Dual Mass Flywheel symptoms Dealer Warranty?

This is all sounding familiar to me. I now hate my dsg gearbox. It's crap. I am sure it is knackering my DMF, too quick to shift up causing juddering.

Going in for the third time next week and I have called Skoda. Will make damned sure a job card is left open to correspond with warranty running out next month. Just in case the arse falls out of my flywheel or gearbox.

Really regret buying a diesel VRS now.

• Like 1

Well done all you psycics? out there got it back last night 6.00pm said they cant fault it and they have balanced the wheels( 2 bolt caps now missing). They are cr** or not interested.

Might try another Dealer???????????

I would love Mark Fox at Skoda UK to look at this thread

OI MARK... OVER HERE!!....

Look at the amount of people who are having DMF issues!!

Agreed

Plus consider this - Chances are it is massively under reported.

OK so outright failure is not going to go unnoticed. But how many people, who are not aware of the DMF debacle, are driving about with DMF related judder and vibration having been fobbed off by their dealer and accepting it as the new 'normal' or as a 'characteristic'? or least until their car is out of warranty.

It's a real shame that otherwise decent cars are being ruined by DMF's

The fact that manufacturers are so 'unaware' of the problem is a disgrace.

i cant believe that the dealers will swear blind that there is no fault or unable to find a fault when quite obviously there is.This issue i spoiling what would be a great car and to be honest i might just go and trade it in for something else as i cant be doing with all this hastle. evry time i drive the car i hate it more.

I dont understand if a customer has an issue he needs sorting and they can sort it why dont they. there is no way i will be buying another skoda with this sort of "service". Skoda has come along way since its early days but customer service will soon see them going backwards. for what it would Actually cost them to sort out customer issues you would think they would more than make up for in loyal customers. All most people want is a car that drives well and does not break down or when it does it gets sorted without any hastle and grief.If skoda could do that i would stick with them.

But its that persons job, a career /profession they have chosen they should want to do a good job and enjoy sorting out peoples problems. i understand that some customers can take the P*** with regaurds attitude and expectations but most customers are "normal people" who bought a vehicle that they were able to afford and would like it to maintained properly under warranty or not.

Do you think that they would all of a sudden be able to sort the problem if you were paying for the work yourself?

Or do you think they are too lazy or not interested in doing bigger or more cmplex jobs?

• Like 1

Probably a bit of both lazy and un interested and i wholeheartedly agree with you about customer service its Skoda's nail in the coffin for the moment its stopping them being what could be a great brand.

I love our car and actually we were thinking of an estate version next year possibly the 2013 model if it was to be released then but this experience has left a truly bitter taste in our mouth.

Just rang up another dealer for a second opinion and acccording to them a dual mass flywheel is 2 plates of metal seperated by grease and when the grease leaks out it makes a rattling noise.

I GIVE UP !!!!! might aswell go to the bakers to get it fixed...........

But its that persons job, a career /profession they have chosen they should want to do a good job and enjoy sorting out peoples problems. i understand that some customers can take the P*** with regaurds attitude and expectations but most customers are "normal people" who bought a vehicle that they were able to afford and would like it to maintained properly under warranty or not.

Do you think that they would all of a sudden be able to sort the problem if you were paying for the work yourself?

Or do you think they are too lazy or not interested in doing bigger or more cmplex jobs?

I don't think there is much doubt. If it's your money the problem will be easily detected and, at a price, can be cured. (SMF)

In fact the day your warranty runs out is the day your DMF problems will go from being 'normal/not detected' to 'requiring urgent attention'.

Why are the motoring press not making more of this? It is in close competition with the DPF for title of biggest issue/disaster relating to modern cars.

Sorry rhetorical question - I have a good idea as to what the answer is.

While the manufacturers and dealers stick to the 'problem, never heard of that before' line - Surely there must be some point at which they accept that this line is untenable.

I hope I am imagining this but - I think that somewhere I did see a tripple mass flywheel proposed as a solution to the unreliability of dual mass flywheels - Please tell me that was just some crazy nightmare.

What makes me angry is they just ''don't beleive'' you that there is a problem.. I'MTELLING YOU THE BLOODY CAR IS JUDDERING WHEN YOU COME OFF THE CLUTCH WHEN IT'S BEEN COLD !!!!!! GRRRR lol

Edited by VRS_ROB
  • Like 1

exactly we drive them everyday(certainly in my case) So anyway Friday deadline has came and gone so Small court papers etc are lodged, i gave Skoda UK and Mark Fox ample opportunity to come a deal and even to accept my deal of a new clutch and flywheel and you will never hear from me again... but no.

• Like 1

exactly we drive them everyday(certainly in my case) So anyway Friday deadline has came and gone so Small court papers etc are lodged, i gave Skoda UK and Mark Fox ample opportunity to come a deal and even to accept my deal of a new clutch and flywheel and you will never hear from me again... but no.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Surely they can't keep up the "not aware of any problems with DMFs" routine too much longer.

Well VW Finance are involved now i wont go into it too much as we all know Skoda love to watch what i post but they have assigned a case manager etc so will see how it goes, i have offered them a settlement but have yet had an answer to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine at Huddersfield Transmissions today. Andrew the boss had a quick test drive with me and the thing juddered when shifting up from 2 to 3 AND to 4th. We could not get the car to rattle, but he said the judder was a worry.

Given that my warranty is out on the 29th I asked him if he would put it in writing via email and send it to Simpsons in Colne. I have not approached them regarding the problem as they are not local. I called Simpsons this morning and they want the car in for two days and are waiting for Huddersfield Transmissions' report.

Maybe I should have gone to Simpsons' first.

They have tolerances certainly Skoda UK do, what those tolerances are i have no idea no one could tell me infact i doubt any of them know what it is.

Had mine at Huddersfield Transmissions today. Andrew the boss had a quick test drive with me and the thing juddered when shifting up from 2 to 3 AND to 4th. We could not get the car to rattle, but he said the judder was a worry.

Given that my warranty is out on the 29th I asked him if he would put it in writing via email and send it to Simpsons in Colne. I have not approached them regarding the problem as they are not local. I called Simpsons this morning and they want the car in for two days and are waiting for Huddersfield Transmissions' report.

Maybe I should have gone to Simpsons' first.

As detailed on the thread I linked to above, you can inspect a DMF for movement without taking the box off, either through an inspection hole, or by removing the starter motor.

Worth paying for if you suspect there is an issue as if there is you save a lot of money on replacing it.

• 1 year later...

Hi Peeps

I have DMF problems on my VRS CR TDI LTD Edition. This is an exceptionally common problem on all VAG cars. I have had 2 tourans, 3 Mk2 Leon FRs, an Altea FR, and the VRS and 4 have had the problem with one getting the flywheel replaced.

As a tip, the first thing I always noticed was minor juddering pulling away slowly in 1st. First thing to check and to maintain is engine oil level and keep it near the max all the time. The lower it is the worse it gets until the flywheel eventually ends up wrecked.

So keep checking your oil level.

Managing to keep mine limping along ok at the moment but would definitely opt for a standard single mass flywheel (Cant see what the problem with them has ever been and why VAG are trying to be clever with a dual mass. Certainly doesn't effect the driving experience other than tp cause stupid problems)

• Like 1

As a tip, the first thing I always noticed was minor juddering pulling away slowly in 1st. First thing to check and to maintain is engine oil level and keep it near the max all the time. The lower it is the worse it gets until the flywheel eventually ends up wrecked.

So keep checking your oil level.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does engine oil have to do with maintaining the DMF?

I have some vibration in the car when idling, and there is a bit of "rumbling" I guess when pulling away. I've also had 2-3 times recently where it's been hard to engage 1st gear and I've had to clutch out and back in to engage. 

Are these DMF failure symptoms?