water pump on way out

Joe67

theres a noise coming from what i think much be the water pump,at first i thought it was the tensioners but now think its the pump.

what do yous think,is this common sign the pump is on way out,how tough a job is it?

theres a noise coming from what i think much be the water pump,at first i thought it was the tensioners but now think its the pump.

what do yous think,is this common sign the pump is on way out,how tough a job is it?

You may as well get the cam belt done at the same time tbh.

All in around the £350 mark is what I'd expect to pay for cam belt kit, water pump

and fitting.

You may as well get the cam belt done at the same time tbh.

All in around the £350 mark is what I'd expect to pay for cam belt kit, water pump

and fitting.

am looking to do it myself if it needs done,its a timing chain though...anyone done one before?

Edited by Joe67

ah, its a MPI is it? I am not that clued up on those.

Joe, not being funny, ( and hope you tak it as it's meant) ,but it makes life a bit easier when looking for help to give model, or beter still add to your profile. :hi:

• Like 1

MPI ? For a start it doesnt have a rubber timing belt then !

Its the original "Skoda" engine (Crap on tax, thats why we got shot of ours, cracking car tho if lacking on bottom end torque) -

it has a timing chain :)

Surely the timing shouldn't need to be done unless it is causing noises

theres a rattle sound coming from down there,if its not the pump maybe a problem with the chain?spose i could record it and upload so yous see what am on about,might be easyer lol

no problem mate,makes sense. its a 03 1.4mpi 8v classic

Add that to you're profile then, it helps when you ask for help , as folks like me have a Haynes, and a lot of folks on here are hepfull.( Ask a Clyde sider wher somewher is ,and he'll walk you there. Ask a Forth sider wher some wher is, he'll point. I'm a Clydesider :kiss: )

I honestly dont know, sounds bloody loud to just be a water pump failure (do they make that much noise without leaking ???).

Surely if it was, you could literally feel that from under the car. Can't you drop down somewhere for a quick check and see if you can get under the car to verify it for yourself so they aren't pulling a fast one on you.

This is a faulty one on a different car - squeaking. Not banging. Sounds more like the exhaust on its way out !

it isnt loosing water mate,it isnt the exhaust,i did think it could be the cat at first since previous owner had to much oil in it,maybe timing chain?

Edited by Joe67

YES! Hurrah, someone else with this bloody issue..

The Missus 1.4MPi does this as well (I have a thread on here)..same noise, same place. Do you find the car lacks power when it does this?

Ours also randomly will NOT do it...some days it's quiet with a light rattle from the chain, and spot on power and driveability, other days it's this racket and flat as a fart/jumpy. I'm guessing the extra rattle/whatever sets off the knock sensor and the engine drops the timing back to try and resolve something that's not actually caused by the timing.

If you find out what it is, do let me know...I've got a timing chain set on order, but like I say - some days it won't do it..and to me, that doesn't seem right for a non-tensioned chain..once it rattles, it should always do so, surely..

Aye it's seems gutless alot of time.how much did the timing chain kit cost?easy enough job with a Haynes?I guess it's to risky to drive,why the he'll is the makin this sound at 69000 miles.....

Was just told these engines dont use a belt or chain,WTF....am lost,there's deff Suttin wrong hopefully can get few more ideas before have to garage it

The 1.4MPi 8 valver is chain driven, the 16v isn't. The 8 valve seems to be based on the old Skoda 1.3 engine. That's my understanding..

http://www.jorily.co...products_id=240

That's the kit I bought. Garage quoted me £140 to repair, but that was before I bought the kit (so I know they have all they need). Got to call them back and get a new quote for labour and fitting only.

Dangerous to drive, I don't think so...duplex chains are an old tech thing, and usually last a heck of a long time, even when noisy. It's the first dealings I've had with Skoda though, so..I can't make sweeping statements.

Noise apart, I see no warning lights or anything, and the engine seems happy..so I'm not massively worried. I'm going to try unplugging the knock sensor as soon as I find 10 minutes, and see if the power level returns..but as I say, it's not my car (and it's a manual, so I can't drive it myself).

From what I can gather, they're often noisy and it can be very random as to the mileage they do it at! Ours is at 101,000 on the clocks, so I wasn't massively surprised.

Edited by Sirbendy

alright mate thanks,it was skoda at sighthill edinburgh i phoned give him the reg etc and he said it doesnt have a belt or a chain he did mention something else but what it was called i cant remember lol.

where is the knock sensor located on these,worth a try i spose

Edited by Joe67