG , cos I drive it like it's intended" but you will soon experience that yourself. Then there's the ROCK solid ride and the questionable build quality, but hey, that's not my opinion, just his.

Agreed with Tim31, I'm getting bored of guys 'trying' to pretend a 7k revs, 180bhp twincharged, DOHC petrol is going to be frugal.

Get yourself some slippers, a nice tartan rug and a pipe.

Good luck. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Its a performance car why go on about MPG! It really does **** me off. If you want mega MPG get a ECO car!!

The interior on that Swift is shocking!

Good luck :thumbup:

Wasn't going on about MPG mate, I'm used to mid 20's mpg, had a Clio Cup and Civic Type-R, what gets me is the advertising of 45mpg when its an out and out lie !! Don't mind paying for petrol if I'm trashing the guts out of the car but I'm getting 30mpg driving like miss daisy, thats all !

Anyway I'm fully expecting to get around 25mpg from the Swift as I'll be redlining it all the time !!

i dont drive like miss daisy yet i get somewhere near the mpg quoted, i guess its a driving style that enables these things and somebody at Slowda is better than most on here but im not that far behind

at the end of the day though its all about choice and the swift is a nice looking car, especially if you get the twin exhausts, so enjoy it matey

Sorry its not for you, hope the swift hits the spot.

There is a new one just being launched I think, hope you get a deal on the one your looking at.

Please post a couple of piccys and your thoughts on the new motor, always good to see something different.

i dont drive like miss daisy yet i get somewhere near the mpg quoted, i guess its a driving style that enables these things and somebody at Slowda is better than most on here but im not that far behind

at the end of the day though its all about choice and the swift is a nice looking car, especially if you get the twin exhausts, so enjoy it matey

Cheers mate, like I say I wasn't putting a downer on the car, just ultimatley not my cup of tea.... I prefer coffee,

Thank you and good night !!

Wasn't going on about MPG mate, I'm used to mid 20's mpg, had a Clio Cup and Civic Type-R, what gets me is the advertising of 45mpg when its an out and out lie !! Don't mind paying for petrol if I'm trashing the guts out of the car but I'm getting 30mpg driving like miss daisy, thats all !

Anyway I'm fully expecting to get around 25mpg from the Swift as I'll be redlining it all the time !!

The swifts advertising 44 mpg and you are only expecting 25 mpg 19 less than advertised my fabia never done less than 35 mpg so no differences my new car should do 38 never got over 30 mph, anyone would be a fool if they thought you would get anywhere near the manufacturers figures

I tell you what some posters on here needs to get a fooking life.

It wasn't a personal dig at the fabia, I was just trying to say it wasn't for me and say thanks to all those who have helped with problems in my time with the car.

Thats the problem with internet posting, people don't act as they would in real life and become all big and opinionated, it will be the downfall of humanity !!

Anyway to those nice people on here thanks again for your help, and to the Fabia Fanboys, at least you have a heated rear screen now to keep your hands warm when your car runs out of 98 ron ( or should it be 95 ron ) petrol !!!!!!!! ;)

(PS THAT WAS A JOKE !)

I tell you what some posters on here needs to get a fooking life.

It wasn't a personal dig at the fabia, I was just trying to say it wasn't for me and say thanks to all those who have helped with problems in my time with the car.

Thats the problem with internet posting, people don't act as they would in real life and become all big and opinionated, it will be the downfall of humanity !!

Anyway to those nice people on here thanks again for your help, and to the Fabia Fanboys, at least you have a heated rear screen now to keep your hands warm when your car runs out of 98 ron ( or should it be 95 ron ) petrol !!!!!!!! ;)

(PS THAT WAS A JOKE !)

:giggle::giggle:

The Swift Sport is designed to run on 98 ron too, so you wont be saving much on petrol costs over the VRS.

They're great little cars though, nearly bought one the other week but the small boot put me off.

Edited by jim157

dickyd, dont forget your not allowed to say anything slightly against the grain about the VRs, theres a couple of members who get VERY touchy when you do. opinion has to be granted by these few but dont let it spoil anything for you, their the actual trolls on this site (google internet troll to see what i mean) and need to be treated as such.

we all buy cars for our own personal reasons so dont ever forget that, your allowed to do what you want without their permission, as long as you keep those around you happy then fook the rest :p

and petrol aside ( i got slagged off there too ) im sure youll be happy with YOUR choice, just dont forget those twin exit exhausts, they look the biz

The swift is a cracking car and a good choice,i tested one back in 2007 and i was well impressed it was great fun on B roads.I ended up buying a Colt CZT which was a good car but always wonder if the swift would have been better long term?

I have always had a soft spot for suzuki my dad owned a MK1 Swift gti back in 88 and i owned a Ignis sport back in 2004 which is still going strong.My dad did 40k a year in his swift with out fault and the only reason he got rid was because it got rear ended by a truck,shame as it was still strong engine with 150k on the clock.

Suzuki engines are bullet proof good luck with your new car

:thumbup:

Edited by seagull

The fuel makes a huge diffrence in the swift sport my mate went from 95 to 99octane and the exhaust has started popping and crackling on over run(its modded) and he claims it feels slightly faster with it.

The ride is absloutly solid though, never been in anythin that rides as hard

The fuel makes a huge diffrence in the swift sport my mate went from 95 to 99octane and the exhaust has started popping and crackling on over run(its modded) and he claims it feels slightly faster with it.

The ride is absloutly solid though, never been in anythin that rides as hard

The new sport rides a lot better than the old model. I took both out for a test drive last month and the suspension quality of the newer car is instantly noticeable. The six speed box and improved interior also made for a better (imo) driving experience.

After 7 months from new ownership my red Vrs is going....

My fault really, car is a bit too dare I say boring? Too quiet, too comfortable, too smooth for me so trading down to a Suzuki Swift Sport 2009 plate !

I think the rot set in after having to wait 7 months for a new car and then to have lots of niggling build quality issues, rattling instruments, doors, dashboard and suspension. Dirt in paint work, corroded alloys and trim coming away. Yes I know eventually they can be fixed but thats not the point when you buy your first brand new car.

Oh and the fuel consumption is around 28mpg nowhere near the claimed, I am realistic and didn't expect to get 47 mpg but maybe mid 30's especially as you have to use 98 ron ( or do you !! )

Looking forward to a new(ish) toy to play with, wishing you all well and good luck with your cars!

Rich

Judging by your complaints, and in comparison with my vRS experience so far I would say the following:

Build quality: Except from a few rattles which eventually got either solved or forgotten I think the vRS is well-built, or at least not inferior compared with its competitors. I would agree though that all today's cars have less attention to detail as compared to 20 years ago. Not so much the materials but the finishing is certainly of a much lower quality. I haven't been to a Swift, but I've been to quite a few today's hot hatches and you can find a quality-related complaint for every one of them, the fabia is not an exception, but certainly is not too bad. It's a global thing.

Fuel consumption: I believe one should ignore any reference to "official" figures when talking about such cars. What is the actual mean of comparison for me is how much of a consumption related to what level of performance. And I think the vRS does a pretty good job there. Most competitors out there ask more for significantly less performance. Even if the Swift uses the same or even slightly less fuel it would do it for a whole 25% drop in the performance offered. So for me it's a MPG/Power ratio that one should be looking to if he really wanted to decide how economical or not is a performance car.

Other than that, I think one thing that has prevented a few people from getting attached to the car and really enjoy what it has to offer is the DSG. I have no objections on this as it is entirely down to personal preferences/experiences and the will to adopt to a new system. I cannot understand how my father is still having so much trouble getting along with DSG while for me is as I've been driving with one all my life. There are certainly a few niggles and downs compared to a manual but the good ones are enough to justify it over a manual for me.

But, everybody is different, and there is not one car to suit all drivers, even If they seem to be seeking similar things from their cars. It can still be so much different so If the car didn't make you happy as the rest of the people, then you did well to sell it and look for something else. Only you know better what's best for you after all no matter what others say or do.

Edited by newbie69

dickyd, dont forget your not allowed to say anything slightly against the grain about the VRs, theres a couple of members who get VERY touchy when you do. opinion has to be granted by these few but dont let it spoil anything for you, their the actual trolls on this site (google internet troll to see what i mean) and need to be treated as such.

we all buy cars for our own personal reasons so dont ever forget that, your allowed to do what you want without their permission, as long as you keep those around you happy then fook the rest :p

and petrol aside ( i got slagged off there too ) im sure youll be happy with YOUR choice, just dont forget those twin exit exhausts, they look the biz

Thanks mate, I feel all fuzzy and warm now !

Seriously thanks for the kind words all the best !!

The swift is a cracking car and a good choice,i tested one back in 2007 and i was well impressed it was great fun on B roads.I ended up buying a Colt CZT which was a good car but always wonder if the swift would have been better long term?

I have always had a soft spot for suzuki my dad owned a MK1 Swift gti back in 88 and i owned a Ignis sport back in 2004 which is still going strong.My dad did 40k a year in his swift with out fault and the only reason he got rid was because it got rear ended by a truck,shame as it was still strong engine with 150k on the clock.

Suzuki engines are bullet proof good luck with your new car

:thumbup:

Got a soft spot for Suzuki too had two in my time a vitara that never let me down and one of the most fun cars I've driven the fantastic and underrated ignis sport which was just a really fun car! Hope all goes well with the swift I'm sure you'll enjoy it.