Automatic Or Manual 1.8 tsi Octavia

Hello,

So thinking of buying my first ever Skoda in the next month or 2

IMHO, One of the hardest things about buying a car is picking the car you want :)

And then you have to pick the exact spec. you want :)

I have now narrowed my selection down to a 2010/2011 Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi

Now my question is wheter to go for the automatic or the manual ?

Which would you choose and why ?

Edited by obi604

Anyone have any experience of driving both ?

I presume the automatic would be slower than the manual

Thing is, Im in Ireland and we dont have many 1.8 tsi's here at all, so almost impossible for me to test drive, which is why im asking all these annoying questions :)))

Edited by obi604

You really do need to try both, there are those who love the DSG box and those who do not, I am one of the latter as the cars I test drove were too jerky going into gear from stationary (both 1st and reverse) and didn't inspire me enough on the test drives to want one.

The DSG will also require an oil change at 40K miles and you would IMO need to be a brave man to own one out of warranty as far too many have had the mechatronic etc fail at an early stage.... that alone will set you back £1,500!!

Try both, The DSG is quicker, no one can change gear quicker than the DSG (8ms).

Many on here have recorded over 100k on DSG with no problems. Others have issues but then so do manual cars. Only oil based 6 speed DSGs need oil changed every 40k, newer 7speed are dry so no oil to change.

Recommed getting a SKODA Extended warranty as part of the deal - or just pushing the dealer for a 2 year one unless cars still has 2 years left - remember standard warranty is 3 years OR 60k - push for an extended and get 2 years or 100k as part of the deal.

Try both, The DSG is quicker, no one can change gear quicker than the DSG (8ms).

Many on here have recorded over 100k on DSG with no problems. Others have issues but then so do manual cars. Only oil based 6 speed DSGs need oil changed every 40k, newer 7speed are dry so no oil to change.

Recommed getting a SKODA Extended warranty as part of the deal - or just pushing the dealer for a 2 year one unless cars still has 2 years left - remember standard warranty is 3 years OR 60k - push for an extended and get 2 years or 100k as part of the deal.

When did the newer 7 speed DSG come in ?

Many on here have recorded over 100k on DSG with no problems. Others have issues but then so do manual cars.

Only oil based 6 speed DSGs need oil changed every 40k,

newer 7speed are dry so no oil to change.

Sorry to tell you this statement is totally incorrect and misleading

Manual box has been steadily improving since my first Mk.1 vRS, then my 2.0 FSi. The 1.8TSi manual (mine is a 58) is noticeably smoother change. I do low mileage and very little in heavy traffic so thought the automatic not worth the extra. But I do like autos, having driven pretty run of the mill ones a lot in the USA, so I'm not anti auto. As the others say, drive both, take a long drive, and try to include different traffic, and road type, conditions.

Anyway, you'll just LOVE the engine, whatever!!!

You really do need to try both, there are those who love the DSG box and those who do not, I am one of the latter as the cars I test drove were too jerky going into gear from stationary (both 1st and reverse) and didn't inspire me enough on the test drives to want one.

The DSG will also require an oil change at 40K miles and you would IMO need to be a brave man to own one out of warranty as far too many have had the mechatronic etc fail at an early stage.... that alone will set you back £1,500!!

I dont think it needs an oil change as its the 7 speed dry clutch dsg on the 1.8i

Go for the automatic !

I have a manual .. but have driven a 1.8 tsi dsg .. its a really good match and .... please don't let people tell you, you aren't manly enough if you buy an automatic.

It's your choice and more importantly your "money".

Edited by pz1811