Vrs mk 2 tfsi engine longevity

Hi guys

Just wondering what the lifespan of the 2.0tfsi engine is? Ie would a 2006 tfsi round £5000 with 80000 miles still be safe buy or would the engine be showing any signs of wear and tear?

Cheers

Motorway miles? Town driving? Thrashing? Regular oil changes with correct oil? They do use oil. It should have had a cambelt and a water pump change. Check for knocking noises, exhaust smoke, service booklet. State of the car may give you a clue, is it clean inside, look normal condition for 6 yr old ca. Does it have a suspiciously clean engine bay or completely filthy. A test drive should show up steering, braking, gearbox and any other faults.It should pull smoothly right up to the redline. Hope that helps.

80,000 miles is nothing for a modern engine, there are plenty running around with a lot more than that. I would rather have a hiigh mileage example than a low mileage one.

I know my V8 Audi is not a 2.0 Octavia, but its engine is still mechanically original apart from the 2 cambelt changes its had and this is now just coming up towards 176,000 miles.

As Redboy posted, check for regular services, cambelts, water pumps etc. Also consider how many owners, any mods and general condition.

A cabby round my way has an Octy (yes its a diesel, but) on 170k is still going strong.

It shouldn't be any problems just have a good check and a long drive of it.

P.S. Harry_vRS----- that must have been painful for the lump to give up the ghost ion 44k.

Mine is on nearly 60k and runs like new. I'm on annual servicing rather than variable. That might help in the long run.

Harry do you think somthing else caused your engine to die. Considering there are 1000s of cars running similar power to what yours was running.

Yeah, he set all the Revo setting to 11 and drove it like he stole it....just kidding Harry...well, sort of :giggle:

I am on 80k now and ran various stages with K04 conversion from 50k. Knowing about Harry's woes, I had my pistons pressure tested and health checked a few k ago and they were like new. I drive it like an old lady though with only the occasional slip from grace....and boy is it worth it when I do :devil:

Thanks for help lads. Test drive out of question as will be travelling to England from northern Ireland. Good service record key then. Would an Aa or Rac check be good enough for piece of mind? How much anyone know?

Yeah, he set all the Revo setting to 11 and drove it like he stole it....just kidding Harry...well, sort of :giggle:

I am on 80k now and ran various stages with K04 conversion from 50k. Knowing about Harry's woes, I had my pistons pressure tested and health checked a few k ago and they were like new. I drive it like an old lady though with only the occasional slip from grace....and boy is it worth it when I do :devil:

That kinda sums it up mate haha

What power does your make now Dave?