What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

jonny boy

My daily pet hate - people trundling down a slip road at 30-40 mph, often stopping near the bottom.

I can't understand why people do this?  Its normally when the motorway is clear as well...

My guess is lack of clue. 

I mean, I can arrive at the separator markings on most slips doing within 5mph of the ruling traffic speed in the LH lane and do not catagorise myself as a "good driver".

The A420 Shrivenham bypass in Oxfordshire. Ridden with pot holes and the council are delaying doing anything about it as they plan to resurface it in 2014. It is a major trunk road for traffic for Swindon to oxford traffic! It's the worst road ever.

Also sneezing when driving is annoying, you know it's coming bit nothing you can do to stop it!

Driving a new transit with something called lightfoot installed in it. It moniters how much throttle you are using and gives a readout next to the speedo telling you how economically you are driving. It bongs at you when the shift light comes on in the van and if you don't change up right away it says (yes it speaks) first warning and tells you to drive more economically. I'm not too sure what happens after the first warning but aparently all of the journeys are logged so only time will tell if I get pulled in to someones office since I spent most of the time in town getting first warnings. It is so sensitive that if I drove to what it was saying and didn't go in to the amber section at all in town then I would have had a massive line of cars behind me since you can't keep up with the flow of traffic keeping it in the green. I wasn't even ragging the van but it insisted that I was using the accelerator too much. I mean the van's already gps tracked so they can see where you are, how fast you are going and if you have been ragging it round corners since the tracking box has a gyro in it so its not like you can drive like a tool in it anyway (altho some people do try their best to rag them anyway). Talk about big brother watching what you are doing..... All it sucseeded in doing was ****ing me off with all the bongs and warnings it kept on giving me and creating a game for me to work around the system (stick it in 6th as soon as you can and you can use full throttle as much as you want and it rarely goes in to the amber section - god help it if transits have dmf's)

Said system: http://www.ashwoodslightfoot.co.uk/

Might interest BossFox for his vans?

Driving a new transit with something called lightfoot installed in it. It moniters how much throttle you are using and gives a readout next to the speedo telling you how economically you are driving. It bongs at you when the shift light comes on in the van and if you don't change up right away it says (yes it speaks) first warning and tells you to drive more economically. I'm not too sure what happens after the first warning but aparently all of the journeys are logged so only time will tell if I get pulled in to someones office since I spent most of the time in town getting first warnings. It is so sensitive that if I drove to what it was saying and didn't go in to the amber section at all in town then I would have had a massive line of cars behind me since you can't keep up with the flow of traffic keeping it in the green. I wasn't even ragging the van but it insisted that I was using the accelerator too much. I mean the van's already gps tracked so they can see where you are, how fast you are going and if you have been ragging it round corners since the tracking box has a gyro in it so its not like you can drive like a tool in it anyway (altho some people do try their best to rag them anyway). Talk about big brother watching what you are doing..... All it sucseeded in doing was ****ing me off with all the bongs and warnings it kept on giving me and creating a game for me to work around the system (stick it in 6th as soon as you can and you can use full throttle as much as you want and it rarely goes in to the amber section - god help it if transits have dmf's)

Should you report that you had a near miss as a direct result of being distracted by said systems and do so in writing to the man who you know would be the one seeing you if he was ever not happy, cc'ing in your own boss etc too. Then I would doubt you would ever get any grief back. Should any of your colleagues also choose to express their concern in such a way without going over the top, you could create quite the headache on the matter. Should you feel that as a result of the negative feedback you are receiving 'in vehicle', that you must or my not be fully competent. You could also request to be given further training to turn you into some kind of voodoo or Jesus like driving God to be able to keep it at bay (again in writing), when your humoured and/or nothing is done, ignored or told to man up, you have in your possession something that I would liken to a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card for any future grief, having been responsible and fore filled your responsibilities and then it's on someone elses head . :angel:  

• Like 3

The nutcase in the Clubmoore van that overtook a car doing nigh on 40 in a 20 limit with 'tank top' speed bumps and bottlenecks on a residential street and tucking in again before a bus stop where there's usually kids waiting for the bus.

Not the first time I've seen a vehicle doing that on this road but he must be clearly some dumbass to do it in a van with company name written all over it. Unfortunately i didn't get his registration. Think i'll email them.

• Like 2

The nutcase in the Clubmoore van that overtook a car doing nigh on 40 in a 20 limit with 'tank top' speed bumps and bottlenecks on a residential street and tucking in again before a bus stop where there's usually kids waiting for the bus.

Not the first time I've seen a vehicle doing that on this road but he must be clearly some dumbass to do it in a van with company name written all over it. Unfortunately i didn't get his registration. Think i'll email them.

Get a dash cam and get her/him done! 

Should you report that you had a near miss as a direct result of being distracted by said systems and do so in writing to the man who you know would be the one seeing you if he was ever not happy, cc'ing in your own boss etc too. Then I would doubt you would ever get any grief back. Should any of your colleagues also choose to express their concern in such a way without going over the top, you could create quite the headache on the matter. Should you feel that as a result of the negative feedback you are receiving 'in vehicle', that you must or my not be fully competent. You could also request to be given further training to turn you into some kind of voodoo or Jesus like driving God to be able to keep it at bay (again in writing), when your humoured and/or nothing is done, ignored or told to man up, you have in your possession something that I would liken to a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card for any future grief, having been responsible and fore filled your responsibilities and then it's on someone elses head . :angel:  

It's how it's been sold to the employees - sounds like in this case that hasn't been done very well. All of my fleet is covered with telematics which covers 7 areas - accelerate >95%; cruise control; engine idle; green band; harsh braking; over revving; and over speeding. This gives us information on driver behaviour and thus enables us to coach the drivers to improve their individual performance thus improving fuel performance and reducing costs. More importantly it is linked to our driver's bonus scheme - the better they drive, the more bonus they get.

It grades the drivers from G (poor) to A (excellent) - in 2012, 40% of our drivers were in band C. By end of 2013, 50% were in band B - much improved.

Suicidal driver in Disco 4 who overtook a line of traffic behind a bus, 300m from a blind left hand turn and nearly hit the driver turning right across the road into a farm road. He then proceeded to bully his way in to the queue before repeating the move half a mile further on.

5 miles later on I was right behind him so he had in effect risked the lives of 5+ people to overtake one car.

Still on the light topic........tonight i came across 3 different kids on bikes all with no lights on!! one young lass doing her paper round & two lads pretending to be hard by riding in the middle of the road with their hands off the handlebars,all in a rural area with no street lights....do their parents not care about them????  madness!

My idiot colleague who decided to joke around during a routine breathalyser test and ask me, in a way that the cop heard, if he should hide the weed. Prompting a team of five cops to toss the work van and dump its entire contents onto the roadside.  FFS, they opened a battery powered screwdriver to check if we hadn't replaced the batteries with drugs. And then they left us to clean it up. Yeah, good times.

You wouldn't believe how close I was to shoving my chainsaw up his backside. If there is one thing you don't do in this town, its joke about drugs. People have been known to get shot only on suspicion and nothing else. Dumb f***...

• Like 2

My little CRX is a lot lower than most so any misaligned headlights are a nightmare.  Had a twonk behind me tonight with white/blue lights - the one's that aren't supposed to be - for about 6 miles.  Even with my interior mirror flicked up it was still too much.  Sure enough, once on a dual carriageway and he went past, it was an '03 Corsa, wiv a wicked zorst an' a fumpin' bass to drown out the zorst/induction drone.

Irritating more than annoying  :wonder:

Gaz

• Like 1

Had a twonk behind me tonight with white/blue lights - the one's that aren't supposed to be - for about 6 miles. 

This really annoys me,nothing worse than one of these muppets following behind & all you can see in your mirrors are their stupid bright lights as they burn away at your eyes.

• Like 2

Picking up our blood, sweat and tears earned brand new 63 plate car and then having a lorry tyre carcass fly over three lanes at me and under it on the way home from the dealer-destroying the front bumper underside, losing the bumper lower and all the mounts to refit it, smashing a wheel arch liner and the lower edge of the rear bumper as it went under the car-with 70 miles on the clock.

I've had better days  :(

Picking up our blood, sweat and tears earned brand new 63 plate car and then having a lorry tyre carcass fly over three lanes at me and under it on the way home from the dealer-destroying the front bumper underside, losing the bumper lower and all the mounts to refit it, smashing a wheel arch liner and the lower edge of the rear bumper as it went under the car-with 70 miles on the clock.

I've had better days :(

I wish that there was a 'unlike' button for this :(

• Like 2

I would normally at least say something when I handed the van back but lets just say that the less they look at the route taken the better ;) If I'm ever not happy doing something at work I always get top cover either in writing or in front of other people so they can't worm their way out of it so if it does all go tits up then I'm covered. If I ever get a van with it fitted again then I'll send an email to the MT wobbly and express my concerns with the system like when it gives you a warning for not changing up a gear while going round a roundabout. At the end of the day its a eletronic box and its not aware of the traffic conditions so I'd like to see them try to do someone from the data it provides. It can't tell whether its safe or not to do something.

It's how it's been sold to the employees - sounds like in this case that hasn't been done very well. All of my fleet is covered with telematics which covers 7 areas - accelerate >95%; cruise control; engine idle; green band; harsh braking; over revving; and over speeding. This gives us information on driver behaviour and thus enables us to coach the drivers to improve their individual performance thus improving fuel performance and reducing costs. More importantly it is linked to our driver's bonus scheme - the better they drive, the more bonus they get.

It grades the drivers from G (poor) to A (excellent) - in 2012, 40% of our drivers were in band C. By end of 2013, 50% were in band B - much improved.

The first that I was aware of it was when I jumped in said van, started driving and it bonged at me and started giving me warnings. We've not been told anything about the system. It could have just be set up too sensitively.

This annoyed me. Is it really that hard to park between two white lines?.

To quote Peter Griffin, that really grinds my gears.

You know those ads for 500 free business cards: 

punishing-bad-parking-jobs.jpg

• Like 1

although you may not agree with this, it's usually because when the driver of this car has parked correctly between the lines some scroat has parked o close to him he couldn't get in or he has had his car side scratched by opening the opposite cars door,unfortunately for him it does not work they still park on top of you.If everybody parked correctly which they never do this would not happen.

We have all done this parked your new pride and joy in the farthest empty space miles from the store you come back and some old shed is parked 2inches from you with a load of kids and a pram.

• Like 1