Blown turbo? 1.4 tsi common?

I have just over a one year old Octy DSG 1.4tsi 23000 miles, I was driving a twisty b- road yesterday and had to stop for a level crossing, as I pulled away the acceleration died, literally it was like driving a 900cc car or something, ok up to about 25mph then struggled and joining dual carriageway is scary, I limped the car to Skoda Bedford, who were excellent and took it in and hired me a replacement car ( a diesel avensis- not as nice to drive as the Octy ) the car revved but just had no power, everything else worked fine except the DSG would not knockdown readily. No warning lights or anything.

Any ideas? I used the search box on this site but did not find anything about petrol turbo's going, is it common/well known fault?

Cheers for any help

As nice to drive as the 1.2 & 1.4 TSI'S are i do wonder if they are up to the job of producing all that power & staying reliable. It is a little turbo engine to lug a yeti or octy around. Good job yours is under warrenty,hopefully it hasnt done any more damage than just the turbo.

Putting Polo/Fabia engines on Octy seems very silly from VW. This car needs a 1.8/2.0 at minimum to pull it's legs.

Hope you get sorted it quickly.

Edited by CEPi

its feel like it has more then enough powerful for everyday use, i have the 1.2tsi with dsg and it keeps up with normal traffic and a bit more and engine never needs to rev over 2500 revs

• Like 1

Dont think it was the turbo that went - that would have seen much noise/smoke etc but rather the wastegate actuator probably packed in. The wastegate is operated by an electric motor - one of the innovations introduced on the Tsi engines, and it seems VAG suppliers are still trying to get it right. The 1.2 TSi apparently is on its 3rd design and still they need a recall to fit a shim.....The problem is the wastegate actuator cant be replaced by itself, it requires the complete turbo to be changed, but fortunately its on the right side of the engine (the front) and I presume is easy to change.

Eventually VAG will sort it, hopefully 99% of owners will not have a problem (i.e. out of warranty). The 1.2/1.4 Tsi engines themselves are fine and the way of the future. The 1.8Tsi IIRC has had far more problems with its VVT mech.

I can only tell you that many, many 1.4tsi owners, specially VW Scirroco and Golf are all having troubles.

The 160hp models, even engines are changed with 30-40k

Like Tony2311 I have the 1.2 DSG and its fine powerwise, even with a load on.However the unreliability reports are a bit disconcerting especially as this is a car I love. The small turbo engines though, I think, are here to stay. The days of the 1.8 or 2.0 are over. Ford have just released the Focus in a sub 1 litre version and other manufacturers are falling over themselves to bring their compact engines to market .....Different times

Dont think it was the turbo that went - that would have seen much noise/smoke etc but rather the wastegate actuator probably packed in. The wastegate is operated by an electric motor - one of the innovations introduced on the Tsi engines, and it seems VAG suppliers are still trying to get it right. The 1.2 TSi apparently is on its 3rd design and still they need a recall to fit a shim.....The problem is the wastegate actuator cant be replaced by itself, it requires the complete turbo to be changed, but fortunately its on the right side of the engine (the front) and I presume is easy to change.

Eventually VAG will sort it, hopefully 99% of owners will not have a problem (i.e. out of warranty). The 1.2/1.4 Tsi engines themselves are fine and the way of the future. The 1.8Tsi IIRC has had far more problems with its VVT mech.

Dealer said turbo solenoid?

I think I am getting shim and ecu update.

I will post results and let you know.

The "Turbo solenoid" is the electric wastegate actuator - I think its an electric motor c/w gearbox rather than a solenoid. Its the big bit at the right hand end of the long shiny rod coming out of the turbo (actuator rod that moves the wastegate valve)

On the 1.2TSi I believe the problem was that on some turbos occasionally the waste gate actuator jams (presumably in the open position). Its probably what happened to yours. The 1.2Tsi recall/fix involves fitting a 2mm shim to move the actuator position slightly. First time I heard of the problem on the 1.4Tsi but its the same basic design.

no new turbo required....

Edited by xman

The "Turbo solenoid" is the electric wastegate actuator - I think its an electric motor c/w gearbox rather than a solenoid. Its the big bit at the right hand end of the long shiny rod coming out of the turbo (actuator rod that moves the wastegate valve)

On the 1.2TSi I believe the problem was that on some turbos occasionally the waste gate actuator jams (presumably in the open position). Its probably what happened to yours. The 1.2Tsi recall/fix involves fitting a 2mm shim to move the actuator position slightly. First time I heard of the problem on the 1.4Tsi but its the same basic design.

no new turbo required....

Collected my car today ( fixed under warranty ) and this is almost exactly what the dealer said except they replaced the turbo as it was not available as a separate part?

Does it reoccurr?

• 8 years later...

Talking about the 1.2/1.4tsi turbos and the wastegate actuators. If anyone has a busted one may I relieve you of it please. I have a project on the go... 

I would be most grateful and happy to pay for postage etc. 

Many thanks and kind regards 

Kev

Just now, Compstructor said:

Talking about the 1.2/1.4tsi turbos and the wastegate actuators. If anyone has a busted one may I relieve you of it please. I have a project on the go... 

I would be most grateful and happy to pay for postage etc. 

Many thanks and kind regards 

Kev

PS, must be off the 1.4tsi not the 1.2 thanks