Reseting dsg

Panosm

Found this in a scirocco forum about how to reset the 7 gear dsg..

--------------

Switch off the ignition while stationary. Press the accelerator fully. At the end of the travel, you'll feel a click from a switch. Keep it pressed fully home beyond this switch point for 10 seconds plus, suggest 20 seconds to be sure. Release the accelerator pedal. Now start the engine as usual and go for a drive in the Scirocco as you would normally drive.

It will re-learn from scratch and continue to learn for a while. After that it will adapt as your driving techniques vary. What it doesn't like going from shall we say after a prolonged "learner driving" mode and then into an "out and out " tearaway mode suddenly. Thats where it can give up and lock-out.

--------------

http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/spd-dsg-issues-anyone-t4613.html

Anyone heard something about this being true or not?

• Like 1

According to the manual there is only two different modes, eco and sport (when in auto". Depending on driving it alters between these two fixed settings.

What is all this talk about the gearbox learning? That would require some really complex coding if it would be possible. But someone out there maybe knows how it works?

Tried the reset because I could. Did'nt have any problems before and it did'nt happen anything that makes me believe that it worked...

Tech1e i drive in manual all the time will it benefit from being reset as its probably been broken in grtting used in automatic?

Doubtful as the mechanism remains the same either using manual or automatic

Just thought I'd put my experience with resetting the DSG, done it the other day and have been doing a few little journeys and today managed to open it up a bit more on some country lanes, my clunky gear change when in higher gears has gone completely, I was getting when accelerating in manual full throttle in gears above 4th and changing before 3k rpm it was very jerky now it's just as smooth as when driving in D and just driving normally. I'll see how it goes and hopefully it won't come back

Big thanks from me!!

Update.

My sweet wife is now the one driving our fabia. Of course I didn't dare to tell her about the reset experiment :) But when she came home from work yesterday she actually asked me what i've done to the car... It felt quicker and more responsive she told me.. The thing is that I drive very defensive and have driven most of the 14k mile we owned the car. My wife on the other hand drives a tad more spirited and have always complained about the car hesitating, doesnt shift down etc.

Conclusion is that I now believe that the DSG was reseted, but i still dont know about the learning part other then the two fixed modes and which the car uses as default..

just to put a spanner in the works, it doesn't actually learn... everyone read the thread (article) this guy posted here :)

http://briskoda.net/...pic/228399-dsg/

Interesting article but I think adapting to a driving style within a specific map or parameters could be classed as 'learning' as there has to be limits and basic principles of operation. However I returned to this thread to feedback on having carried out the reset. Engine off but ignition on, pressed the throttle to its limit and held for 15 seconds. Result! smoother gearchanges, slightly more responsive, seems to be in the right gear most of the time. It surprises me that as DSG boxes are a long way from perfect (nonetheless brilliant) something like this should be available in the instruction manual.

I suppose it's possible that from a 'cold boot' (reset) it might calibrate clutch bite points perhaps, explaining elimination of clunky changes?

As I've posted elsewhere, the latest software update completely resolves the low-speed hesitation issue BTW.

Good to know about this reset proceedure. Not that i feel mine needs resetting but as others have said maybe this is something that VAG should put in the cars manuals as a just in case..

Thanks guys.

I suppose it's possible that from a 'cold boot' (reset) it might calibrate clutch bite points perhaps, explaining elimination of clunky changes?

As I've posted elsewhere, the latest software update completely resolves the low-speed hesitation issue BTW.

Got mine back from a service and I mentioned the hesitation issue, they did a software update and it now runs a dream, no hesitation at roundabouts etc.

Have to say I tried that too, as I had noticed an occasional hesitation which I always believed had to do with the fact I had it in D, never happened when in Manual. I think now the box is "sleeping" a little less when thrown in roundabouts and shifts down just this one second earlier than before, which is enough to make a difference... I wonder why isn't that mentioned anywhere? What harm could it do after all?

(Except from the fact that If you repeat it 2-3 times you'll push the gas pedal out of the car... :giggle: )

Edited by newbie69

One reason might be that it doesnt actually do anything.

According to my local skoda dealer he told this option only works on tiptronic gearboxes. And it doesnt do anything on normal dsg

There is even people on the internet who have checked the stats with vag-com after doing this "mythical procure" and nothing changed

The answer i got was simple. Any hidden function or any thing that changes things on car which can be done manually without vag-com should make a sound when a new function is accepted.

Edited by terou

Well something worked on mine, I was getting worried the way the gear changes where happening but now they are silky smooth all the time.

All I have done differently was this procedure and it's changed something whether it be a DSG reset or some other sort of reset it's worked for me!

I tried this today, and I must concur with H17YD_L and say it has certainly improved my DSG. Got the engine to temp, then reset near a dual carrigeway as i didn't want to stop/start/tickle the accelerator..quick blast around the M60 ring, using the whole rev/gear range...then tried some roundabouts/standing starts. I've had an issue from new with percived hesitation from roundabout takeoffs when in D. Well no more, hesitation gone! Brilliant, even if it is a "mythical procure" highly recommended if your having any DSG issues ;)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

My old  (2002) bmw auto had a 'hidden' reset function, some people totally dismissed that it did anything, but being stuck driving around a congested town most of the time i found the beamer seemd to be building up more and more lag, to the point i thought something was wrong with it, but tried the reset and it defo worked so did it every week. Only bought my skoda fabia vrs today and i'm going to try this right now as i've noted that it does have a slight hesitation

Welcome to the forum.

Has the vRS you bought had the Service Campaign carried out on the DSG if it was one that needed it?

Synthetic Oil changed to mineral oil & a software update. 

(gets done for free if your car is one that has Synthetic oil in from the factory, or one that they are not sure.)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Just checked, no outstanding recall on it, its registered quite late 2014 so guessing its one of the last ones. Done the reset, didn't appear to do anything, never heard any 'click' though, not sure there's any hesitation in sport mode, i do need to take  it out for a few more miles, hardly been anywhere in it yet