What other cars did you consider before buying a Superb?

• 4 months later...

Placed my order yesterday for a SE Greenline. Wanted a comfortable good size car for my commute which is economical. Also looked at 116d efficient Dynamic. Volvo V40, Honda civic and another Octavia. All the other cars apart from the Octavia were more expensive ( buy a few grand) and not as well specced, also they were so much smaller. Nothing can touch the Superb for price, space or toys. Also if you've already got a VAG car you'll appreciate the familiarity of everything.

I've got a Superb Estate after having 3 Passat Estates. The simple truth is that I just liked the Superb more, especially the interior and the rear legroom - its classy but without all the flashy nonsense of most other new cars (LED DRLs etc). The fact it is much cheaper for the same spec is an added bonus. There are areas where the Passat is superior (sound insulation, carpet quality, paint finish, a few more soft touch plastics) but it's a lot more expensive.

Other cars in the short list were Volvo V70 D5 or Merc E320 CDI. Always fancied a Merc but heard some reliability horror stories.

i looked at the e 320 estate quite nice but when you look close it has old push button satnav ,the seats have no memory and a lever to adjust the lumber in the seat how naff is that. the only thing i think is better is the loverly v6 diesel now if i had that in my superb it would be perfect.

bill

AFAIR I test drove Mondeo, Mazda6, Citroen C5, Kia Optima and its sibling Hyundai i40, Peugeot 507...

I loved Optima but saloon is no good for me. Was a bit disappointed with Mondeo (interior finish). An interesting alternative is Mazda6 but new one is due soon...

• 3 weeks later...

I had several Passats and was a bit of a VW diesel man - and then I bought a mark 1 Superb as a stop-gap after my last lovely Passat 130 Sport was written off in a non-fault accident. After years of owning cars outright I started looking at leasing but I do 35k a year and did not think it could work. I did a LOT of research and looked at all the mid sector vehicles. And the more I researched the more Skoda kept appearing at the top of the list of most practical cost-effective vehicle. Enter the Superb 1.9 Greenline at very sensible monthly rental and even more sensible running costs................. 70mpg and more frequently !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 2 years is up January 2013 and I definately will be having another Superb. Just terrific as a workhorse. I really am not bothered about the badge, it's what the vehicle can actually do and for how much that interests me. There is nothing else in this class that can do it for the low prices - and I am not sure they are even "better" vehicles anyway (???) Never thought I would be a Skoda fan but when you do 600 miles a week you soon find out what works best ! :giggle:

Of course if I suddenly become very wealthy I will indulge completely in exotic wheels, but for now the Skoda is just perfecto !!

Edited by HighFive

None, went straight from an Octavia Combi to an ex demo Superb Combi, took it for a test drive and snapped it up there and then. Didn't bother wasting my time messing about with other cars.

In Nov 2010, looked at E-class, 5 series and A6 estates. A6 was still older version then so good deals around. Also good deals on 350 version of E class. Liked space in E class, but also very large especially length. Economy good on 5 but that was about it.

Really wanted 4x4 so Quattro A6 estate was looking like main one, until I noticed that Superb also came in 4x4. Really impressed by packaging with the interior space created and equipment levels of elegance. Would have liked auto with 4x4 - that wasn't available at the time, but really happy with choice.

Got a good deal at 22,500, so 10K saving over other options makes up for leather quality etc and really these are only minor points.

Cheers

Steve

I was all but parting with my cash for a Mondeo titanium last week right up till the point i saw a Storm blue Superb and i asked the dealer if i could have a look and drive of the Skoda . Now i have never even thought about owning one before , not that i was a badge snob or anything , i have owned Citroen's, Fords , Bmw's , and a merc or 2 but i can honestly say after about 20 minutes in this car i was sold :)

So tomorrow i pick up my 2009 tdi 140 Elegance in Storm Blue and i am a very happy man about it :)

DSC_0125_zps358a1d48.jpg

it's all mine tomorrow :)

Edited by GerryT

bought mine in 2010 and looked at all estates

Citroen C5

Mazda 6 - both had no where to rest my elbow on drivers door

Insigna

Chysler 300

Mercedes c & e class - salesman was a pompos g** cos he sold Mercedes and took umbridge when I asked about service costs!

Audi A6 - ouch on price

mondeo - still waiting for dealer to call back to let me know when I could have a test drive!

Passat

Volvo V70

Superb has now done 75K with now problems and service costs have been excellent

Hi!

In my case: Mondeo, Mazda 6, Passat in that order. The 140 CR TDI would had been enough but I opted for the 170 CR instead, liked the extra oumph of it. The Superb for the more relaxed and comfy driving, don't need the sporty part in my family car.

/Superbjoser. Sorry for the bad editing but this board does not like Firefox appearently.

Edited by Superbjoser

After the Jag XJ

I wasn't too fussed, I thought about going green, and getting one of those new Vauxhall Ampera, but with it being new technology I was worried with faults and breakdowns.

So I looked at the new Rover Evoque, but the price was silly money, and that was just for a basic model, other Rovers had poor reliability and poor MPG.

Then I did a search for 4x4 variants, as I was thinking about my wife driving 40 miles to her work every day, and I stumbled across the Skoda Superb range, needless to say I would never have considered buying a Skoda, but after doing the research and noticing it was the Taxi drivers preferred vehicle, accompanied with the vehicles reliability then the price I was hooked.

Funny thing is when you tell people who are not in the know that you’re going to buy a Skoda Superb it’s the expression on their faces that I laugh at, cos it’s like they are looking at you thinking has he lost his marbles… lol

Quite fancied a Merc V6 E Class Estate. However, was put off by 3 different Merc dealers treating me as though I had just crawled out of the gutter! Bought a V6 Superb Estate, which I've had for two and a half years now and on the whole am pretty impressed. Was thinking about replacing it with the new Ford Ranger pick up.........but have been told there is a fifteen month wait for the top of the range Wildtrack auto!!!.

I get to drive lots of cars during a typical year so I know what I like. For me it was only between the Mondeo or the Superb. I have had a Mondeo, and driven many others so I thought I would try a Superb, which although it doesn't handle quite as well is still a very fine car indeed and better in other areas such as running costs and relaibility.

Insignia, C & E class, 3 & 5 series, Mazda 6, Passat, Exeo, A4 & A6, are either too expensive, over-rated or compromised based on the ones I have driven.

Edited by Pesmog

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

They say you can't be a petrol head without owning an Alfa - I qualify having owned a 156 over 80000 trouble free miles - I have also owned forty other vehicles including BL, Volvo (Coupe), Mercedes, VW, Reliant (Scimitar), Porsche (924), Saab (convertible),Range Rover, Fiat, Ford and others. Up with the Alfa were the four Golf GTIs (two 16v) all early MK1 & IIs - fast comfortable and economical.

Having retired with a Saab convertible, Focus convertible and Discovery II in the drive we decided rationalization was necessary, down to one convertible and a big practical carry all. Although it was go-anywhere and a better than the average example and top ES spec, the Disco was a bit lumbering and never bettered 28 mpg so was sold in November and a list essentials drawn up to inform our research.

RWD was out (have you ever tried a Meredesc coupe in snow - fun but not in a forward direction) exit Mercedes and BMW estates.

Space was essential - I'm 6'2'' and wanted knee room behind me, exit A4 and A5 sportback so comparisons between the A6 avant and 5 series touring/E class estate (for objectivity)were made. The E class size was attractive but not price or RWD, the 5 series luggage area too small and again RWD.. Volvo were rejected as they don't seem to have developed very much beyond the coupe I owned 10 years ago. Hyundai too small and we ruled out all the "soft roaders" as we use twisty A roads a lot.

The Ford S Max too big (and the sunroof is fixed), Mondeos are very expensive in top trim with a sunroof & autobox (essential to us) - so A6's were watched and researched. The desirable Allroad is £450 a year in VED so a no-no while quattro, although desirable means a 3 litre engine in an A6. So it seemed our budget would get us an eighteen month old auto A6 avant with middling trim.

By now Skoda had "appeared on my radar". I have driven quite a few VAG rental cars with DSG when I was working so without telling SWMBO I visited my local Skoda dealer.I drove a 170 DSG estate and I was impressed but could I drive a :giggle: Skoda - I did and I loved it!

Some work would be needed on SWMBO - not too much as it happened. She could see the logic of such a big good value car with the JD Power results backing up the quality.

To our joint spec she added that the car had to be a nice colour and, on sitting in an Elegance, not black trim! We looked at an amethyst purple L & K estate - she drove it and loved it - I sat in the back. After the drive I was amazed that it was a 140 (I drove a 170) and 4wd. We tried to get a bigger reduction than was offered but decided overnight that the price was OK for a 6 month old L&K with extras (keyless entry and other bits & pieces) so paid up.

I've gone in a circle - I fancied an A6 allroad - but ruled it out and next week I'll have a big 4wd estate with a better gearbox, more toys and lower insurance and VED whoo hoo - can't wait for the DVLA to transfer my private plate.

I'll get back with my impressions as an owner soon.

Huw

I have considered Passat CC and Audi A4 (A6 financally out of range). The other cars - manufactures, I simply don´t find handsome at design for me. Sitting in CC - as I like it from outside, I don´t like from inside. Somehow dingy, don´t like the dashboard, handles, design and so on. A4 - bit better at design, but definitely smaller than CC inside. I didn´t feel comfortable much.

And of course prices. Estate in elegance - comparable equipment I got Superb 10k € less the two above.

Edited by Kazimir80