New Yeti Rival - Ford Ecosport

My_Yeti

Like the Vauxhall Mokka (based on the Corsa), the Ecosport is based on the Fiesta, production version unveiled in Beijing Motor Show.

http://www.autoblog....eiled-in-china/

or http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/ford-ecosport-due-in-2015/262393

I don't understand why WhatCar constantly compares the Yeti to the likes of Juke, Mokka and Ecosport, it's natural competitor is the Qashqai.

Edited by My_Yeti

Can cars take steroids? If so that Fiesta has been hitting them hard :D

Not for me thanks. And I agree with My_Yeti about WhatCar? the natural competitor is the Qashqai, not it's VERY ugly brother - which I thought fell in to the category of COMPACT SUV?! The Yeti is by no means compact unless you sit in the boot with a spare wheel :giggle:

Hmm - not my cup of tea

Firstly its chuffin ugly

Secondly its a Ford

Quite agree - amazing how some car designers go and beat their designs to death with the ugly stick. The nose on this looks like it carries some really tall engine - maybe a giant flywheel? Perhaps it looks better in the flesh, but given these are publicity photos (ie designed to look its best), I doubt it!

As to "why is this etc compared to a Yeti" - the Yeti is a nice clean design which is proving very popular, and the other manufacturers must be aspiring to beat it. And so far, failing miserably. Ford, Nissan etc must be hoping Skoda screw up the next facelift to level the playing field a little!

This car is for developing markets only... so don't fret. It was designed in South America to go on sale there, China and places like that. So our eyes will be ok. Uglier than this you won't easily get with a car in my view.

Dashboards in fords are mostly ugly and it's usually the interior that puts me off them, but the dash on that one looks like a 5 year old with a passion for space ships designed it.

The car itself I don't think is bad at all. Just a small kuga.

....it's natural competitor is the Qashqai.

Please forgive me if I disagree, in that this doesn't hold true right across the range? 'My' Yeti (still waaay in the future, admittedly) was in very large part a specification buy:

Auto box essential (the primary reason for the move)

4x4

Diesel

Towing (braked) 2000Kg min

Reliability reputation

Dimensions as small as possible

Budget definitely not unlimited

My search came up with the Yeti. Period. There is no realistic alternative. The Qashqai equivalent auto 4x4 (whatever you think of its looks) has a towing limit of only 1350Kg and a basic price tag some £3K higher - no competition.

Back to the thread - IMHO that Ford shell design is a pig. I believe the recognised forum disclaimer is 'YMMV'.

In the early shots of the SWB Land Rover Defender replacement (the one with a roof, not the strange beech buggy one) it looks remarkably as though it's been modelled on a .......... Yeti!

Now I guess Skoda should take that as quite a compliment!

Auto box essential (the primary reason for the move)

4x4

Diesel

Towing (braked) 2000Kg MAXIMUM

Reliability reputation

Dimensions as small as possible

Budget definitely not unlimited

Please see small correction, above.

That car fell out of the ugly tree and hit every armco covered branch on the way down.

Seriously ... that thing would give Freddy Kreuger nightmares.

Thats one ugly nose job!

I agree with the comment on ford dashboards, I have always found they hurt my eyes, the focus is the worst, very busy. I fact dislike any interior that trys to make a 'statement', must be because I'm into my 30's now, turning into grumpy old man!

Much prefer the smoother lines of VAG (&Skoda) interior.

Off to buy some driving gloves and a wooden bead seat cover.