Gear selection problem

Hi all. Yesterday noticed only the once that I couldnt select 3rd gear on the change down through the box. Like I said it only did it the once, But today I had trouble slecting 5th, Had to wiggle the stick about a little for it to go in. Its happend several times today and had the same problem with 3rd as I did yesterday, please tell me it something simple and not a gear box problem....

can i ask how is the gearshift gaitor removed?

Sorry, I have never had to do this resetting myself so I dont know.

There is a hard core of very knowledgable owners on here who Im sure can answer that question for you, or in the mean time try doing a search.

Im sure i've read a thread about removing it posted on here somewhere.

Sorry I cant be more help

might be being dense but what does that process actually do to reset? are the end connectors self adjusting the slack in the cables?

Well I have given it a go and reset the gear change cable the same way it has been shown in video and so far so good, taken the car for a little run and everything feels ok, also put fresh greese under the gear stick gater as it was looking a little dry, so fingers crossed all fixed :) 

Well I have given it a go and reset the gear change cable the same way it has been shown in video and so far so good, taken the car for a little run and everything feels ok, also put fresh greese under the gear stick gater as it was looking a little dry, so fingers crossed all fixed :)

Brilliant well done,

For info how did you lift the gearstick gaiter out of the way, does it just pull off?

SKUDMAN :- All this does is take up any cable slack/linkage play and reset everything to a nominal position.

The gearstick gaiter just popped out of the centre console with ease, pulled up so it went inside out over the gear knob so I could place a 5mm drill bit into the guide holes to lock the gear stick into place I will be honest I was very surprised how easy it was to do, and it took less than 10 min

Well I've noticed my gearchange is a little bit blocky, so will try this tomorow. Very clever bit of design though.

Pulled up my gear gaiter and couldn't see anywhere to put the 5mm drill bit. Haven't looked under the car yet for the other switch and stuff.

There is a piece of metal that is on left hand side of the gear lever. You need to push gear lever over to the far left insert the drill bit through the hole on that metal bracket then push drill bit down until it locates into a hole at bottom of gear lever surround(far left). This will lock the gear lever in place

i had issues with the lever on the gearbox, mine has clearly been buggered! the lever pops out! lol. Still reset the linkage eventually though! and yep made vast improvement.

just been looking in the haynes manual and it says yours gearbox is a o2k(o2j in vrs)and the work needs special tools to adjust the linkage so best left to a skoda dealer,:(

• 5 months later...

Hi guys just had a second hand box and a new smf and clutch done on my Vrs. Got the car back today and all feels good although reverse is a little bit of a sod to find. You have to wiggle gear stick a little to find the slot in the gate to fully push the gear stick into the reverse position. So I took it upon myself to reset the linkage as instructed by the video. I have already done this in the past as you can see by the age of this post. I have hit one big problem and can not set the linkage up, this is down to a problem on the lever that locks the gear selctors into the home position on the box. It does not and will not lock the selecters into the home position at all. So because of this I messed up all the gears and it took ages to get them some where near, but still in the same boat with reverse, can the linkages be set another way ?

Hi guys just had a second hand box and a new smf and clutch done on my Vrs. Got the car back today and all feels good although reverse is a little bit of a sod to find. You have to wiggle gear stick a little to find the slot in the gate to fully push the gear stick into the reverse position. So I took it upon myself to reset the linkage as instructed by the video. I have already done this in the past as you can see by the age of this post. I have hit one big problem and can not set the linkage up, this is down to a problem on the lever that locks the gear selctors into the home position on the box. It does not and will not lock the selecters into the home position at all. So because of this I messed up all the gears and it took ages to get them some where near, but still in the same boat with reverse, can the linkages be set another way ?

have you done it is the right order. I had a painful time when i first did mine as I did not turn lever down at gearbox end to lock selectors. The little right angled plastic bar must have been forced in the past and i took several attempts to wiggle the gearbox selector up and down to get the rod to locate in the hole to lock. Try not to fight with it and it goes in.

If you don't lock the selector arm you will have the issue you found