Dual Mass Flywheels (DMF)

Great write up :thumbup:

FWIW do you know if there is an inspection hole for the DMF on the gearbox/Clutch area?

I've seen some videos that suggest there is and it's purpose being that you can check for failure without taking the box off at great expense.

Would be useful to have that here so that members don't get charged for a strip down if it isn't required.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I think that might depend on the car, and as a plus point I know there is an SMF kit available for it too emoticon-0100-smile.gif

To answer the question about the scout/4x4 variants of the Octy II, yes I believe all current skoda TDI's have a DMF, although if you're concerned about this, then obviously ask the dealer to confirm it before you place an order or buy a car.

This means you then have come back on the dealer if they say no and you find the car does.

FWIW do you know if there is an inspection hole for the DMF on the gearbox/Clutch area?

I've seen some videos that suggest there is and it's purpose being that you can check for failure without taking the box off at great expense.

Would be useful to have that here so that members don't get charged for a strip down if it isn't required.

You can remove the starter motor and check for excess play on the DMF, but honestly when they fail, you know all about it :rofl: Sounds like a mad midget trying to hammer his way out of Hell.

• Like 2

You can remove the starter motor and check for excess play on the DMF, but honestly when they fail, you know all about it :rofl: Sounds like a mad midget trying to hammer his way out of Hell.

Thanks, I've updated the post above with a diagnostic section :thumbup:

I've had 5 go on me, then they changed the gear box and had a new one and now it's getting jumpy on pick up and a rough idle combined with a clicking noise that accelerated then slows after you put the clutch down. I asked as none of the first five sounded that bad or even made any noise, but obviously something is wrong and the symptoms are similar. At least the last one lasted over 20k miles.

Anyway, thanks for the info, it's very good to know it's not a box off job, just a starter off.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Really? I was under the impression it didn't have one.

If you're sure on that I'll add it to the list.

yes infact ALL the vw engines that have the O2J type gearbox ie cable change with clutch cylinder at the 12Oclock position use a DMF from 1998 onwards so thats 1.8 20v 1.8 20vT ALL TDI's 90 ,110,130 and also the motors with the DSG gearbox (these ones are particulary expensive and strange looking too)

you can now get a solid replacement flywheel and clutch kit for around £150 on ebay but......... i have heard of people struggling to get replacement clutches to fit these once worn out but then i suppose at that price its not the end of the world

I have decided this is a thread worth stickying, so have pinned it up there. :thumbup: Hopefully over time it can be reviewed / edited as things change and new things get found out, etc, B)

Well, I would but to me DMFs are a work of the devil and as I don't run one, do very little research into them. :D

If however, something is pointed out to me, and I feel it is worthy of including, I will edit it to add anything in of use. :thumbup:

Thought I would add the following. It is normal to hear increased diesel chatter when you depress the clutch, especially when the car is cold. Some people think this is the DMF failing, but it's normal. The noise is purely an audio resonance picked up by the clutch release bearing when it compresses the clutch fingers. The noise can be quite pronounced on cold mornings.

If you leave them too long they can catastrophically fail. We had one that locked the engine when it went, here are a few phone pictures:

<snip>

Eeek... that's a lot of damage to the DMF. What damage was done to the engine/gearbox?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide, fella :thumbup:

Funnily enough my Furby is going into the stealers next week to have the DMF replaced under warranty. Asked them to check on the change in engine pitch at idle when the cluch is depressed and 1st is selected. Was half expecting to be fobbed off, however got a no quibble 'we've ordered the parts and will contact you in due course to book it in'!!

Should I expect the clutch to be replaced as a matter of course??

Great guide, fella :thumbup:

Funnily enough my Furby is going into the stealers next week to have the DMF replaced under warranty. Asked them to check on the change in engine pitch at idle when the cluch is depressed and 1st is selected. Was half expecting to be fobbed off, however got a no quibble 'we've ordered the parts and will contact you in due course to book it in'!!

Should I expect the clutch to be replaced as a matter of course??

It's unlikely to be replaced unless the DMF has damaged it.

If you want to replace it and get on well with the dealer you might want to ask them if they could order the clutch/DMF kit and only charge you difference between that and the DMF kit alone. If I remember correctly that kit is a good amount cheaper than buying a DMF and a clutch separately.

Otherwise it is just worth asking your dealer to give you a call when it is off, because if the clutch is not damaged, but fairly worn, then you could replace it and save the labour.

Ta for the heads up CM.

Haven't managed to get hold of the dealer today, so will get on the case. Haven't used these guys before, so can't really say that I'm on first name terms just yet. They seem to have a good rep and a fair following on this forum, so who knows.... :S

• 2 months later...

great thread . my car's into day its a 2008 1.9 tdi dsg only brought it off them just under a month ago,

hope they replace it at there cost and dont thob me off :thumbup:

Edited by vwdan1986

• 2 months later...