Oxygen Sensor Problem

Car Details:

Model: Skoda Octavia

Engine: 1.6 8v MPI AUTO

Engine Model: BSE

Last week I got the engine managment light on my dash. I took the Car to a Garage and he told me it was an oxygen sensor that had gone.

He told me it would be about €250.00 to replace the sensor. Unfortunately I don't have that sort of money right now to get it fixed.

All I know is that the sensor is a 5 wire sensor and it has to be ordered in.

Just a couple of questions on this issue:

First, if I don't get it done for a couple of weeks can this cause bigger problems to the car.

Second, where is the cheapest place I can get this sensor or am I looking at this about of money to get it fixed.

The chap is an al-right guy so I don't think he is over charging. He said it has to come from Skoda as you can't get the part anywhere else.

Finaly, is this a common problem with this Engine model??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can this be done by me or would the mechanic need to do it.

If you can find it and get it out then yes you can do it.

Only think is you'll have to find a suitable cleaner that will remove the coke, but not damage the sensor. My usual suspect would be carb cleaner, but I don't know if that would damage a lambda sensor, so it's worth a google to find something suitable.