Maxidot display

MikeWales

On the way to work this morning, my mpg display on the Maxidot just stuck at 43.3mpg for 15 miles!

I know I am new to the Yeti but I am not light-footed - I am not! :devil:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

On the way to work this morning, my mpg display on the Maxidot just stuck at 43.3mpg for 15 miles!

I know I am new to the Yeti but I am not light-footed - I am not! :devil:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

There are three MPG readouts - Live, 1 and 2 - where 1 = MPG for the current journey and 2 = MPG since it was reset.

did you have it on the right one?

• Like 1

There are three MPG readouts - Live, 1 and 2 - where 1 = MPG for the current journey and 2 = MPG since it was reset.

did you have it on the right one?

Thanks bgw, how do I scroll between them? It isn't clear in the owners handbook. I have the steering wheel controls.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

You use the right hand thumbwheel to scroll through the different displays (out of the ones you have chosen to display in the maxidot setup) but you will only see two of them when you scroll - the live MPG and either the No.1 average MPG or No.2 average MPG - You can switch between the 1 and 2 MPG's by clicking the thumbwheel when either is selected, and you can reset either by holding the thumbwheel when you push it.

Also the No. 1 MPG (current journey) will reset automatically after the car has not been used for about two hours.

• Like 1

Thanks bgw, how do I scroll between them? It isn't clear in the owners handbook. I have the steering wheel controls.

Thanks

Mike

Hello Mike,

I also spent some time before I noticed the scroll button can also be pressed. So you can navigate through the Maxidot menus by scrolling up and down, and then push the scroll button to 'select' it, and the back arrow to go up one level.

Also, to reset a value, you must maintain the sroll button pushed for about two seconds.

Hope that helps ;)

Kind regards.

Edited by Transfesa
  • Like 1

You use the right hand thumbwheel to scroll through the different displays (out of the ones you have chosen to display in the maxidot setup) but you will only see two of them when you scroll - the live MPG and either the No.1 average MPG or No.2 average MPG - You can switch between the 1 and 2 MPG's by clicking the thumbwheel when either is selected, and you can reset either by holding the thumbwheel when you push it.

Also the No. 1 MPG (current journey) will reset automatically after the car has not been used for about two hours.

Hello Mike,

I also spent some time before I noticed the scroll button can also be pressed. So you can navigate through the Maxidot menus by scrolling up and down, and then push the scroll button to 'select' it, and the back arrow to go up one level.

Also, to reset a value, you must maintain the sroll button pushed for about two seconds.

Hope that helps ;)

Kind regards.

Thanks both, yes I didnt realise that the thumbwheel could be pushed!

On one of the displays the mpg changes every couple of seconds to silly figures like 200mpg, 20mpg, 120mpg!

Any ideas what this is or is it a fault?

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Thats the live mpg figure and as such is very sensitive to pedal position gradient etc etc.

The --- that you will sometimes see indicates the pump has shutoff, so no fuel flow i think.

• Like 1

That explains it, thanks for that all - thought it coudlnt have been a fault - not on a Skoda!

I am really enjoying driving this car, round trip of 30 miles per day mostly on country roads. Its all a very relaxing way to travel!

Got to clean Doris tomorrow - pressure hose at the ready!

• Like 1

The --- that you will sometimes see indicates the pump has shutoff, so no fuel flow i think.

Correct.

Hang on: mine shows --- when the car is stationery with the engine idling. Don't think the pump has shut off then.

• Like 1

Not worried about it, just pointing out that --- does not necessarily mean that the pump has shut off/no fuel flow.

Why it doesn't show 0mpg when you're stationary with the engine idling - which would be the correct reading - I don't know.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong it is just the instrument can only display figures range 1 to 200.

Going down hill and no throttle will exceed 200 over range so shows --- . you could be doing 500 MPG

When stationary you are using fuel and obviously not moving so it will be less than 1 under range so shows --- . you could be doing 500 GPN (Gallons Per Nowhere). :giggle:

That's why the Greenline's switch the engine off.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong it is just the instrument can only display figures range 1 to 200.

Going down hill and no throttle will exceed 200 over range so shows --- . you could be doing 500 MPG

When stationary you are using fuel and obviously not moving so it will be less than 1 under range so shows --- . you could be doing 500 GPN (Gallons Per Nowhere). :giggle:

That's why the Greenline's switch the engine off.

Yes, I switch my engine off at traffic lights. It can't make a fuel consumption calculation if you are at rest: it's miles per gallon, and that would mean dividing the fuel used into zero.

Chris

My Yeti shows liters per hour when stationary and engine idling. Switches to liters per 100 km when moving. Only on LHD versions?

That would be interesting to know as I quite often have to sit in the vehicle (in the cold) waiting for folks to come off the 'hills.'

I wonder if any of our VCDS coders would have an answer to this?

It can't make a fuel consumption calculation if you are at rest: it's miles per gallon, and that would mean dividing the fuel used into zero.

There's no mathematical reason why it can't make mpg fuel consumption calculations at rest. Miles per gallon: miles = 0, gallons = ever increasing. Zero divided by anything is zero. Still seems odd that the display can't/won't show zero.

If it was on the metric setting then it would be computationally impossible. The normal metric measure for consumption is litres per kilometre, which when stationary would mean dividing by zero.

Come to think, that could be the explanation: if it always calculates consumption in litres per kilometre, then converts it in to mpg for imperial measurements. If it can't calculate the lpkm, it can't convert to mpg hence ---.

Going downhill and no throttle should mean that no fuel is being used, which would make mpg impossible to calculate because gallons would be zero and you can't divide by zero. If, however, it calculates everything in lpkm then in theory it could report zero lpkm on the over-run - but then converting that to mpg would be impossible anyway.

Finally, and before anyone else says it: I KNOW IT'S NOT BROKEN! (Sorry.) I'm just trying to understand why it works the way it does.

Edited by ejstubbs

When the maxidot is switched to l/km, it changes to l/hr when stationary...why can't it change to gallons per hour, but I suppose as my car uses between 0.6 & 1.0 l/hr that would be 0.13g/hr to 0.22 g/hr. Not enough stuff on the display to show that I guess.

There's no mathematical reason why it can't make mpg fuel consumption calculations at rest. Miles per gallon: miles = 0, gallons = ever increasing. Zero divided by anything is zero. Still seems odd that the display can't/won't show zero.

Presumably because it makes no sense to do so. And for your second point, dividing by zero makes infinity; perhaps it doesn't display that because making the infinity symbol would cost extra . . . :blush:

Chris

Quote EJSTUBBS - "Going downhill and no throttle should mean that no fuel is being used"

Not strictly true cos your engine is (or should be) still running

True, but it is only running because the wheels are turning.

In fact with modern fuel injection systems it is quite likely there is NO fuel being injected.

• Like 1