New to modding a Skoda Fabia VRS

Hi guys.

Just brought a fabia vrs yesterday and im completely newbie to this car. Im thinking of a few modifactions over the next few months, im not looking to go stupidly spending loads, i was just thinking of a few basics so need some advice on what you guys recommend. I know a little about cars so keep it simple and pictures + links would be very helpful.

Mods to do:

1) Performance Panel Air Filter or Induction Kit (Which would be better and why) + (think ive seen an air intake mod from a seat leon ? could someone explain this for me please.)

2) Exhaust system or just a good back box for a nice sound (who would you reccomend)

3) Lowering (whats recommend ?, im not looking to go stupidly low and i do alot of motorway miles, i just want it to sit a little lower.

4) Remap

(Celtic Tuning quoted me £295 inc for a remap and this is what they said.

"The 1.9 TDi engines we can take from 130bhp up to 193bhp and from 228lbft torque up to 309lbft torque giving a very impressive performance gain and all within safe design tolerance of the engine and drive train components. Our ‘fast road’ software is designed to provide linear power delivery without any harshness to the acceleration, the benefit being prolonged life of your clutch and a superior drive over standard. We are also able to provide software aimed specifically at economy and also for track use in various stages."

Now is this is pritty much guaranteed ? and is this purley a remap or is it changing parts aswell ?

Many thanks

Matthew

Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you have a search, there are loads of topics on stuff like this.

Just my 2ps worth :)

1. Unless you're going for big big power, don't bother. The standard paper filter is good for 220+ bhp. Aftermarket panel filters just let in crap and will eventually knacker your turbo.

2. Depends what you want to do. Miltek, Jetex or Blueflame are popular on here, as is just cutting off the backbox and welding in a straight section of pipe.

Again, if you're doing it for power, not really needed as the standard system is good for 220+bhp.

3. Your choice. If you're only after a little drop, then Eibach springs with the standard dampers are a popular choice. Other option is coilovers. Cheap would be JOM coilovers, around £200 from DPM.

4. Absolutely no way will they get 193bhp out of the standard turbo. If they do, it will last 5 minutes, or they have an extremely iffy dyno. Standard turbo will take you up to 175 tops. 193 is pushing even a PD150 turbo, especially if you're still on the standard side mount intercooler. Want any more than that it's time for a hybrid turbo and a front mount intercooler.

Will do a search round cheers, 2 more quick questions.

1) whats the leon intake mod that alot of people have done and what gains ?

2) how much are we looking for a hybrid turbo and a front mount intercooler ?

Thanks for the quick replies

I think you're on about the Ibiza Cupra PD160 air intake.

The air filter is the same, it's just the pipe from the slam panel to the airbox is wider.

It's around £90 new, and not really worth that much.

If you can find one second hand and cheap, probably is as you can always resell it for what you paid for it.

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/pd160-air-intake-fit/

A decent FMIC and pipework is going to be £500+, hybrid turbo about £900, and you'll have to get it mapped as well, so budget at least £1500

Thats the pd160 air intake. Its a must, allows the engine to breathe better would be my first mod imo. And its cheap!!

Hybrids are about 550+ depending where you look. I have one on the ways thats cost me 560 from tdi turbos. Fmic your looking at around 550+ again. forge full kit is 650 iirc.

Theres also the big brake upgrade. I have this too. Drove a standard vrs and the brakes are poop compared to mine, again a cheap mod.

Matt, Softscoop's posts are spot on, good advice there.

There is a tuning box in the For Sale section at the moment (if its still there), which according to some is a decent improvment so it might be worth a look for you.

As Rich says, bigger brakes are a good shout, whether you're upping the power or not. Keep your eyes open for 312mm setups, they bolt straight on and fit under standard alloys- you'll need calipers, carriers, discs and pads. Great mod.

Happy modding.

Right..

1. Would a standard halfords own panel air filter be ok or would i need to get oem one from skoda garage or could i use a aftermarket ones like k and n, green cotton, pipercross ect.. ?

2. If im looking to remap my vrs with a New Panel Filter + PD 160 Intake Mod + Maybe Exaust system or just the backbox for sound, im guessing id have to be careful on what gains i get due to the clutch slipping and damaging the flywheel. If i wanted the best gains from all this would i be better getting a better/upgraded clutch/flywheel and how much would i be looking to for both of them not including labour ?

just so i can add all these stuff up :)

Just stick with the OEM paper filter.

If you can get a PD160 intake cheap, then do that, otherwise don't bother. Not worth it. You could always make a DIY one for about £20.

Just a remap will be fine with the standard clutch and flywheel. Just be careful not to overdo it at low revs and kill the DMF.

if i need to change my oem filter due to being dirty will halford own be ok or should i go to skoda garage ?

When i come to remap the car i dont wana hold back due to the clutch slipping or flywheel being damaged so whats recommend if i wanted to change them or what are the limits i can go without changing them ?

Just get one from your dealer.

About £10 if I remember rightly.

What's the limit on a worn clutch? How long is a piece of string.

Have a search on the topic of clutches.

There are loads and loads containing all the info you'll ever need.

A standard clutch and flywheel should be fine with just a remap.

Just get a standard paper filter from a motor factors or Skoda, you can get it from Halfrauds if you enjoy being ripped off. As has been said about 3 times now, if you fit an aftermarket filter such as K&N, green cotton etc you will just slowly kill your turbo, there are no performance gains to be had unless you are at the extreme end of tuning.

Changing the clutch and swapping to a SMF are expensive jobs, based on the mods you are suggesting the standard parts should be fine so long as you don't go silly below 2,000 rpm. You may wish to limit the torque a little at lower revs, bur to be honest, the secret of a good map is a nice smooth torque curve rather than outright big figures anyway. Ensure you get your car mapped by someone with a good rep, bad maps make for smokey cars and are harder on your engine.

Edited by ckyliu

Ok thanks guys. What do mean about being silly below 2000rpm? Do you mean dont ragg the car silly below that amount but anythink above that should be ok? Of cause i im not going to ragg it everytime i drive but make sure wen i do stick my foot down im above 2000rmp right?

Even before you it's mapped, don't floor it below 2,000 rpm particularly in 5th and 6th because the torque will shag the clutch and DMF.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 28/04/2012 at 11:53, mattsargeant said:

Hi im getting a fabia vrs mk1 soon already own a stock one with zero mods. 

The 2nd one has a hardpipe kit and front mount . But now is ready for a map..im thinking around 175 bhp purely for reliability ? Anyone running more than that ? Will need egr delete too unless it was done as darkside did the f mount and pipes...

4 hours ago, Sleeper200 said:

Hi im getting a fabia vrs mk1 soon already own a stock one with zero mods. 

The 2nd one has a hardpipe kit and front mount . But now is ready for a map..im thinking around 175 bhp purely for reliability ? Anyone running more than that ? Will need egr delete too unless it was done as darkside did the f mount and pipes...

Yeah, so this thread is SIX years old and it really stinks, so just start a new topic with sensible questions.

6 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Yes, don't be so damned touchy, it's standard forum etiquette, not a personal criticism!

B.s control freak get off this forum ! Freaks like you need the freak forum not this site you clearly got lost didnt you! Pal!

• Like 2

It would probably help you to make a new forum topic as the one you are asking questions on is long outdated.

I wouldn't be running 175 on a standard turbo. But as sep says its a bit of a stupid question asking what specific power you should get. All cars are slightly different, as are dynos, and torque is far more relavent anyway as how often do you spend at 4k+ revs in a diesel. A good mapper will take into account the mods and the condition of the other components, clutch, turbo etc and be able to do you a map to suit. Expect to pay a fair amount for a decent rolling road remap and not just a generic flash map which wont do you any favours.

How can it be remotly stupid? If i was stupid i would set it up at 175 on a stock turbo and kill the turbo in no tike..stupid people ask no questions and in doing so remain stupid until the end of time...stupid people call people stupid and thats another story . Talking cars here stop getting personal or is this a german car thing correct me if i am wrong...

2 hours ago, Sleeper200 said:

B.s control freak get off this forum ! Freaks like you need the freak forum not this site you clearly got lost didnt you! Pal!

You're a bit new and a bit angry, you're angry because you completely misunderstood what I meant.

21 minutes ago, Sleeper200 said:

How can it be remotly stupid? If i was stupid i would set it up at 175 on a stock turbo and kill the turbo in no tike..stupid people ask no questions and in doing so remain stupid until the end of time...stupid people call people stupid and thats another story . Talking cars here stop getting personal or is this a german car thing correct me if i am wrong...

You're wrong, start a new topic to find out why, this one belongs to someone else and is too old.

When you make a mistake it's best not to double down on it.