Urban model and lack of ESP

weyland

Just trying to figure out how much of a faux pas this is to have omitted ESP and not allow and factory options to be ordered. Most cars that I have had in the past 10 years have had this fitted, although I'm unsure if I have every had to rely on it to date. However I tempted by the 1.2TSI Urban and am suprised this comes without ESP (especially as it is aimed at younger drivers). The car will be my commuting car (in heavy traffic) so not so much of an issue there, but it will also be my family car.

Lack of ESP is a big stumbling block for me due to the safety aspect, however it is big enough to justify not buying the vehicle? What are other peoples thoughts...

I would not buy a car withour ESP. Particularly a tall one with a higher centre of gravity like a Yeti.

It should be standard. Which I believe the EU are bringing in as a rule soon.

I've just ordered a Yeti and I was on a fairly tight budget. It was either mettalic paint or ESP. A no brainer really, I may never need ESP but the one time I do, it could make the difference between life and death.

Exactly - so why bring out a car without. It's either very arrogant or very foolish of Skoda. I wonder how many people will order assuming that this is standard equipment (as it is with most others vehicles). The Urban is not exactly entry level!

Why is it arrogant of Skoda?

I suspect that 90% of Skodas customers won't know what ESP is or does, and won't care. They will probably think it is extra-sensory perception!

I've driven Freelanders for 6 years, they didn't have ESP and it didn't bother me.

Arrogant in thinking that they can get away without fitting it as standard, or that the Yeti does not need it. People may not know what it is, but many will have read about on board electronics that help recover a vehicle in the event it understeers or skids, and I would think that most will think that a brand new vehicle would have up to date safety aids on board. The motoring press also seems to take a dim view of vehicles that don't have safety aids such as this fitted, so should Skoda, a large company whoch constantly win all the car awards going be fitting this as standard?

I don't like ESP when I am on the racetrack, but I would prefer to have it on my family car! It just seems dissapointing to me that it is not availble on this model

It's down too SUK not spec'ing it rather than Skoda Auto not offering it (sales bling over safety again). Had noticed news of one or two Yeti's coming off the road in bad weather, intrestingly they were 2wd S models, presumably without optional ESP. Read into that what you will :wonder:

TP

From a personal point of view, and with 3 boys I would ignore the 'bling' (cheers TP) and ad ESP to an SE, or any model in fact, if I was buying one.

As mentioned by BossFox I do believe it is going to be mandatory on all cars, BUT when is a different matter entirely.

I hate to play Devils advocate,but......

According to the latest Yeti Brochure (effective march 2012)

Every Yeti ,with the exception of the very base model E, has ESP fitted as standard.

That includes the Urban. :yes:

Does the latest brochure feature the Urban? I have spoken to a couple of dealers (4 actually!) and all are under the opinion that the car does not have ESP. On a different note none can get a TSI in white either :sweat:

Does the latest brochure feature the Urban? I have spoken to a couple of dealers (4 actually!) and all are under the opinion that the car does not have ESP. On a different note none can get a TSI in white either :sweat:

Yes the new brochure does feature the Urban on pages 16-17.

It lists the additonal: " Standard Equipment(over SE)".Just a small list of the additions over SE spec.

I'm assuming that the SE spec includes ESP because it is certainly specified on the S spec on page 13.

Quick Edit:

To quote the S standard equipment:

ESP inc,ABS +EBD+EBC+ASR

+EDL+HBA+DSR+ESBS

(Greenline II model only).

Then in the adjacent paragraph it states:

YETI S GREENLINE II,HAS THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL FEATURES

.ESP,incl.ABS. EBV. MSR. ASR. EDS.

MBA and DSR

I hope that clears everything up,because my Brain hurts now. :sweat:

I think this is down to the confusing brochure - despite there being a specific greenline section to the right of the spec list (which states ESP on greenline), Skoda have decided to include ESP in the main equipment list, however in the online brochure underneath ESP it states greenline II only in brackets. Does yours show this?

Don't get me wrong - I would love it if it did have it!!!

Yes the new brochure does feature the Urban on pages 16-17.

It lists the additonal: " Standard Equipment(over SE)".Just a small list of the additions over SE spec.

I'm assuming that the SE spec includes ESP because it is certainly specified on the S spec on page 13.

Just had a look at the latest brochure; much improved over the early efforts but ESP is only standard if you go GreenLine it states :thumbdown:

Nice to see the coloured roof option has made it at last but no GreenTech models or option to ditch the sports wheels fom the SE or Elegance :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Oh odd thing they have seperated the 2wd specifications from the 4x4 :wonder:

TP

I want to know who designs and words these brochures, I've got to look at these every day and it pains me.

As mentioned, ESP is standard on Greenline models only.

Why they would put ESP in the main spec then put brackets round it, then copy and paste it on to the right hand side of the page under 'Greenline' is totally beyond me, and this WILL throw some customers (but not you knowledgable folk) in to thinking it is standard - I've had the experience of it.

Minor rant over :)

Mercedes have claimed a while ago that more lives have been saved by ESP (by preventing accidents) than have been saved by airbags (that only react after the accident had already happened). Most people will never even know how many times ESP saved their bacon as it is such an unobtrusive system. Without it I will never want to be, no.

It is an impressive system. I've had mine activate a few times and it does level the car and keep in controllable very well.

If you you go into a corner way too fast and jump off the throttle to try and induce oversteer you can feel it brake the inside rear wheel.

(and before all the moaners comment I have used private driver training facilities on numerous occasions, mainly Millbrooke and Bruntingthorpe)

• Like 1

Hi all, this is my first post as I am very close to purchasing a Yeti Urban in Brilliant Silver. My first job was to do plenty of research that let me to discovering this forum to learn of the Yeti. During my research the 'ESP on an Urban' subject popped up so I had to ask the dealer ASAP.

Like Joe-public, the dealer was also very confused with the literature in the new Yeti brochure, however, he determined that the Urban they have in stock has ESP as determined by the 'ASR OFF' button on the dash placed just below the climate control settings. Now my question to you guys that have Yeti's is, is this factually correct or is my local dealer-type-guy just talking rubbish!

Do Yeti's with ESP have ASR as part of the package or is button as standard?

Thank you in advance and also 'Hello' from me!

Pic of the Urban Dash with said button circled.

DSCF0865-1.jpg

And the car in question.

IMG_1137.jpg

Just trying to figure out how much of a faux pas this is to have omitted ESP and not allow and factory options to be ordered. Most cars that I have had in the past 10 years have had this fitted, although I'm unsure if I have every had to rely on it to date. However I tempted by the 1.2TSI Urban and am suprised this comes without ESP (especially as it is aimed at younger drivers). The car will be my commuting car (in heavy traffic) so not so much of an issue there, but it will also be my family car.

Lack of ESP is a big stumbling block for me due to the safety aspect, however it is big enough to justify not buying the vehicle? What are other peoples thoughts...

Nice car that! Love the silver and those wheels.

ASR stands for Anti Slip Regulation. So alas has naught to do with ESP - apart from also using the ABS sensors to measure slippage. This just stops the wheels spinning when you put on too much power. Switching it off allows some spin when in snow or things like that.

ESP has far more bits to it including yaw sensors to determine in which direction the car might be going faster than it should so that the system can brake the opposite wheel.