Greenline performance

bilun777

Has anyone gone from a 2.0tdi 140/170 Yeti to the Greenline?

You're all very complimentary about the Greenlines economy,but how does it compare in flexibility and acceleration to its larger engined cousins? :wonder:

We have both in the family.

In all reality the 1.6 CR engine in the Greenline is all many people need IMO.

Sure it's slightly more noisy, but for general driving it has all the power you need with lower fuel consumption and cheaper running costs.

By comparison my 170 is quite brisk and does encourage you to get a bit enthusiastic.

My only gripe is that the Greenline comes with a five speed box. The six speed box in mine is much more flexible.

Skoda don't publish a 0-60(or 62)mph time for the Greenlien Yeti, but I believe it to be around 12 seconds. Similar to the 1.2 Tsi from my experience of driving that, as we have one of those in the family too.

The Octavia with the same engine and gearbox has a 0-62mph time of 11.4 seconds. Perfectly acceptable.

From the Yeti Catalogue: 0-100kph is 12.1 seconds in the Greenline compared to 9.7 seconds in the 140 Greentech diesel and 9.9 in the standard 140 diesel and 8.4 in the 170 diesel.

Fuel economy is 4.6 l/100km combined in the Greenline compared to 5.1 for the Greentech 6.0 for the 140 and 5.9 for the 170.

As Bossfox has said the 1.6 is more than ample for most people, the engine is more vocal and the 5 speed box lacks a certain amount of flexibility. With diesel prices continueing to rise I think most people could live with that.

With the fuel prices continually spiraling upwards. I'm glad I choose the Greenline. I have always had diesels, most of which were over 180 BHP either by design or with a little help from myself.

During a run out the other day, I was passed by a cashcow doing quite a considerable speed, a little later, in heavy traffic I found myself just 3 vehicles behind it.

On returning home, I checked my stats only to find that my average speed was less than 25 MPH, so I thought whats the point of wasting fuel going faster.

I probably saved fuel compared to the cashcow, but still ended up in the same place within seconds. The 0-60 times mean nothing on today's roads especially if you live in a city.

The engine in the Greenline (VW Golf 5 Blue motion) is more than capable and, with it's longer gears and reasonable torque, makes a very relaxing drive. :hi:

We still dont get the option of the greentec 140 bhp model, which has better economy than the 110...

skoda UK WHY NOT???

The Greentech is available to order here in Ireland in Ambition and Elegance spec but is 2,000 euro more expensive than bothe the 110 2litre and the Greenline so the figures just don't add up over here to chose it over either.

The Greentech is available to order here in Ireland in Ambition and Elegance spec but is 2,000 euro more expensive than bothe the 110 2litre and the Greenline so the figures just don't add up over here to chose it over either.

That makes the model pointless surely? Unless over there its a tax thing with a company car?

...My only gripe is that the Greenline comes with a five speed box. The six speed box in mine is much more flexible....

+1 - seems odd to reduce the gear options on the economy model. I suspect the Greenline suffers a bit on the motorway as a result (higher revs)? Or is the 5th geared like 6th in the 4x4 TDis?

Greenline sits at 2200 rpm at 70mph (GPS speed Reading) at 70mph on speedo revs are approx 2050 rpm 66mph (GPS speed Reading)

At 66mph will easily achieve 58mpg or higher for a long run.

Pulls quite happily in 5th from 45mph

Edited by Big Rich

That makes the model pointless surely? Unless over there its a tax thing with a company car?

It costs the same to tax as the 110 so there's no real incentive there either.I'm not familar with the system for company cars so I can't comment directly on that. Another point to consider is that I can't see it holding that extra 2 grand on the far end when you go to sell.

With all the electronices on the Yeti how come the stop start on the greenline dose not drain the battery?

Because the system is specifically designed not to use it's stop-start feature if the battery is low or there are heavy demands on it.

So (for example) in cold weather when you have the heated seats on and heating cranked up it won't come on. Or if you stop-start a lot of times in a short space of time. Etc...

In short it has intelligent battery management.

Greenline sits at 2200 rpm at 70mph (GPS speed Reading) at 70mph on speedo revs are approx 2050 rpm 66mph (GPS speed Reading)

At 66mph will easily achieve 58mpg or higher for a long run.

Pulls quite happily in 5th from 45mph

That makes it in the same region as the 6 speed boxes, as the CR140 DSG sits at about 2100 at an indicated 70 mph as I believe the CR170 does as well.

So same top gear, just much less power, no automatic and wider spaced gears.

Saying that, the 4x4's have quite a low first gear, so the greenline being 2wd may have a higher first gear as it doesn't need it for offroad use.

Can anybody confirm that?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes it in the same region as the 6 speed boxes, as the CR140 DSG sits at about 2100 at an indicated 70 mph as I believe the CR170 does as well.

So same top gear, just much less power, no automatic and wider spaced gears.

Saying that, the 4x4's have quite a low first gear, so the greenline being 2wd may have a higher first gear as it doesn't need it for offroad use.

Can anybody confirm that?

I have the 170 - and the gearing seems similar - I was at 2200 at 70mph GPS speed (75 indicated).

1st gear was about 7mph (GPS) at 1500rpm

In my experience/opinion the top gears are the same, or very close.

But as said the 6 speed does have a lower first gear and the other gears are a little closer together than in the 5 speed Greenline II.

That's why I find it more flexible. You can always be in the powerband as it has more gears covering the same range.

But as said, it's a minor gripe as the Greenline II is still a nice drive.

If trying to make rapid progress you just rev a little higher before changing gear.

With all the electronices on the Yeti how come the stop start on the greenline dose not drain the battery?

The Blue Motion design of the Greenline raises the alternator voltage when slowing down and braking to increase battery charging, its called "Recuperation"

• Like 1