Engine 'Limp mode'

Just a quick question.

Driving home just now gave it a bit of beans. Oil temp was up to 80c had the traction control off.

After a couple of minutes (and going around a corner) yellow symbol flashed up on the dashboard which (having looked at the manual) refers to a problem with the exhaust system.

Engine went into limp mode for about 30 sec then symbol vanished and car seemed 'normal'.

Anyone else experience this and does it warrant a call to the dealership or should i just forget about it???

Edited by FOX1429

Yes have done so since new (15 months) however strangely enough I topped up with 10lts of Shell Unleaded (95 Ron) a couple of days ago as I was running low and there was a problem with the VPower at the station so I had no option. I then filled the tank with VPower yesterday again.

Could this explain the issue today?

Edited by FOX1429

This has happened to me twice now. See my previous posts.

Buy some spark plugs and get the dealer to install.

I think special tools are required.

A set on the web are £37 not £50 from Skoda.

So worth doing first.

My dealer said no fault found, so I said change the plugs anyway.

That cured the problem twice and the engine ran smoother.

Worth investigating cooler plugs.

Regards

Tony

Fuel could well be the issue. If the car always has one or the other sort of fuel then you'll be fine - ie always 98/95. Its when you run 98 and put 95 in it or the other way round it tends to have a hissy fit!

Mine has always had 98 from new and noticed the garages are short of 98 but filling up now so hopefully no need for 95 :(

Thanks for the repies. I think i'll wait to see if it happens again once the management system has adjusted back to V Power.

If it does then i'll take a look at the plugs.

Not too sure why you would run on more expensive fuel unless advised by the manufacturer. I am guessing the ECU was just clearing its throat and readjusting. stick to one or the other to keep it in check but again, use the more expensive stuff if advised, if not, save the dosh, it costs enough to fill up any way!

I would in no way spend MORE on a so called better fuel if the manufacturer states the standard stuff as suitable.It now costs around £7 a gallon, for gawd's sake!

Not too sure why you would run on more expensive fuel unless advised by the manufacturer. I am guessing the ECU was just clearing its throat and readjusting. stick to one or the other to keep it in check but again, use the more expensive stuff if advised, if not, save the dosh, it costs enough to fill up any way!

I would in no way spend MORE on a so called better fuel if the manufacturer states the standard stuff as suitable.It now costs around £7 a gallon, for gawd's sake!

Assuming the OP has the vRS (on my mobile, can't see signatures or anything), the handbook and fuel filler cap recommend 'super unleaded'. I really don't dare open that can of worms though, many a fuel discussion on here already :)To the OP, definitely sounds like a misfiring problem like what I had. Probably worth getting the dealers to run a diagnostics scan and taking it from there.

lol - Skoda advise 98 so... obviously it will run on 95, this is not what we are barking on about. Its the change in fuels that do it no good, stick to one or the other.

I agree about the change in fuels... this has been a dilemma since (And even before) Fuel injection systems have been around. Just a modern car should self learn and adjust... During this process, it will run shoddily for a while. Change again, it will do it again. Even old cars had a set up where you could adjust the timing to compensate for things a little.

As for the fuel to use, I was not suggesting you are wasting money by using higher octane fuel IF instructed by the manufacturer, just dont bother if its not advised!

Backmin the old days of lads on sixtener specials, (seventies mopeds) Many users used to add what was then called four star fuel, thinking the bike would go faster... As they were set up for two star, it made no real difference,apart from to the wallet of the four star buyer. (There was even another star rating, three star, that was just a 50/50 blend of both two and four star fuel, splitting the price between the two down the middle).

Many motorcycle mechanics actually advised AGAINST using the higher octane as there was no benefit to power but due to burning hotter, could actually cause damage to the fairly fragile high revving two stroke machines of the day!

So, again, use it if advised, otherwise, save the pennies for better oil, that will do some good to the engine!