Buying advice Vrs cr 170 Please

Hi, this is my 1st post and I'm hopefully soon going to be an Octavia Vrs owner, just need a little advice about any pitfalls if possible.

Firstly do these engines suffer the balance shaft issues found on some of the vag models, I'll be doing around 18,000 miles a year so hopefully won't suffer with the DPF ?

Anything else I should be wary about, I've looked at loads of diesel cars and the Octavia is the one I keep coming back to as being the best suited for my needs.

Cheers Andy

Hi, this is my 1st post and I'm hopefully soon going to be an Octavia Vrs owner, just need a little advice about any pitfalls if possible.

Firstly do these engines suffer the balance shaft issues found on some of the vag models, I'll be doing around 18,000 miles a year so hopefully won't suffer with the DPF ?

Anything else I should be wary about, I've looked at loads of diesel cars and the Octavia is the one I keep coming back to as being the best suited for my needs.

Cheers Andy

Hello,

I've recently joined the Briskoda brigade, its great. :-) .....For DPF issues have a look at this link DPF and how it works. I doubt doing 18k miles a year you'll be troubled by premature DPF failure.

Rgds,

Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed, I realise in theory that I shouldn't face issues with the DPF but it appears quite a lot of folk have had nightmares with them particularly certain models, Mazda 6 being one, even when doing the type of journeys that should negate any problems.

I did just under 50k miles in 20 months in a vrs 170 cr, no problems other than an exhaust sensor. At 18k miles pa I don't see you having DPF problems.

That's good news then, how did you find the car overall, the CR engine is supposed to quite refined compared to the old PD I've read ?

That's good news then, how did you find the car overall, the CR engine is supposed to quite refined compared to the old PD I've read ?

Yes, it was much more refined than the PD, much more linear power delivery and revved cleanly to 5k. It was a great car overall and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for daily use. Economical too, averaged 47.9 mpg overall.

Yes, it was much more refined than the PD, much more linear power delivery and revved cleanly to 5k. It was a great car overall and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for daily use. Economical too, averaged 47.9 mpg overall.

Great stuff, don't reckon I'm going to find a better car to suit my needs !

A far bigger issue is the almost inevitable sawtoothing issues, get it checked professionaly by the dealer (with evidence of completion) or by a competent 3rd party immediately after delivery.

Apart from that, the car is a dream.

Yeh I have read about the front tyres being eaten very quickly, I'm still on the lookout for a car and it won't be a new one, I'm looking at spending around £10k so it will have a fair amount of miles on it so hopefully it will have already been sorted, if not is it a fairly simple job for an Indy ?

Edited by Andy353

Yeh I have read about the front tyres being eaten very quickly, I'm still on the lookout for a car and it won't be a new one, I'm looking at spending around £10k so it will have a fair amount of miles on it so hopefully it will have already been sorted, if not is it a fairly simple job for an Indy ?

It isn't the fronts, it is the rears. This was sorted from early 2010 anyway so no need to worry if you are getting a post '10 reg.....but I think you may struggle getting a CR for £10k. At the end of the day it is just the camber on the rear wheels that needs modifying.

You won't get DPF troubles at all as it is a CR and designed with a DPF in mind. If you do have DPF issues, it will be a faulty sensor (Check on any you are buying that it isn't made in USA, the Malaysia ones are the more reliable ones http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/203642-bloody-stupid-dpf/).

It isn't the fronts, it is the rears. This was sorted from early 2010 anyway so no need to worry if you are getting a post '10 reg.....

Not in my experience unfortunately, my March 2010 delivered CR vRS (DSG) had to have the rears replaced last week at only 10,000 miles. I had to object fiercely to get Skoda to play fair, and with the aid of an excellent dealer, managed to negotiate the percentage split way down. I paid about 30% that hte tyres cost.

Still not entirely satisfied, I'm a low mileage driver and don't expect to change tyres ever, the car gets chopped in before they are needed.

However, I'll be buying Skoda next time, too.

Not in my experience unfortunately, my March 2010 delivered CR vRS (DSG) had to have the rears replaced last week at only 10,000 miles. I had to object fiercely to get Skoda to play fair, and with the aid of an excellent dealer, managed to negotiate the percentage split way down. I paid about 30% that hte tyres cost.

Still not entirely satisfied, I'm a low mileage driver and don't expect to change tyres ever, the car gets chopped in before they are needed.

However, I'll be buying Skoda next time, too.

The camber settings were changed early 2010 along with changing from Dunlop to Conti or bridgestone tyres. Perhaps you were unlucky. I am on 25k now (albeit with around 8k on winters) and will only just need replacing in the next few months.

It isn't the fronts, it is the rears. This was sorted from early 2010 anyway so no need to worry if you are getting a post '10 reg.....but I think you may struggle getting a CR for £10k. At the end of the day it is just the camber on the rear wheels that needs modifying.

You won't get DPF troubles at all as it is a CR and designed with a DPF in mind. If you do have DPF issues, it will be a faulty sensor (Check on any you are buying that it isn't made in USA, the Malaysia ones are the more reliable ones http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/203642-bloody-stupid-dpf/).

Thanks for clarifying things on the tyres issue, you may be right about me struggling for a CR within my budget, didn't really want to go for the PD engine as it sounds a completely different beast to drive and would I be right in thinking has one or two issues ?

No major issues on the PD, the most common issue (faulty injectors) isn't really an issue as they are being replaced FOC by Skoda under a recall.

Yes the PD is a little less refined than the CR but I very much prefer it, so much so I purposely sought out a PD when I bought mine late last year. The power delivery isn't as linear as the CR, it is delivered in one big lump (which is addictive :giggle: ).

The only way to really know is drive both and make up your own mind. Lot's and lot's of clean low mileage PD's for under your budget.

For reference I bought my 2007 (57) PD170 vRS with 33,000 miles on it for £9,600 back in October. It was fully Skoda serviced (fixed too so had fresh oil every 10K and had just had its fourth major cambelt service done), fully loaded with xenon's, rear PDC, curtain airbags, maxidot, anti-whiplash headrests etc.

No major issues on the PD, the most common issue (faulty injectors) isn't really an issue as they are being replaced FOC by Skoda under a recall.

Yes the PD is a little less refined than the CR but I very much prefer it, so much so I purposely sought out a PD when I bought mine late last year. The power delivery isn't as linear as the CR, it is delivered in one big lump (which is addictive :giggle: ).

The only way to really know is drive both and make up your own mind. Lot's and lot's of clean low mileage PD's for under your budget.

For reference I bought my 2007 (57) PD170 vRS with 33,000 miles on it for £9,600 back in October. It was fully Skoda serviced (fixed too so had fresh oil every 10K and had just had its fourth major cambelt service done), fully loaded with xenon's, rear PDC, curtain airbags, maxidot, anti-whiplash headrests etc.

Very detailed reply cheers, I've researched loads of different modern diesel cars and frankly it's doing my head in all the issues that seem to affect them all in quite major ways across all the manufactures, I've heard a few horror stories about PD engines across the Vag group particularly concerning oil pump/balance shaft failure, is the PD 170 in the VRS one of the affected engines.

Really appreciate all the answers so far, and apologies if I'm probably asking questions asked many times previously.

Edited by Andy353

Very detailed reply cheers, I've researched loads of different modern diesel cars and frankly it's doing my head in all the issues that seem to affect them all in quite major ways across all the manufactures, I've heard a few horror stories about PD engines across the Vag group particularly concerning oil pump/balance shaft failure, is the PD 170 in the VRS one of the affected engines.

Really appreciate all the answers so far, and apologies if I'm probably asking questions asked many times previously.

Oil pump issue was only in the Superbs in the Skoda family, Octy doesn't use the balance shaft drive for the oil pump.

If you end up with a duff Octavia vRS PD170 then you will have been very, very unlucky.

I was in your situation last year before I bought mine. I spent hours every night trawling eBay Motors and Autotrader looking at any diesel option from the Ford Focus to the Skoda Superb.

I always ended back at the Octavia though, such a great all rounder. If I let my head rule my heart I'd be driving a 1.9 PD105 Elegance or L&K (bullet proof reliability and plenty of toys) but I knew that every time I saw a vRS I'd wish I'd let my heart rule my head a little more.

Having lived with the vRS since October and covered 7,000 miles I have now realised its a perfect mix, oodles of performance, good MPG (I average 50mpg) and of course the stealth looks :thumbup:

If you end up with a duff Octavia vRS PD170 then you will have been very, very unlucky.

I was in your situation last year before I bought mine. I spent hours every night trawling eBay Motors and Autotrader looking at any diesel option from the Ford Focus to the Skoda Superb.

I always ended back at the Octavia though, such a great all rounder. If I let my head rule my heart I'd be driving a 1.9 PD105 Elegance or L&K (bullet proof reliability and plenty of toys) but I knew that every time I saw a vRS I'd wish I'd let my heart rule my head a little more.

Having lived with the vRS since October and covered 7,000 miles I have now realised its a perfect mix, oodles of performance, good MPG (I average 50mpg) and of course the stealth looks :thumbup:

Sounds just like me, I've looked at 320d's, A4's, Mazda 6's etc and they all have problems and like you the Vrs is the one I keep arriving back at.

I've only ever had petrol cars before and other than a cambelt snapping many years ago on a well abused Laguna I haven't really experienced many issues in 20 years of driving and I'm starting to frighten myself about buying a diesel...bloody Internet !!!

Haha, as you'll have noticed people often turn to the internet and motoring forums to vent their anger at problems they've encountered which can create a poor perception.

Sure the Octavia isn't without its issues but I'd say it's as every bit as reliable as the German marques but at a fraction of the cost. I came from a 320d and was put off the brand, the quality of its products and the strength of its after sales service for ever after a particularly bad and costly experience.

My only piece of advice would be to pay the slight premium and buy from a Skoda dealer with a full Skoda history, not only for the warranty but to strengthen any goodwill gestures or contributions that may needed later in the cars life.

Me too, I bought from a non-Skoda dealer and pocketed the difference, however saying that Skoda were still very good with some minor repairs outside of warranty completed at no cost to me.

Hi All, I've just joined the forum, at long last!

I'm off to look at a red 58 plate Octavia estate VRS CR 170 on Saturday. High mileage but full Skoda history every 10K so should hopefully be ok. Looking forwards to picking it up and the long drive home! Already got a Fabia VRS TDi PD but that's now the wife's. Was looking at V70 but after the Fabia I knew I had to go for the Octavia!

Any advice on what to look out for upon inspection of my new car?

mine has done 60k in 24 months. no issue at all except the sawtoothing that was paid for and recified by the dealer.- and a bonus with the CR has been never having to put oil in it compared to the PD that used to do a litre every 7k

the CR is brilliant. the PD was good, a big thump of power but noisier. either way they are good cars.

perhaps try and get a CR pre FL

prolfe