No ! We have no Raspberries . . . .

Clunkclick

I hd to be posted :giggle: .We've got Blackberies.Now Rasperies. When do we get Strawberies (and possibly blackcurrents and melons) to make a fruit salad. I know we've had lemons, plenty of them on market

I don't see what is so revolutionary about it?? Yeah it is quite cheap but all I'm seeing is a circuit board with a few plugs on it... I'm not plugging that into my tele because it might blow up or something.

Also in no rush.

I too want one to use on the TV upstairs using that XBMC version. Hopefully by the time I get one all the kinks and bugs will have been ironed out. I will probably bodge a case myself using plastic box and cutting some holes in it! lol

Phil

Maybe I'll do a pizza box case mod again! Haven't done that in ages :)

Will need to be one of those tiny Pizza Hut boxes they deliver the side orders in though :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just received an email from Farnell saying mine has been shipped.

No idea what to do with it as I use an Apple Tv2 with my media centre but it'll make a nice toy I'm sure.

I was under the impression that it could only decide h.264 due to driver limitations on the gpu.

For me that would be a bit problem for xbmc.

could use a 3rd party program on the pc like ps3 media server for a work around anything that serves DLNA/UPnP should work

EDIT it also supports

the GPU can hardware decode H264, MPEG1/2/4, VC1, AVS, MJPG at 1080p30. It can software (but still vector accelerated) decode VP6, VP7, VP8, RV, Theora, WMV9 at DVD resolutions

Edited by kevinm79

Serving up the files via UPnP is a different issue to being able to play them back. Some UPnP servers will also transcode (for example, running TVersity on a PC with video files would serve up media via UPnP for the Xbox 360, and when you selected to play something back it would also convert it on the fly to a format that the 360 could play back). Just because you have a UPnP server doesn't automatically mean it'll play, either the playback device has to support the format it's being sent or the "server" device has to be able to transcode, which most UPnP-enabled storage devices won't be able to do due to their inadequate CPUs.

Most of my videos are in the above formats anyway so that they are playable on my netbook. The CPU is rubbish on it at playing HD video but it has dedicated video so if it's in a supported format it will plat silky smooth. Will be the same story here.

Phil

Yeah - my issue is I have a huge amount of video and a load of different formats and as we're trying to run low power don't have the pcs on much, except for vitualisation.

The video is served using afp/smb/nfs from FreeNas running on a HP Microserver N36 over wired ethernet to a jailbroken ATV2 running XBMC (using SMB) which will play anything thrown at it apart from stupidly large files (TV is only 720p anyway). All the laptops use AFP to read files and play with VLC so again have no issues with codecs etc.

To reencode everything would probably take a few weeks, although I've thought about it, even with a couple of 6 core systems.

Still I shall have a play - I was actually thinking of a MPD "Jukebox" for the kitchen or bathroom if I could find a waterproof housing and speakers.

Edited by gullyg

Hey,

Just found this thread so thought I'd chime in as an interested party.

I registered my interest with RS at about 10am on the day they went live. Still waiting. :(

Main plan for mine is as a travel computer- mostly to allow me to transfer video from my gopro/dslr to my usb drive when I'm away on my honeymoon so I don't need to take a laptop, or buy shed loads of sd cards.

Afterwards, plan was to load xbmc as a cheap media centre.

I'm also toying with the idea of putting it into a speccy 48k case and running fuse for some old school retro fun.

I also think this could make a sweet carputer if coupled with a 7" touchscreen.

Once the supply issues settle down, I'm sure I'll buy a couple (can't really go wrong for sub £30). Till then, I guess I'll have to wait until my place in the queue come up.

Edited by BobSmoke

Just wait for the Chinese clones to come out. They'll be the same price but better specced and maybe more use in the home.

I'm already trying to get IT to think about the future with possibly using similar super small cheap devices as thin clients. Rasp PI isn't suitable but in a year there probably will be something that would work well.

Well mine was delivered the other day - as for looking for what to do with it, I think I might have found an option.

iTunes server.

Rather than having XBMC on a Jailbroken ATV2 pulling files directly from the NAS, I could dump the Jailbreak and have the files running through the Ras Pi as if a copy of iTunes was running.