Rising oil level

It's a dreadful design.

Still when you've done an alternator and rear manifold on a v6 Vectra B,nothing looks that difficult on the Octavia. Having said that I've got the rear discs/pads (caliper carrier) to do soon LOL.

Andy. He used to be on the service desk and was swiftly moved 'out the back' :giggle:

Haha you agree then?

When he test drove my Octy to diagnose the DMF he mentioned not to join Brisky,'their all idiots on there' and tbh some dont know their bottom from there elbow but there are some good folk on here

Edited by Ema_jane

• 4 weeks later...

Not as obvious a smell difference as petrol in oil would give and as its only up a little bit would be heavily diluted by oil still.

The aromatic parts of diesel are volatile (hence you can smell them) and they evaporate off at engine temperatures. So, I'd say a 'sniff test' is not a reliable indicator whether diesel has infiltrated the sump oil. A better check would be a viscosity check.

Oil dilution is common in diesels and doesn't seem to be a problem for the lubrication properties of the oil, provided you stay well within the service schedule (I would personally opt for shorter, fixed interval servicing given my driving profile and having read this paper http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/npbf/pdfs/44833.pdf). Take a look and it will explain that the addition of biofuel to mineral diesel oil has resulted in a larger proportion of fuel oil infiltrating the engine oil, thus diluting more.

The most important thing in my mind is to make sure:

• The dealer fills oil level somewhere between minimum to medium level on the dipstick (never to max) to allow room for oil dilution
  • Check oil levels on a regular basis and ensure that you do not run the engine if the oil level exceeds max (there have been cases where engines self-fuel themselves with very high fuel levels and rev uncontrollably/cannot be stopped.
  • Don't worry about oil not doing its job, this paper indicates that diluted oil performs sufficiently well as a lubricant.

Haha you agree then?

When he test drove my Octy to diagnose the DMF he mentioned not to join Brisky,'their all idiots on there' and tbh some dont know their bottom from there elbow but there are some good folk on here

Yep!

Dougie on the counter is a good bloke, the service manager (Steven) is helpful too.

As you know my vRS has spent in total around 6 or 7 weeks in their workshop and I've lost faith in the 'behind the scenes' ability of their mechanics at DM Keith in York.

I now use Pulman's in Durham. They have a cafe and a big glazed viewing area. I sat their quite happily watching them service my vRS and replace the exhaust pressure sensor. They are willing to negotiate on price, you get free loan cars too.

I watched the guy swap out the rear brake light bulb and it never even appeared on the invoice, they just did it for free. He also unblocked the rear washer jet and adjusted the front ones, again not even mentioned.

I got a quote for a service on my Scout, I had to spell the word 'Haldex' to the lady on the phone at DM Keith! She rang back with a quote for £140. The lady at Pulman not only knew what the Haldex was she knew the price for an oil change off the top of her head (only £65). It's this level of knowledge that gives me confidence in a main dealers real ability.

One disadvantage with Pulman is that they use an automated car wash! It looked worse when I picked it up than it did when I took it in dirty!