New sensor, but still 16725 code and engine management light

Hi All,

Please help, this is driving me crazy. I have a Fabia MPI 8v 1.4 with a fault code 16725 (Camshaft Pos.Sensor Circ Range/Performance)and an engine management light illuminated. I have replaced the camshaft sensor, cleared the error log, but the fault code comes back as soon as I start the car and the engine management light comes on soon after that. Car drives great otherwise, but the big yellow engine management light is really annoying me (I want to sell the car soon and people assume the car is about to explode if the light is on!)

Thanks,

P

Edited by Phil_Fabia

I have come across this once before. Has your engine become rattly? have you had a cam-chain replaced recently? if the sensors reading wrong then it will bring up the fault and if you have already replaced it i would hazard a guess at cam timing. talk to a dealer. I do believe there was a technical update on these chains including superceeded chain and tensioners!

Thanks for the reply. No rattles, but the previous owner changed the chain (garage did it), but the light didn't come on until 6 months later.

If I took it to a garage would they have to replace the chain again or can they adjust it?

• 2 years later...

Similar issue on my 1.2 3 cylinder 54 plate Fabia

The engine management light started to come on with no obvious performance issues and using a reader the code was 16725.Cam sensor.

I cleared it and it ran as before but the light and fault code would pop up again from time to time.

The cam chain then started to sound noisy and it transpired the plastic chain guide had broken.

So...new cam chain and sprockets fitted using cam locking tools and crank tool ..all timed up correct so fired up.

Ran ok for a short while then misfired.

Renewed all three coil packs and plugs as well as cam sensor and again it ran well at times but 16725 pops up again with the warning light. 

Strange thing is however it goes into limp mode intermittantly sometimes when the fault appears and even if the warning light isnt on !

Question...could the crank sensor, or any other sensor ( one that fits near flywheel at rear of block) have any influence or any other issue ?

Running out of ideas folks...any clues on voltages to check etc.

And finally ...sorry to go on a brief issue with fault code 17759 showing up but it appeared only once, was cleared and hasn't come back.

Are you sure there's no typo in the 17759 code? In a listing of fault codes that I have for the 1.2 engines, this number is completely missing. Which code reader are you using?

The only other comment I would make is that the "one that fits near flywheel at rear of block" is the crank sensor, AFAIK. That's the one that comes out to fit the locking tool during chain work.

I presume you've been here? Checking of the wiring seems to be the only one you haven't covered (unless you have?).