Off topic but appreciate your thoughts

pipsyp

Hi All,

Sorry know this isnt a Fabia related topic but i'm keen to find out peoples opinions on a choice i'm faced with making soon.

My existing company car (VW Golf MK6 2.0 TDI GT 5 door) is up for renewal towards the end of the year so am going to have to order its replacement in the next few months. I have a large dog and now a young child (with potentially another on the way in the next year or two) so need something bigger than the Golf and a bit more family oriented, so rules out another small hatch or saloon car and needs really to be a larger estate or MPV.

I have a small list of cars to choose from (some of which I can upgrade to by making a small contribution towards to be offset against tax) and these are as follows: -

No contribution: -

Passat 1.6 TDi Bluemotion Tech S Estate

Touran 1.6 TDi Bluemotion Tech SE

Contribution: -

Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 Ecoflex Exclusiv Sports Tourer

Passat 1.6 TDi Bluemotion Tech SE Estate

Touran 2.0 TDi Bluemotion Tech SE

Insignia is quite quick and not badly equipped but in Exclusiv spec looks a bit basic, also its definitely not as well bolted together as a VW. I also prefer the look of the hatchback (which I could have for no contribution but its no good for the dog). it is however quite cheap for tax.

At the moment i'm deliberating between the Passat SE and the Touran 2.0 TDi. As a car I much prefer the Passat but am concerned in 1.6 TDi form its going to feel rather underpowered and be a source of frustration for 3 years though it is cheap for tax. The Touran is well equipped and quicker but whilst its quite smart i'm really not a big MPV fan and i think i'd regret choosing it over the Passat and its more expensive to tax. If I could have a 2.0 TDi Passat Estate (which incidentally I can in Saloon form - again not dog friendly!) it would probably be a no brainer.

Anyway would appreciate any thoughts or comments that might help me make my mind up.

Its a shame you cant have the passat 2.0TDI, I'd probably go for the insignia, but depends how much you have to pay and whether its going to be worth it and the exclusiv doesn't look very appealing (SRI Vx-line would be nice).

If not the passat 1.6TDI Tech S would do surely a tuning box could boost your power needs and remove it for servicing etc.

Whats the company budget?

Id be interested to know why no Mondeos make that list? Absolutley fantastic car

Ive now had 6 Mondeos (1.8, 2.0, Mk1 ST24, Mk2 ST24, Mk2 ST200, Mk3 ST TDCI) They re fantastic cars. If the released another ST Mondeo, i would 100% buy one. Obviously my experience is mostly the sporty models, but yo only have to look at all the group tests. The Mondeos ALWAYS do really really well and more often than not top the group tests. Plus with it being the ultimate rep mobile theres normally huge discounts available for company leasing schemes.

plus they looks really good

car_photo_390742_25.jpg

Alternativly Id say the Octavia or Superb estates. Im a big fan of the Superb.

Sadly the CC scheme where I am at the moment is quite basic. Your given a Grade (kind of relating to your position) and in that Grade you have a choice of several different cars per Grade. You can trade up one Grade (hence the small contribution I talk of) or trade down as many as you like. Car will be standard bar metallic/pearl paint.

Alternatively I can take a car allowance but but i've done the figures and to get something I'd really like with the mileage I have to do I just couldnt really justify it (given the depreciation and the maintenance the car would require). Car also has to be less than 7 years old so i'd have to pay it off and change it reasonably frequently particularly if said car was already a few years old.

I agree the Passat 2.0 TDi would have been a no brainer. Just think the Passat has a classy look about it (especially with all the chrome trim on the SE model) and its big and nicely equipped whereas the Touran looks better than it did pre-facelift but is still a block on wheels. That said its quite a quick block, would be very versatile and has some useful standard features such as dark glass and park assist.

I agree a Mondeo would be a good choice, i've driven a few 05 - 06 plate 2.0 TDCi 130's when they were new and was always impressed with how they drove, did feel a bit cheap though and dont have the classless image of a VW. Sure the current generation is probably v nice to drive but the image factor is still a bit of a problem with them.

Edited by pipsyp

Always makes me chuckle with these threads as I work for a prominent car leasing company. :giggle:

Don't mind me asking, who do you get yours from (if you're allowed to say)?

For me, Passat hands down because of quality, extras, MPG, etc. Nothing special about it unless you go crazy with paint and options but does the job for what you want.

Contract Hire with Maintenance taken care of I take it.

I'm biased (see sig). Or maybe I'm not so biased, having had heaps of these kind of cars (inc VWs, SEATs, Audis, Skodas, Mondeos, Mercs) either by owning them or as company cars, the Superb keeps coming out on top. Buy a 12 month old or ex-demo one at right money on a PCP with an extended warranty and maybe a service plan. Sell it privately when the extended warranty has 6 months left. Repeat as often as necessary.

I've got the Touran 1.6 TDI SE BMT on a 61 plate, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. Having gone from an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170bhp to the 105bhp of the Touran I was expecting it to be awful. Whilst its always going to be a big difference from the Audi, the Touran isn't too bad really(at end of day its a family wagon), and the MPG is really good on longer runs. The space inside for the buggy is excellent, and I think really sold it for us that we could get the buggy in the boot across the back seats lengthways, whereas the Audi it needed to be at an angle and compromised space, but in this theres still plenty space for shopping or stuff when heading off on a weekend away.

If theres anything in particular you want to know about the Touran, I'm happy to answer, but here's what we've got on it (cant remember what was standard and what wasn't);

Xenons (w Washers)

Auto Lights

Auto Wipers

Cruise

Climate Control

Touchscreen DAB radio (no sat nav)

Parking sensors all round

Park Assist (parallel and reverse park modes)

Bluetooth

Fogs with cornering function

MFSW

I think thats about it, but I'm sure theres something I'll have missed! Hope this helps, and like I say, if you want any particulars about the running of it, just ask - we've had it since Sept last year, and done about 3.5k in it so far.

Always makes me chuckle with these threads as I work for a prominent car leasing company. :giggle:

Don't mind me asking, who do you get yours from (if you're allowed to say)?

For me, Passat hands down because of quality, extras, MPG, etc. Nothing special about it unless you go crazy with paint and options but does the job for what you want.

Contract Hire with Maintenance taken care of I take it.

Yeah sure, we have our own fleet department but the cars are sourced by them through Alphabet. 3 year lease fully maintained, fortunate enough to get all my fuel paid for too.

I have to agree, i'm still biased towards the Passat SE. In the right colour looks really nice with the chrome bits (thinking probably black or silver), pretty decent amount of toys too. It's silly things as well, being one of VW's bigger (and effectively higher end car) it has nice bits as standard you dont see on the smaller Golf/Golf based cars like part power drivers seat, power 4 way lumbar supports, washer fluid warning, auto dipping drivers exterior mirror; all things you'll begin to appreciate if your spending alot of time in a car.

My golf seats are sports seats and have manual lumber supports but their crap (I think they are the source of some back problems ive been experiencing), auto dip rear view mirror but not the exterior mirrors, no washer fluid warning and they are elements that do my head in with the car. The Touran being largely based on the Golf it i'm sure will be inflicted with the same issues. Still Parking Sensors & Park Assist that you get on the Touran would be nice, something i definitely cant have on the Passat.

Also got to take into account that getting done speeding in a company car can be embarrasing, also the tax on it will be cheaper than what I have now and MPG is better.

I think once you've got used to having a new car every 3 years with everything taken care of it's a very difficult thing to let that go! :-)

Edited by pipsyp

In terms of practicality and keeping just 5 seats the Roomster would have been a good option (shame Skoda is not an available choice). If you are going for most flexibility and space then I would look at 7 seaters. And if the company want to go down the eco route (and maybe get some green fund contributions) there is the Toyota Prius +

I would avoid the Insignia. I've driven an Elite diesel estate (6 spd) and a standard petrol hatch (5 Spd). Both were pleasant enough but the gearbox on both was horrid - consistently notchy and difficult to get into 3rd. Powered tailgate on the estate was a novelty but it was just a boring drive.

Also got to take into account that getting done speeding in a company car can be embarrasing, also the tax on it will be cheaper than what I have now and MPG is better.

I think once you've got used to having a new car every 3 years with everything taken care of it's a very difficult thing to let that go! :-)

Superb Elegance ex demo on a PCP with maintenance contract and extended warranty.

Bought a Passat 2.0 TDI SE Estate when our twins came along, good car and we had it for 4 years. The boot is a good size and deep which is great. However apart from for big holidays it didnt really offer much more than our Fabia Estate in terms of practicality.

My wife really didnt like driving it so in the end we kept the Fabia. We seriously considered swapping it for a Touran which is actaully a very good car and probably offers more for a family. Three seats in the back mean you can actually fit an adult between the two cars seats, we know from the test drive. My four year olds loved the higher seating position and view.

Not a proper MPV but good for going out with three adults and two kids. In the end we didnt get one because it didnt make sense with the Fabia only being a year old but it is a serious contender next year.

Have had a bluemotion passat as a courtesy car and it isnt that bad and economy on it was better than the 1.4 tdI fabia i had at the time. 1.6 is pretty good unless you want to drive fast

If I was you I would just accept fate and get the family car, the Passat isnt exactly a status car either.

Edited by Black