RNS510 Firmware query

Hi,

Quick question. What is the maximum firmware you can install on an RSN510 based on it's revision letter, A, B, C, D?

I think i read somewhere A & B is only a 2xxx version and C & D are 3xxx.

Is that correct?

Does VCDS lite allow me to check my revison number?

Thanks in advance

The way the firmware work are (they are in order of release ignore the no's as a higher no. doesn't necessarily mean a newer firmware)

1004 - Original Firmware

0904 - From here down is A & B Revisions

2664 - Beta Firmware and only B revisions from here

1304 - Same as 2804 but does not support Voice Control

3804 - From here down B & C Revision only - All support for A dropped

4004 - From here down C & D revisions only

Few points to note:

1Z0 035 680 A is original A revision

3Z0 035 680 A is B revision equivalent

3T0 035 680 is C revision equivalent

3T0 035 680 A is C revsion LED Screen equivalent.

Skoda don't have an equivalent D Revision yet that i am aware of.

Now there are firmwares out there that have been modified to support older devices. For example the is a modified 2764 for A Revisions. However they will be quite buggy when running. Some have no issues and others have loads. I have recently downgraded 3 different peoples units due to running modified firmware creating lag etc with the screen.

VCDS Lite should be able to tell you what part no. you have. Always take what VCDS says as, for example, if you upgraded a 1Z0 unit with 0904 firmware or higher it would change the part no. to 3Z0 in the test menu. However within VCDS it would still show as a 1Z0.

HTH

If you have any other questions give me a shout. I'm not on here much these days as i'm busy with work but i will pop back in every now and then to answer any questions

Regards

Carl :)

• Like 4

Thanks, so just to clarify my understand from what you've put

If I've got a

• 1Z0 035 680 A the latest version I can go to 1204
  • 3Z0 035 680 Athe latest version I can go to 3984
  • 3T0 035 680 or 3T0 035 680 A the latest version I can go to 4024

Is that correct?

No

1Z0 can go to modified 2764

3Z0 & 3T0 can go to 3984.

I don't know of anyone running 4024 on any Skoda device yet. There may be some new systems coming through now but I have yet to see one on a Skoda. I've only seen D Revisions on VW

Few points to note:

Skoda has more than one revision D equivalent:

1Z0 035 680 A - hardware C3/C4A which is called revision A. Latest official firmware is 1024, unofficial - 2684, modified - 3814

3T0 035 680 - hardware C6/C7, revision B. Latest official firmware is 1404, unofficial - 3984

3T0 035 680 A - hardware C8/C9, revision C. Latest official firmware is 2844, unofficial - 3984

3T0 035 680 B/C/D/E/F - hardware C10/C11, revision D. Different ending letter in the part number specifies the type of map preloaded in the factory (none/West/East). Latest official firmware is 4024.

Latest "official" means firmware which is available at the dealar, "unofficial" means firmware which is available in the internet. There are also some 41xx development versions which unofficially support revision B and C units, so we can only hope that VW will release them to the public.

Regarding the version information in VCDS - all version info there can be falsified, you can trust only the version information displayed in hidden Testmode menu under Version Info:

HW Vehicle: 0xC001, HW Radio: 0003 - revision A

HW Vehicle: 0xC201, HW Radio: 0004 - revision B

HW Vehicle: 0xC801, HW Radio: 0006 - revision C

HW Vehicle: 0xCA01, HW Radio: 0006 - revision D

Edited by josi
  • Like 2

Regarding the version information in VCDS - all version info there can be falsified, you can trust only the version information displayed in hidden Testmode menu under Version Info:

Not sure that is fully correct. I upgraded a 1Z0 that was on 1024 to 0904 then to 1104 all the way to 2724. In the test menu it showed as being a 3Z0 version however within VCDS it showed as being a 1Z0.

Thanks both vRS Carl and Josi

If I have no hidden test menu does what help identify my version? i.e. pressing and holding setup does nothing but display FM/AM/DAB on the screen

You would need it enabling with VCDS or a modified firmware.

I see you are in Winchester. I am just outside Salisbury (Bulford) so if you want me to enable it and have a look at the firmware (or even your car for tweaks) then give me a shout and we will arrange a time for you to pop round.

Carl :)

• Like 1

Not sure that is fully correct. I upgraded a 1Z0 that was on 1024 to 0904 then to 1104 all the way to 2724. In the test menu it showed as being a 3Z0 version however within VCDS it showed as being a 1Z0.

Yes, it will not change during the regular firmware update but can be modified using special RNS 510 manager software.

• Like 1

Firmware successfully upgraded to 276X based on Carl's post here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23779.0.html

There were a few issues, stopping in APPL update and again on HDD. a few reboots later and some panic moments and its up there and done.

Won't be doing another one for a few days. Stupidly panicked when a reboot didn't return and turned on the ignition, it then continued and i ended up with a flat battery :( Doh.

Jump start later and all is good.

I just hope i dont suffer teh battery drain issues I've seen around.

I have trouble finding what version Columbus I have.

The car is produced exactly one year ago now.

My dealer said that I most likely have the LED version of the Columbus

Is there only one LED version?

I want to upgrade to latest stable firmware for my unit and boy V8 maps afterwards.

The new firmware is súpposed to support norwegian language -a big plus for me :)

I attached a pic of my unit

The dealer said that I have the newest version just by looking at it..

He did not seem very confident so i am asking for tips here..

post-69453-0-10280200-1333294635_thumb.jpg

Press and hold the setup button until the system info is displayed

Thats my problem

the "hidden menu" doesen't appear when I do that

If I press and hold the setup button I get two options:

FM radio

AM radio

From what I understand there is somethimes a third option for system info

My unit is in original state.

I found that if you hold the setup button for about 5 seconds you get the menu you are seeing, if you hold it for about 30 seconds the hidden menu pops up. Though wasn't that only enabled in some firmwares and if not it needed to be enabled with VCDS?

My Columbus had a sticker on it detailing what the details were so if you can't get to the hidden menu or to a VDCS to get the details then you could try popping the trim off (open ashtray, put hand palm up and pull the trim, all prongs are gripping outwards away from the radio except for the 4 at the top which are gripping inwards) and undoing the 4 screws to see if your unit has anything on it.

There is a lot more info in the hidden screen though.

I have just had a Columbus installed and I am blown away by how good a piece of kit it is.  Of course now I want to make sure I am getting the most out of it so I am researching firmwares and map versions etc.. The seller said it had V7.2 maps on it and it looks like VIM is enabled also.  So my next step is to try and get V8 maps onto it.

The holding setup button does not work on mine so I am going to have to find someone with VCDS to enable it so I can find out for sure what versions I have on it.  The sticker on the outside of the unit says 3T0 035 680 HW:H11 SW: 1104.  From this info does it mean that mine is a version C unit?

Got few other q's below too :-)

1: I want to change from Miles to Kilometres when using the Sat Nav. I assume this is a VCDS option.?

2: When I unlock the car and sit in I can hear noises from the Columbus like a hard drive or cd spinning up. Is this normal when the unit is off with no key in ignition? (Can gateway has been upgraded by the way so not expecting any battery issues)

I think the Columbus uses the units specified in the maxidot.

My Columbus also makes noises, as did my last one. I think it is normal.

By the way, how can you tell if you have the LED version? Mine was installed at the factory and the car was manufactured in November 2010.

My Columbus made noises while it was still loading maps from from the DVD but I've not noticed anything now that there is no disk in there. Perhaps my music is too loud!

IIRC only the 3T0 035 680 A model has the LED screen. You can either pull your unit out or hold the setup button down for 30 seconds. If the latter works (it may or may not) then you'll get a bunch of screens with details on and it'll say in one of those.

The only other way of finding out is to connect a VCDS up and see what it says.

Ok, So I have had the secret set up menu enabled and here are the details.

Sticker on outside of unit: 3T0 035 680

Secret menu: Delivery Part number: 3T0035680

HW-Version: H11

SW-Version: 1104

HW Vehicle: 0xC201

I cant really figure it out so can someone tell me what version Columbus I have and what is the latest firmware that this unit can support I assume I am currently on 1104? Thanks for your help as I am a bit clueless with this!

EDIT: Think I have now figured out mine is a Version B so I can upgrade FW to 3984 if I am reading correctly. Not sure I want to risk bricking it though!

Edited by RichieH