Alloy wheels are less safe

1.4tsi

tread pattern is the name given to the 'grooves' or pattern in the tyre grip area.

Yes, that's the type of response I should have expected on a thread like this. Title is still wrong by the way.

I was going to go into more detail, but couldn't be bothered as we are going round in circles, or delete the post as it had already been entered.

On a day like today were it is p33ing down,

i will take Peter Picanto out everytime,

thats because it does not Aquaplane & handles great on wet roads with its 14" snow tyres that stay on all year.

That is even in preference to a 4x4 on a set on 235/80/16 tyres, just that the Picanto does not like wading quite so much..

george

do they wear ok when used in summer? I know this practice is very common in Czech and Slovakia.

Spot on. My first car was an old Civic with 155/70/R13 tyres and it had more grip in the wet than any other car I've owned since (which have all had wider tyres).

It will.

My first car was a Vx Astra with the same tyres (might have been 155/60/R14 I can't remember). It was also shod on sme of the cheapest rubber I could get that wasn't a remould. It was shocking on everything but snow. I had understeer down to a fine art (didn't help that the rear brakes weren't working).

It was unstoppable on snow. the cheap hard rubber dug in like crampons.

My argument being it's more than the size. Doesn't matter the size of the tyre if the conpund is useless.

I have always kept Snow tyres on all year,

but they dont do many miles maybe 5000 a year, and its always in the rain, but been on for 6 years now with that set.

The 110 was a 4.6 RPI V8 Auto on LPG , i sold it and the guy has broken it.

http://www.v8engines.com

(in the Gallery)

Replaced with a 5.2 TVR engined 90 as a tow barge. no pictures yet as still painting Orange.

To tow this.

Edited by sk4gw

Spot on. My first car was an old Civic with 155/70/R13 tyres and it had more grip in the wet than any other car I've owned since (which have all had wider tyres).

My first car was a skoda favorit with something like 155 tyres on and it used to skid a lot more than the 205's I have on my laguna now.

I think you are mixing two different things - alloy wheels vs. tyre/wheel size.

I've got standard size alloys on my Octy and there's no difference between them and steel ones.

If you have an Octavia, these would be the standard Pyxis 205/60 15" alloys with a 205 width?

These are the same width as the standard Avantguard 195/65 15 steel which are 195 width???

Part of the reason I am posting this is because, worryingly, you and rob_e appear not have even known you had wider tyres.....

My first car was a Vx Astra with the same tyres (might have been 155/60/R14 I can't remember). It was also shod on sme of the cheapest rubber I could get that wasn't a remould. It was shocking on everything but snow. I had understeer down to a fine art (didn't help that the rear brakes weren't working).

It was unstoppable on snow. the cheap hard rubber dug in like crampons.

My argument being it's more than the size. Doesn't matter the size of the tyre if the conpund is useless.

Yep, the Civic had ditchfinder budget tyres on when I got it which were just awful in all conditions. With Michelin Energys on it was great in all conditions. On this same car I put some 15" alloys on with 195/55/15 tyres and it had more grip in the dry (as you'd expect) but less in the wet. Granted I didn't have the exact same model of tyre on the 15" wheels but I'm certain the result would've been the same if I had the same Michelin tyres on both sets of wheels.

My first car was a skoda favorit with something like 155 tyres on and it used to skid a lot more than the 205's I have on my laguna now.

See above - probably due to the make/model of the tyres.

Edit: but yes as someone has pointed out it comes down to narrower tyres having better resistance to aquaplaning.

Edited by vrsTom

Yep, the Civic had ditchfinder budget tyres on when I got it which were just awful in all conditions. With Michelin Energys on it was great in all conditions. On this same car I put some 15" alloys on with 195/55/15 tyres and it had more grip in the dry (as you'd expect) but less in the wet. Granted I didn't have the exact same model of tyre on the 15" wheels but I'm certain the result would've been the same if I had the same Michelin tyres on both sets of wheels.

See above - probably due to the make/model of the tyres.

Edit: but yes as someone has pointed out it comes down to narrower tyres having better resistance to aquaplaning.

Still think its a load of tosh to be honest. If you had the same car with the same tyres ie P zeros in 165 and 205 the 205 will perform better in wet in dry. When you talk about aqua planing that's in flood conditions with standing water on road surfaces so if you slow down you shouldn't aqua plane, I don't know if I've been lucky or not but I've only aqua planed once or twice in the last 10 years.

• Like 1

That sounds totally correct,

however i know of 2 places i would not get caught out, but somebody that does not know the areas can and do.

(i know of many more, but these ones make me really look out when i know there has been rain recently)

Past Stonehaven going to Aberdeen, (Muckles) the rain could have been off for long enough maybe it was the day before then there has been a little bit of rain that day and you are on a Dual Carraigeway at 70 in dry conditions and you can hit a sheet of water crossing the carraigway.

Been that way for years.

The other spot is actually going up a carraigway with miles of a straight, passed the Stirling Services Glasgow bound and the water is right across the road just where the surfaces change and its almost impossible to see..

Even careful drivers get caught out and it is a scary thing to see if you know its coming up and some X5 or similar barrels passed you at 80 plus, and you know what may happen.

Often there is no problem with the big heavy car, different story sometimes when its a lowered and wide wheel Saxo.

The thing about accidents are they are not planned. Just as aqua planing is hardly expected.

Obviously there are just d1ck5 that are clueless.

george

You'll only aquaplane if you drive like a ***** in heavy rain/standing water. Hardly an argument to all fit 165 tyres!

or a puddle on a fast road......

While driving like an idiot........

How is driving though a puddle on a motorway driving like an idiot? What do you propose? Swerve or stop?

How is doing 60mph on a 60mph road driving like an idiot?

Well driving at 60mph into standing water (aka puddle) is driving like an idiot to me, I slow down when driving into puddles.

Zzzzzz, someone waken me if this thread ever comes to some conclusion.

Ok, no one raised any objections against any of the points other than wider tyres may be better in the wet although, not everyone agrees with that.

Cheers end of.

Ok, no one was able to provide any evidence against any of the points other than wider tyres may be better in the wet although, not everyone agrees with that.

Cheers end of.

Likewise no one can provide any evidence to suggest narrow tyres are better.

• Like 1