Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD

I'm off to the West Country for a steam gala on the West Somerset Railway and I'm looking to limit the number of lenses I carry for this weekend so am considering buying the Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD t o compliment the other lenses I have at my disposal.

Has anyone else got one of these for a Canon DSLR? Are they any good?

I've read the reviews and all they seem to have done is confuse me even further! :wonder:

TIA.

I went for the Sigma 18-250 for my Nikon, and find it great as a general lens to cover a wide range of situations

I'm sure discerning photographers would slate it, but I'm happy to recommend it :)

I’ve got one and they are a great general purpose lens. The aperture is a little slow at the 270 end of things and they aren’t as sharp as the couple of Canon L series lenses I have, but then not much is.

But you have to compromise and look at the zoom range you get for the physical size and weight of the lens. Do you really want to be walking round all day with a couple of lenses that weigh more than the trains you are looking at. As long as you are not intending to blow things up blow things up beyond A3 they are ideal if you just want to take one lens on a day out.

The only real problem I have with it , and from what I understand it’s common on a lot of super zoom type lenses, is zoom creep. The front of the lens is so heavy that if you have it pointing down then it can without warning zoom out slowly. Hand held this is not a problem as I hold the zoom control barrel while shooting but if you are going to have it mounted on a tripod then you will need to rest your finger on the barrel to stop this. As I say from the forums I’ve looked at this problem happens on several super zooms made by different manufactures.

Edited by harryweld

Thanks hw.

The thing with me is that I rarely print my photos they're usually stored on DVD or Blu-ray discs and only printed in 6"x4" (15x10cm) or A4 media, never beyond, as I don't think that the photo's are really good enough for A3 size, besides I haven't got the space for A3 prints.

Hers a couple of shots I just took now from the front door. Both from the same position with no cropping. One at 18 the other at 270mm should give you some idea of the zoom range you’re looking at from an 18 -270 or 18 -250. In the 18 mm shot the sun is very bright from the right hence the burn out in the top right corner. As I say you have to compromise with such a wide zoom rage. The third picture was taken yesterday with the same lens which I zoomed out while taking

the shoot, then stuck it through photoshop.

If you double click on the images you get a bigger version.

6952424473_584e7ed938_b.jpg

6806315110_d3bf85f94c_b.jpg

6949413651_cb35858606_b.jpg

Edited by harryweld

They're very nice too, I can see my credit card's about to get a bashing in the next few days, provided the pay cheque is good.

The CC got bashed last month when I bought a Tamron 70-300 AF VC lens, it's not at all bad, it's just a shame I can't afford the Canon 70-300L, but at over a grand it's simply out of reach for the time being.

i bought a Canon 100 -400 l 2nd hand last year for £800 to use on a trip to Kenya with the intention of selling it when I got back. But once I had seen the results, well its still in my camera bag and going nowhere. Big L series lenses are great but you just don't want to walk round with one round your neck all day.

6615988053_483f9af3a4_b.jpg

heres some I've took with that lens, You can see the difference I think

6709964169_d12f525738_b.jpg

6596740343_19e37ef17a_b.jpg

6596642741_2a90a67073_b.jpg

6596523535_940f12f715_b.jpg

The ducatis 18 year old and I love it, bit of a tractor in town but lovley on a nice road, not to poweful and never feels like its trying to throw you off every time you open the trottle, unlike the MV Agusta. That thing is just to much for me I come back with a bad neck every time I take it out. That’s one of the problems of old age you can afford things you have always wanted but your to knackered to use them.

Good luke with the lens which ever you get.

And the new bike :happy: Mmmmmm MooootooooBiikkkke

Edited by harryweld

• 1 month later...

The weight doesn't usually bother me too much as I regularly carry at least 2-3 lenses anyway.

They are Canon 28-135mm, Sigma 10-20mm & 1 other, so another lens wouldn't be any problem whatsoever unless it was of course the Bigma aka 50-500.

Went to Paris a couple of weeks ago and took my 18 -270 with me. Really useful lens, small (when zoomed right in) and light weight with a great usable zoom range. Eliminates the need for carrying an 18 -55 and a 70-300 which is great when traveling light and not wanting to cart a lot of gear around with you. It also saves the need to change lenses all the time. If you do get one I would recommend still taking your 10-20 with you though whenever you go out. The only real problem is the slow apertures but I guess if they had made them any faster the lens would be much bigger.

To sum it up it’s a compromise lens, small, light with a great zoom range ideal for travelling and going out to shows when you don’t want to be weighed down with gear. On the down size its not the sharpest lens out there plus you only have slow apatures.

On another subject, have you got your new bike yet?

Nope. Not yet, I sold the Gixxer for £4½k.. :(

I've seen a nice new 1000 & 750 in the showroom & I quite like the look of the new 'Blade, however I have my car coming up for replacement as well, so I think I'll have to prioritise one over the other. The bike is just an expensive toy as I see it, a car is essential as it goes out in all weathers.