2012 S4 avant

Nicky boy

I'm sort of sad to hear that. As an owner you are obviously right and I kind of know it myself but don't want to hear it because I want one! At the moment I am content with the S4 anyway.

However a GTR is something I really want as like a pipe dream.

However a GTR is something I really want as like a pipe dream.

It was for me too, I thought about it and struggled with justifying the cost for six months before taking the plunge.

It's a great car to look at, dream about and experience. But it's made by a company that does not have good enough customer service and parts back up in place.

And the GT-R tax on everything gets tiresome.

I don't like walking into Nissan and being quoted £3225 for a set of tyres, then having to argue and end up paying £1950. Baring in mind this is a main dealer.

Because then I know they were trying to screw me over because they see the car you drive and the little pound signs start revolving in their eyes.

That's more than 50% free cash they were trying to squeeze out of a customer.

No it's fine, I'm very interested in the GTR so it's good to hear about it. I think I'd need to double my salary to afford a GTR to be honest.

Have you written down anywhere what it costs to run one for say 5000 miles a year? Be interested to hear how savage it is and to hopefully put me off.

From the other forum, based on a MY10 like mine.

Year 1, 6000 miles. £473 for 2 x services + Insurance

Year 2, 12000 miles. £1000 for 2x services + £1400 for tyres + £460 tax = £2,860 + Insurance

Year 3, 18000 miles. £900 for 2x services + £460 tax = £1,360 + Insurance

Year 4, 24000 miles. £600 for 2x services + Alcon discs and brake pads £2500 + £460 tax + £1,400 tyres = £4,960 + Insurance

This is pretty much the cheapest way to do it, using the not as good Bridgestone tyres.

You are looking at 10k per 4 years if everthing is like new when you get it. If not the big bills arrive sooner.

Factor in depreciation and fuel for 5000/6000 miles per year and you are looking around £600 per month + insurance.

Insurance will be £1000-£1400(ish) if you are not a bad risk, which bumps it up to £700

Then an extra £100 per month if you want a warranty incase something goes wrong.

They are reliable, but parts can be very expensive. So for complete peace of mind I wouldn't consider it unless you can justify £800 per month + 30k to 40k on the car in the first place.

The main consideration when buying second hand (apart from good condition and service history) is that the break pads, discs and tyres are in good nick and ideally just been replaced. Otherwise you'll get a £4k bill quite soon after purchase.

Quite a few people buy on finance so it's no great surprise to see them costing owners very close to £1000 per month (by the time you factor in finance charges) over the time they own the car. Particularly if they can't afford to actually buy the car on HP because they repayments are too high, so they go the balloon route, which has much higher charges but lower repayments.

But to answer the question, you need to have a clear £800 per month to spend on a car for occasional use if you are seriously thinking of taking one on, by the time you factor in depreciation.

This gives you a little spare for the odd unexpected cost or a warranty on an older one.

Less than this and it's going to become a financial burden when the maintenence costs start to add up...

Of course, this is all my opinion though. And it doesn't include buying it or capital on the repayments.

• Like 2

What price did you pay for the S4 if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to decide between the S4 and the S5 at the moment -

Have you got used to the start/stop yet? How about the hill hold?

How old are you also if you don't mind me asking?

I think 37 I paid as I added some options.

Hill hold is truly amazing and for £65 is a must have option. Start stop is great in traffic. You just need to get used to how much pressure you need to put on the brake pedal to activate it. Only took me a few days.

I am 26 by the way. 3 years out of uni.

I would highly recommend either as they are essentially the same.

• Like 1

From the other forum, based on a MY10 like mine.

Year 1, 6000 miles. £473 for 2 x services + Insurance

Year 2, 12000 miles. £1000 for 2x services + £1400 for tyres + £460 tax = £2,860 + Insurance

Year 3, 18000 miles. £900 for 2x services + £460 tax = £1,360 + Insurance

Year 4, 24000 miles. £600 for 2x services + Alcon discs and brake pads £2500 + £460 tax + £1,400 tyres = £4,960 + Insurance

This is pretty much the cheapest way to do it, using the not as good Bridgestone tyres.

You are looking at 10k per 4 years if everthing is like new when you get it. If not the big bills arrive sooner.

Factor in depreciation and fuel for 5000/6000 miles per year and you are looking around £600 per month + insurance.

Insurance will be £1000-£1400(ish) if you are not a bad risk, which bumps it up to £700

Then an extra £100 per month if you want a warranty incase something goes wrong.

They are reliable, but parts can be very expensive. So for complete peace of mind I wouldn't consider it unless you can justify £800 per month + 30k to 40k on the car in the first place.

The main consideration when buying second hand (apart from good condition and service history) is that the break pads, discs and tyres are in good nick and ideally just been replaced. Otherwise you'll get a £4k bill quite soon after purchase.

Quite a few people buy on finance so it's no great surprise to see them costing owners very close to £1000 per month (by the time you factor in finance charges) over the time they own the car. Particularly if they can't afford to actually buy the car on HP because they repayments are too high, so they go the balloon route, which has much higher charges but lower repayments.

But to answer the question, you need to have a clear £800 per month to spend on a car for occasional use if you are seriously thinking of taking one on, by the time you factor in depreciation.

This gives you a little spare for the odd unexpected cost or a warranty on an older one.

Less than this and it's going to become a financial burden when the maintenence costs start to add up...

Of course, this is all my opinion though. And it doesn't include buying it or capital on the repayments.

Great write up there mate, nice to see some truthful running costs instead of B.S from someone who has borrowed to the hilt to run a decent car and won't give you facts.

I love the GTRs but it doesn't suit my needs at the moment - if only they did an estate!!!!

Hill hold is truly amazing and for £65 is a must have option. Start stop is great in traffic. You just need to get used to how much pressure you need to put on the brake pedal to activate it. Only took me a few days.

I didn't get the hill hold but haven't had any issues on hills.......yet!

So me being 23/24 and just out of uni is going to be 'interesting' for insurance :happy:

Many thanks for getting back to me. I guess the only real way is for me to test drive them both and see which I like the best.

So me being 23/24 and just out of uni is going to be 'interesting' for insurance :happy:

Many thanks for getting back to me. I guess the only real way is for me to test drive them both and see which I like the best.

My insurance is pretty cheap with 3 years no claims. Got £1185, maybe I already mentioned this actually.

To be honest get what suits your needs in terms of seats really. I am biased but think the S4 is the best looking closely followed by the S5. Black editions though.

I do know that the interest has gone up on the repayments and the Audi contribution has gone down. I think they lowered the A/S4 deal to the same as the existing A/S5 deal.

It's now time for me to invest my spare cash into my property as the car was a very extravagant purchase. I just f*ck it I'm still young and I've got a mortgage and gone through the first of a few big expenses with the little one.

Sensible Nick for a few years now. I hope!

Let me know what you think to the test drives.

I didn't get the hill hold but haven't had any issues on hills.......yet!

I guess it just means you either hold the foot brake or use the 'P' switch right?

I just like how I can put the brake on then let go and magic the car doesn't move then a tap of the accelerator and I'm rolling again. Simple things and all that . . .

How's the drive select?

My insurance is pretty cheap with 3 years no claims. Got £1185, maybe I already mentioned this actually.

To be honest get what suits your needs in terms of seats really. I am biased but think the S4 is the best looking closely followed by the S5. Black editions though.

I do know that the interest has gone up on the repayments and the Audi contribution has gone down. I think they lowered the A/S4 deal to the same as the existing A/S5 deal.

It's now time for me to invest my spare cash into my property as the car was a very extravagant purchase. I just f*ck it I'm still young and I've got a mortgage and gone through the first of a few big expenses with the little one.

Sensible Nick for a few years now. I hope!

Let me know what you think to the test drives.

I have done it the otherway around. I have the property, it's now time to shell out on the car.

It will be interesting quote wise as I have 6 years NCB as I haven't ever made a claim since I passed my test. You did already mention it, I just wanted to figure out how many NCB you had and your age to compare before I go mad trying to get cover.

I have to agree with you also, the black editions are by far the best.

Although the titanium rims on the black edition are becoming way too common which is sort of annoying. Maybe the RS6 wheels you can get instead would look a bit different and still look awesome.

• Like 1

I have the house, just need to pay it off quicker!

I've just finished paying for our house this year, so very happy. I would recommend The ONE account if your serious about early repayments. I repaid our 20 year mortgage in 7 years and saved a small fortune.

Back on topic, I made it no secret I was going to a bit extravagant this / next year (see last para for reason why!), my favourite being the GTR. I must admit after reading Richards reasons for selling I am now doubting whether this is the best choice and maybe look at S4/5 even RS6. Not so much purely on cost, but practically it is a very expensive one trick pony, and as a family we only have one car and this is unlikely to change.

Just a quicky, Longdog - have you played with the Drive Select yet?

• Like 2

As an alternative to the s4, I have driven an a6 avant recently, which completely blew me away....... Spec as follows.. New shape, a6 avant, s-line Black edition , auto diesel . And this is the really clever bit, and you have to drive it to appreciate it.

3.0. V6 diesel 313 bhp. The drive and sound is awesome....... And yes I've driven all the Audi rs's. But then again I am getting a bit older....... He he.

Great write up there mate, nice to see some truthful running costs instead of B.S from someone who has borrowed to the hilt to run a decent car and won't give you facts.

I love the GTRs but it doesn't suit my needs at the moment - if only they did an estate!!!!

Thanks.

I've seen quite a few bought on PCP/Balloon deals, some of them reaching a bit too far to realise the dream.

They shove in a £15k-£20k deposit, make the monthly payments and then struggle with the maintenence later on and sell.

Then they are left with far less cash than they put in as a deposit and no car.

Not all of course, but it does explain why some have had quite a few owners.

The running costs do come as a shock to people that have not found the GTR forum. I mean you wouldn't expect Nissan to want around £5k for brakes and tyres with a bit of haggling, and it's not the kind of thing you usually check before buying a car.

Having said that though, a lot are bought for cash and just locked away and hardly ever seem to be used.

They certainly attract a wide variety of owners.

The new Audi 313bhp diesel sounds like a beast. :)

I wonder if it'd fit in the Yeti. :rofl:

What price did you pay for the S4 if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to decide between the S4 and the S5 at the moment

Not driven the S4, but the S5 was a big disappointment - hugely powerful engine but controls lacked the finesse and feel to make it pleasurable to drive. If it was my money I'd be looking at the 335i... :D

Chris

Not driven the S4, but the S5 was a big disappointment - hugely powerful engine but controls lacked the finesse and feel to make it pleasurable to drive. If it was my money I'd be looking at the 335i... :D

Chris

With that interior?

My guess is you drove the 4.2, it disappointed me also. The 3.0T is a different car and much nicer to drive.

My guess is you drove the 4.2, it disappointed me also. The 3.0T is a different car and much nicer to drive.

That's a shame - the engine was the only thing I really liked about driving one! :rofl:

Chris

Just to answer a couple of posts, the drive select i have adjusts the dampers, throttle response, gear changes and also the sports diff (you can see the car lowering and rising when you toggle through the settings). I'm very pleased with it and in dynamic mode the whole car firms up, gears are held until the red line and you can feel the diff working when giving it some through tight bends, while at the other end of the scale in ECO mode you're in 7th gear at 30mph - I tried this once! I've only put 300 miles on the car so far so have been taking it pretty easy but as a complete car I would recommend one, I've driven 2 without the drive select and the diff and I would still be happy to buy one without them on.

Chris - I had a V8 S4 prior to my Octy and like you I loved the engine but the new S4 is a totally different car to the S5, I'd recommend taking out a new saloon for an hour or so and you'll notice a big difference - Lighter, faster, more agile and also has a better interior (have a read of EVOs RS5 review which compares it to the S4 avant camera car - very interesting). I toyed with getting a 2 year old RS6 but due to it's sheer size and running costs I put my money on the new S4, the RS6 is a straight line monster but not as good when it comes to corners and stopping.